Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
I have PCM, ABS, ACM and SCCM to be updated. Do I require the USB stick to complete these updates? What order should the updates be done?
Start with the PCM.

If it chains others then fine.

If not then just do them one at a time in whatever order.

But start with the PCM.

And the update itself will tell you if you need the USB stick at the time and you just want to make sure it's completely reformatted and stuck into the laptop before you start the next module update, so you're ready in case it is needed for that update. That's the easiest way to do it. That way you're always ready.

Remember on USB updates, to go to the lower right corner of the task bar and select the "safely eject" command for the USB stick after you've downloaded the files for whatever module you're doing. You don't want to stick a "corrupted' USB drive that you took out of the computer before it was ready to be ejected into your trucks USB port to do an update. Might not go well.

Mike
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You might be right and it's unnecessary to wait for the dash lights to turn off. I could 100% tell the vehicle was doing something while it was off... for some updates, even the screen came on (with a light brightness but nothing on it), eventually it'd stop doing something and all the lights would be off. For some updates it was indeed very quick, others too a while... either way doesn't hurt to wait a bit.
First of all, congratulations on the new-to-you truck and your decision to make it a far better truck than the previous owner unwittingly experienced. :)

And I personally think your suggested work-flow is a very sound approach for those who aren't likely to digest this whole thread before they attempt to update their truck themselves. Sure, there are variations to the procedure that have worked for others, but you have provided a sound and successful one in a single clear and consise post.

Well done in my book.

YACO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Lariat PB
I had been operating on the previous tribal wisdom of getting out, locking the car and taking the key outside of the car's hearing range, and taking a 15 minute break before returning to finalize the update in FDRS with the USB stick. That's worked for me so far.
I did that too. Turned off, locked and walked away with the fob... but I left a camera inside so I could see what was happening. Some updates went way faster than 15 min, others longer... The cool thing is that if you can see clearly when it's done by looking at the lights.

YACO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Lariat PB
First of all, congratulations on the new-to-you truck and your decision to make it a far better truck than the previous owner unwittingly experienced. :)

And I personally think your suggested work-flow is a very sound approach for those who aren't likely to digest this whole thread before they attempt to update their truck themselves. Sure, there are variations to the procedure that have worked for others, but you have provided a sound and successful one in a single clear and consise post.

Well done in my book.
Thanks man. I couldn't wait a month for my scheduled service so I got the mongoose device to do it myself. I'm so glad I did because they probably wouldn't do all the updates or it would take a least a week without my truck. Also, other than Bluecruise, there were powertrain/gear updates that makes the electric motor stay on longer and at higher speeds... the gas engine turns off much sooner (after breaking/not accelerating), both already helped a lot to increase mpg. Plus all the connected/mobile app features/info I wasn't able to use before. Way happier with the truck now.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Start with the PCM.

If it chains others then fine.

If not then just do them one at a time in whatever order.

But start with the PCM.

And the update itself will tell you if you need the USB stick at the time and you just want to make sure it's completely reformatted and stuck into the laptop before you start the next module update, so you're ready in case it is needed for that update. That's the easiest way to do it. That way you're always ready.

Remember on USB updates, to go to the lower right corner of the task bar and select the "safely eject" command for the USB stick after you've downloaded the files for whatever module you're doing. You don't want to stick a "corrupted' USB drive that you took out of the computer before it was ready to be ejected into your trucks USB port to do an update. Might not go well.

Mike
Thanks Mike...just waiting for the charger/power supply.. should be here Monday/ Tuesday.

Sponsored

mflynndelta

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Powerboost Platinum White 7.2kw pro
Occupation
Retired
So to drill down into this a bit...what version of Sync do you have now in your truck (Sync About)?

And would this be a normal progression of OTAs for your truck or is this out of the ordinary/out of sequence? Some people have been offered OTAs recently that would actually take them back to previous software versions (if they had allowed the update to proceed).

This version you're being offered is several versions before BlueCruise functionality comes into effect. Can I assume you do not have BlueCruise at this point?

I was just about to ask that.

Welcome to the club. You're now something like the 5th person who has posted this issue.

Yeah I would not install that update. It will eventually timeout and fail.

I would however, contact your service department and ask them to pull up your VIN in the OTA dashboard in PTS and report this issue through their channels.

Mike
I don't remember what the timeout period is. I just heard from a forum member on the MME forums that this OTA revision thing was supposed to have been fixed. It is possible that this OTA for you was still in queue and has just not run out the clock yet.

I would just continue to close it instead of updating. It will eventually fail and stop.

Mike
UPDATE. EVEN AFTER 10 DAYS IT STILL TRYING TO UPDATE ota 2.73 VERSION. areyou sure it is not possibleto cancel this ?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I believe the main difference in Blue Cruise and
UPDATE. EVEN AFTER 10 DAYS IT STILL TRYING TO UPDATE ota 2.73 VERSION. areyou sure it is not possibleto cancel this ?

I cant believe how stupid Ford is. Your only option is to call the Ford Pass team and get forwarded to OTA team.

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Finally have a free day to attempt this. IPMA going currently. Fingers crossed I can finish most of these today!
Thanks again to all the folks on here for guiding us in this process.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe the main difference in Blue Cruise and

I cant believe how stupid Ford is. Your only option is to call the Ford Pass team and get forwarded to OTA team.
This is from the manual, for those who don't have access to that. There are a lot of smart folks on here so I'm not trying to insult anybody's intelligence, this is for SA only:

Cancellation of Ongoing OTA Updates

The customer does not have the direct ability to cancel an OTA system software update. There are a few reasons why an update may be canceled.

• Ford Motor Company can cancel the update at any time before the installation of the update is complete.
  • If the automatic updates setting has been toggled to OFF, with the vehicle connectivity selection still enabled, the update will expire after a period of time if a manual update icon is not available from the vehicle display screen determined based on currently installed software.
  • A master reset can cancel an ongoing update.
Mike

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
This is from the manual, for those who don't have access to that. There are a lot of smart folks on here so I'm not trying to insult anybody's intelligence, this is for SA only:

Cancellation of Ongoing OTA Updates

The customer does not have the direct ability to cancel an OTA system software update. There are a few reasons why an update may be canceled.

• Ford Motor Company can cancel the update at any time before the installation of the update is complete.
  • If the automatic updates setting has been toggled to OFF, with the vehicle connectivity selection still enabled, the update will expire after a period of time if a manual update icon is not available from the vehicle display screen determined based on currently installed software.
  • A master reset can cancel an ongoing update.
Mike
Im not sure why you quoted me? Then proceed to say you arent questioning anyone's intelligence. What is different in that than what I said?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Im not sure why you quoted me? Then proceed to say you arent questioning anyone's intelligence. What is different in that than what I said?
Sorry, no offense intended it was simply a follow-up to your comments. I just happened to be reading that bit in the manual when I saw your post.

I didn't actually know that part about a master reset cancelling an OTA and figured others might not know that either.

Mike

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In addition to the good suggestions above, if you’re ambitious consider upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. It’s easy to clone and swap out a hard drive, a 1TB SSD can be had for less than $80, a USB adapter to do the cloning is less than $10 and good cloning software can be downloaded for free. Your laptop is a little slow. It will work fine as is but an SSD will make it boot up and run much faster. Plus, an SSD is more resistant to bumps and short drops—a good feature in the garage.
Thanks for the suggestion. The laptop has a 1 TB and I have a USB remote hard drive, also 1 TB. Just not SSD's.

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21(1).302.PB.157.OX
anyone mind checking mine? 1FTFW1ED8MFB55506