OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Jesse. Is this a complete list of the modules on the Ethernet chain that can be updated OTA? If so, that tells me that none of the other modules in the truck will ever see software updates unless: (1) you do it yourself; or (2) the module malfunctions to the point where a repair is necessary and the dealer can trace the problem to out-of-date software on that module. Thanks.
Just to add, IPMA is on ethernet, yet it needs to be updated via CAN bus. No USB update available. Does this mean, no OTA for IPMA neither ? IPMA is a critical unit in our trucks handling various functions, such as cameras, cruise control, lane keeping, and of course BlueCruise (for those who have it). Lots of people are going to be left out of critical updates this way, unless you do it yourself, or rely on dealers mercy. Also, IPMA update via CAN bus is painfully slow (and nerve-racking)
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I believe it is.. there are only 5 spots.. Trucks that dont have the 8" or 12" cluster that spot is not populated. I added the ethernet to my truck for the cluster. Its not mandatory for functionality but I did anyway.

I cant say at some point ford wont try to push updates to other modules through can bus but I feel it is unlikely. The gateway is the main server so to say. So they could possibly try it but the ethernet was introduce for the speed capability. Can bus is limited. The Bcm for example had an update and it was Dealer(FDRS) only. PCM also. SO I think if they could they already would have

I just wanted to make sure that people understood the OTA is limited right now to those modules. SO that is why it is important to know and have these updates. Early F150s like mine the auto up window didnt work. I had to update both door modules for it to work. THe time it would have taken to drop off and doo all that ... its just a pain. I dont like dealing with them. So the people that have gone the DIY route are making a wise decision. Again at first I wasnt aware of a more budget friendly option. Now there is one it is unquestionably important to have the capability

I may be wrong about the B&O amp but I believe it is ethernet also. Ill have to dig more into it.
Yeah, that makes sense. I don’t even know how Ford could push an update to a module only on the CAN bus unless it was also on the Ethernet. What would be the pathway?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not what I was suggesting. The IPMA can also take updates via the CAN bus. That’s how you do it manually. What I was asking Jesse was for the list of modules that were on the Ethernet. I was not suggesting that Ethernet was the only method for these modules.
My bad. I read between the lines without realizing.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah, that makes sense. I don’t even know how Ford could push an update to a module only on the CAN bus unless it was also on the Ethernet. What would be the pathway?
I forgot the IPMA.. Sorry about that. That is the other one on ethernet. How I forgot that I dont know.

They can update through the can bus. Since the gateway is the source of all the can bus also. The updates download to the gateway. It distributes them out. The BCM sends out the ON command to the gateway. Then the gateway turns everything on. It creates all the other buses. CanBus its slow as can be. What is it limited to like 500k or something. That is why the IPMA update take so long through canbus. I dont know why a USB update wasnt an option. I just know that the canbus route sucks. Iceman did his TCU update in minutes mine took HOURS> becuase I couldnt get the USB to stop erroring out. So it would be risky for ford to do a canbus update. Possibility of something interrupting it are far greater.

Can Bus
HS1
HS2
HS3
HS4
HS
HS FD
MS Can
MS2 Can

Plus the ethernet and you have various modules on each.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I think the OTA for IPMA is a risky one for Ford. Its so involved in all the safety and collision systems. If it were to error out during an OTA I think it would be a huge headache. Doesnt explain why no USB update.

Sponsored

BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost (Job 2)
I think the OTA for IPMA is a risky one for Ford. Its so involved in all the safety and collision systems. If it were to error out during an OTA I think it would be a huge headache. Doesnt explain why no USB update.
I received this email yesterday about a BlueCruise update coming; it looks like purely a map update. Curious if anyone knows if they are also updating the IPMA as part? I'm not exactly sure where everything resides for BlueCruise. Sorry if a silly question.

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS Screenshot 2022-01-25 122941

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I forgot the IPMA.. Sorry about that. That is the other one on ethernet. How I forgot that I dont know.

They can update through the can bus. Since the gateway is the source of all the can bus also. The updates download to the gateway. It distributes them out. The BCM sends out the ON command to the gateway. Then the gateway turns everything on. It creates all the other buses. CanBus its slow as can be. What is it limited to like 500k or something. That is why the IPMA update take so long through canbus. I dont know why a USB update wasnt an option. I just know that the canbus route sucks. Iceman did his TCU update in minutes mine took HOURS> becuase I couldnt get the USB to stop erroring out. So it would be risky for ford to do a canbus update. Possibility of something interrupting it are far greater.

Can Bus
HS1
HS2
HS3
HS4
HS
HS FD
MS Can
MS2 Can

Plus the ethernet and you have various modules on each.
Ok. So, if I’m understanding correctly, theoretically any module could be updated OTA. Ford would just need to push it to the gateway and then the gateway would send the update to the proper destination. Is that right? I could understand why Ford would not want to push some updates out that way. My manual IPMA update took over four hours via CAN bus. But that’s a different issue.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Ok. So, if I’m understanding correctly, theoretically any module could be updated OTA. Ford would just need to push it to the gateway and then the gateway would send the update to the proper destination. Is that right? I could understand why Ford would not want to push some updates out that way. My manual IPMA update took over four hours via CAN bus. But that’s a different issue.
Yes.. they possibly could. But not sure they would as the ethernet is what they added specifically for OTA

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I received this email yesterday about a BlueCruise update coming; it looks like purely a map update. Curious if anyone knows if they are also updating the IPMA as part? I'm not exactly sure where everything resides for BlueCruise. Sorry if a silly question.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 122941.png
Bluecruise works off of approved premapped roads/highways. This seems more targeted to those that have it already. Do you have a truck with bluecruise. Job 2 trucks have it already.

They have maps updated for anyone with connected nav they are always updating maps. I have noticed several roads that when I bought the truck were not on my map and now are. They are updating them fairly regularly from what I see in dallas at least. My maps rival the apple and google options for accuracy.

BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost (Job 2)
Bluecruise works off of approved premapped roads/highways. This seems more targeted to those that have it already. Do you have a truck with bluecruise. Job 2 trucks have it already.

They have maps updated for anyone with connected nav they are always updating maps. I have noticed several roads that when I bought the truck were not on my map and now are. They are updating them fairly regularly from what I see in dallas at least. My maps rival the apple and google options for accuracy.
Yes, I have a job 2 truck (8/21 build) with BlueCruise, but I've never had an OTA update applied, even for BlueCruise.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yes, I have a job 2 truck (8/21 build) with BlueCruise, but I've never had an OTA update applied, even for BlueCruise.
Job 2 trucks dont have any as of yet.

DeltaDeuce

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum Powerboost 701A High
I am doing an update right now and have tackled everything but the TCU. I have the flash drive in and the truck will ask to be restarted, and then just keeps asking over and over. I have it on a constant power supply now with the door open. Figured I would let it run overnight and see if that makes a difference. Appreciate any help you fine folks could offer. Thanks!

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I am doing an update right now and have tackled everything but the TCU. I have the flash drive in and the truck will ask to be restarted, and then just keeps asking over and over. I have it on a constant power supply now with the door open. Figured I would let it run overnight and see if that makes a difference. Appreciate any help you fine folks could offer. Thanks!
Try battery disconnect. Reconnect, turn ignition ON, if you see SYNC message “restart required”, shut down open/close driver door. wait 30 mins. That’s what worked for me

Another alternative (as per @Snakebitten) is to remove the USB flash drive after vehicle has been shut down.

You just have to see what works out for you!

DeltaDeuce

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum Powerboost 701A High
Try battery disconnect. Reconnect, turn ignition ON, if you see SYNC message “restart required”, shut down open/close driver door. wait 30 mins. That’s what worked for me

Another alternative (as per @Snakebitten) is to remove the USB flash drive after vehicle has been shut down.

You just have to see what works out for you!
Being a powerboost will disconnecting the battery really do anything?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Being a powerboost will disconnecting the battery really do anything?
No. Disconnecting the battery on a Powerboost won’t help. It’ll just run down the auxiliary 7.5 Ah AGM battery under the back seat and might damage it. Don’t do it.

What worked for me is to leave the transponder in the truck, if you’re in a secure location. Then open and CLOSE the door and walk away from the truck for 15-30 minutes. Just leave it alone. I only needed 15 minutes doing it this way prior to restarting.
Sponsored