Sponsored

Cnixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I'm getting ready to begin the FDRS updates from the beginning and came across a YouTube video by "the big heavy" showing the process he had to go through to get his truck to read the flash drive. He had to use an ethernet adapter and cable which I hadn't heard of before in what I have read on this thread. Do I need to be prepared with that cable and adapter in addition to the mongoose to complete the process before shipping the mongoose I am borrowing back? Thanks.
I never had to use the Ethernet adapter for my 21
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'm getting ready to begin the FDRS updates from the beginning and came across a YouTube video by "the big heavy" showing the process he had to go through to get his truck to read the flash drive. He had to use an ethernet adapter and cable which I hadn't heard of before in what I have read on this thread. Do I need to be prepared with that cable and adapter in addition to the mongoose to complete the process before shipping the mongoose I am borrowing back? Thanks.
Grab a few different cheapie USB drives (no samsungs!). I have a dozen and the only one that works is chinese cheapie 8GB that came with one of my fiber lasers. Sandisks are reported to work, try getting 2 different styles. I have a sandisk that won't work.

The vehicle fails to read it when it says to plug in the USB to the vehicle after FDRS writes the files from the laptop. You can save time by going for GWM updates first if you have one as they're the smallest file sizes.

Cnixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Grab a few different cheapie USB drives (no samsungs!). I have a dozen and the only one that works is chinese cheapie 8GB that came with one of my fiber lasers. Sandisks are reported to work, try getting 2 different styles. I have a sandisk that won't work.

The vehicle fails to read it when it says to plug in the USB to the vehicle after FDRS writes the files from the laptop. You can save time by going for GWM updates first if you have one as they're the smallest file sizes.

This, I use a 32GB PNY USB 3.0 drive with great success

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
he is not doing a standard FDRS, that is a special one for trucks with broken OTA systems, only happened on 2021 Jobs 1 trucks. Hopefully you don’t need that specific one.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
I used a pny usb 2 drive that has to be 10 years old. Don’t get caught up on the usb 3 requirement listed, it doesn’t matter other than maybe saying you a minute or two

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I appreciate the replies about the ethernet and usb drives, thank you!

I apologize if I'm asking questions that have been previously asked and answered, I have tried to read up as much as I could before posting questions. One thing I haven't been able to find an answer to is, does having made forscan changes increase chances of having problems with the FDRS updates? If so, would returning the changes back to stock settings through forscan prior to beginning the FDRS updates be beneficial? Thanks?

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties

I apologize if I'm asking questions that have been previously asked and answered, I have tried to read up as much as I could before posting questions. One thing I haven't been able to find an answer to is, does having made forscan changes increase chances of having problems with the FDRS updates? If so, would returning the changes back to stock settings through forscan prior to beginning the FDRS updates be beneficial? Thanks?
Shouldn’t need to make your changes again. Think of FDRS as windows update, and Forscan as your settings/preferences.

yes I am oversimplifying.
Yes you should backup your Forscan changes just in case.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE

Once in FDRS and looking at pending updates, it's best to backup any of the changes you've made in forscan before updating a module as the changes may not have been saved yet. With FDRS up and running, if you unplug the mongoose from the laptop and plug it back in, it will release the com port and forscan can be started and it will connect to the truck. If you want to update the APIM, go into forscan and save the data with save all feature once you're in the variable programming area for the APIM. Once you close forscan you can then go back to using FDRS as it releases the com port.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I have 2021 Job 2, never received an OTA update. Reading too many horror stories about FDRS updates, I refused to do it since my truck (knock on wood) has no issues.
But the tips of my fingers started to tickle recently; I usually never miss an update on any electronic device.
So I read through the first 50 pages which date back exactly 2 years ago, I am not sure if anything "progressed" in the process, but I still need clarifications on some points.

1. What is the difference between the mongoose and VCX? At some point, people started talking
about - and using - VCX adapter.

2. In the FDRS software download page, there are 4 steps with other pieces of software to
download (IDS, VCI, VMS, etc). Do I need those too, or just the FDRS (current version 39.6.4)?

3. If you leave the truck (in normal condition) in Accessory mode, it shuts itself down after 30
minutes. Am I understanding correctly, that with the batter maintainer connected to the
battery, this will prevent the auto shutdown?

4. In post #10 (first page), iceman wrote "wait until all components shut down".
Going to my question above, will the batter maintainer not prevent full shut down?!

5. In regards to backing up Forscan changes (I have a few) - if those changes are deleted during
the FDRS update process, is it better to re-upload my back up, or simply re-write the changes
from scratch?

6. What is "CANBUS"? At some point it was mentioned updating via canbus instead?! Not sure
what that is.

7. Assuming all goes well and successfully "unclog" the OTA Update stopper, can I expect to start
receiving all updates OTA going forward? Are there any updates that cannot be done OTA?

Appreciate everyone's help and wisdom in this forum. I am sure more questions will come up.

Thanks.

Sponsored

Micho523

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
I'll answer your questions with the short versions, others will likely fill in more:

1. Only use the Mongoose or Ford's VCM 3. The VCX Nano had issues and is no longer supported.

2. You only need FDRS. I also chose to install FJDS.

3. Programming overrides this auto shut down. Keep it on a minimum 20A power supply and all will be fine.

4. This is the same as rebooting a computer after updates. Modules will power down appropriately after the programming is done.

5. Re-write from scratch. Updates can and will change multiple values. Restoring the entire as-built for a module could brick it.

6. It is a communication protocol. No need to worry about it.

7. There are some non-OTA updates. Once you get your APIM past the "broken" updates, OTA will take over. I would recommend you fully update with FDRS while you've got it though.

BluStreak

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Occupation
Photographer
I know the Mongoose and VCM3 are the best options, but has anyone used the Autel Maxiflash? I ask because I was talking with my local mechanic/neighbor and he said he had just gotten one and said I could use it for my "experimenting" into the module updates. It looks similar to the VCM 3 unit but i think it only supports J2534-1 and J2534-2.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I'll answer your questions with the short versions, others will likely fill in more:

1. Only use the Mongoose or Ford's VCM 3. The VCX Nano had issues and is no longer supported.

2. You only need FDRS. I also chose to install FJDS.

3. Programming overrides this auto shut down. Keep it on a minimum 20A power supply and all will be fine.

4. This is the same as rebooting a computer after updates. Modules will power down appropriately after the programming is done.

5. Re-write from scratch. Updates can and will change multiple values. Restoring the entire as-built for a module could brick it.

6. It is a communication protocol. No need to worry about it.

7. There are some non-OTA updates. Once you get your APIM past the "broken" updates, OTA will take over. I would recommend you fully update with FDRS while you've got it though.
Thanks @Micho523 .

20A or 10A? I only saw only 10A mentioned in posts.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks @Micho523 .

20A or 10A? I only saw only 10A mentioned in posts.
The first time I updated manually, I used a 10amp and I was able to get away with it, but the voltage did get a little lower than I was comfortable with during longer updates. if you're going to buy one, go with a 20amp. The Clore that was recommended to you is the same one I have now, and I also bought it when it dropped down to $80 during Black Friday last year. It's a great charger/power supply and a great deal at that price.
Sponsored