Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Bummer!

I'm so disappointed seeing this happen to any of us with FDRS.

Other than the nano-CCM incompatibility that wasn't catastrophic, this is the first unrecoverable uhoh for those that have taken OTA issues into their own hands.

I really hope this update gets pulled quickly. It would be unfortunate for there to be an "official" argument against what we are doing. Although I would argue that the dealership will experience the same result, so it wouldn't be a valid stance.
I just checked FDRS and the only update I'm showing available is a ABS module. Did the BCM not get kicked out for my Platinum or was it already removed from FDRS?
Sponsored

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
Are you all using the battery charger power supply mode when doing the updates? I remember when I did the latest BCM update it did several truck resets in a row that seemed like big power draws which scared the shit out of me! Afterwards I thought… I’m glad I had the battery charger to Power Supply mode when it happened.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
On my Job2 2022 KingRanch, the very recent ABS update is the first and only update to populate FDRS since my truck was shipped from Dearborn.

Unlike my Job1 2021 Platinum that eventually needed ~24 updates before being up to date and fully the truck Ford promised, this 2022 truck doesn't give me the FDRS itch nearly as much. :)

I sure as heck won't be the first person posting here on whatever update was recently released, if you know what I mean.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The BCM update at least for the Power Boost is a NO GO! It is missing files fromt he update package causing a failure. If you have a powerboost and do the update after this warning I dont know what to say.

I was able to fix the one thankfully. I am so happy about that It was a miracle hail mary. SO please do not do the BCM update for PowerBoost.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have PCM, ABS, ACM and SCCM showing as updates available as of July 6th. I was thinking about doing them this weekend. Would it be safe to do those as long as the BCM update is left alone or better not doing any updates until things are shorted out? I am thinking don't touch for now.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have PCM, ABS, ACM and SCCM showing as updates available as of July 6th. I was thinking about doing them this weekend. Would it be safe to do those as long as the BCM update is left alone or better not doing any updates until things are shorted out? I am thinking don't touch for now.
No other update is an issue other than the BCM at this moment

I have seen the BCM update was missing files. Since it is a wipe and rewrite and doesnt load all the files back that is why it bricks. Fails the checking software download.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No other update is an issue other than the BCM at this moment

I have seen the BCM update was missing files. Since it is a wipe and rewrite and doesnt load all the files back that is why it bricks. Fails the checking software download.
I have no problems with the truck, so I am thinking best wait a bit before I give it a try. Also, this will be the first time I am doing an update.

Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
As usual I'm just baffled at Ford's mentality to pushing OTA's and software via FDRS. You would think Ford would have a fleet of vehicles to test this software on. I realize that testing every variation would be tough, but a general check against PB, Eco 3.6, Diesel, etc should be a starting point.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
I'm relieved for you Tonesto. :)

Good Ole Jesse has to put up with all kinds.
I'm just happy to see we haven't worn him out.

Yet
We talk quite often and he is constantly helping others, He really is an amazing person!

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
As usual I'm just baffled at Ford's mentality to pushing OTA's and software via FDRS. You would think Ford would have a fleet of vehicles to test this software on. I realize that testing every variation would be tough, but a general check against PB, Eco 3.6, Diesel, etc should be a starting point.
I am not by any measure a Ford apologist, but on this one occasion I have some sympathy. This BCM software update is part of Customer Service Program (CSP) 21M08 to remedy the unintended tailgate release. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214132-0001.pdf. The program rollout is not complete—notification to dealers to schedule appointments haven’t gone out and istallation instructions haven’t been released yet. All Ford has said so far is to expect a fix in Late Q3. It may very well be that Ford released the software to FDRS (perhaps for testing), not expecting that non-dealer owners would just grab it and install it without any idea what it was for. Should they have released half-baked software because of the very real risk for misuse? No. It was irresponsible. But was this entirely Ford’s fault? Not in my opinion. @iceman77 was pretty blunt when this whole self-help craze started that updating your own trucks was not entirely without risk. Things can go wrong, and in this instance did.

I probably will install the BCM update—at my own risk—once Ford has released information to dealers that the program rollout is complete and dealers can schedule appointments.

JDPEagle

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
I am not by any measure a Ford apologist, but on this one occasion I have some sympathy. This BCM software update is part of Customer Service Program (CSP) 21M08 to remedy the unintended tailgate release. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214132-0001.pdf. The program rollout is not complete—notification to dealers to schedule appointments haven’t gone out and istallation instructions haven’t been released yet. All Ford has said so far is to expect a fix in Late Q3. It may very well be that Ford released the software to FDRS (perhaps for testing), not expecting that non-dealer owners would just grab it and install it without any idea what it was for. Should they have released half-baked software because of the very real risk for misuse? No. It was irresponsible. But was this entirely Ford’s fault? Not in my opinion. @iceman77 was pretty blunt when this whole self-help craze started that updating your own trucks was not entirely without risk. Things can go wrong, and in this instance did.

I probably will install the BCM update—at my own risk—once Ford has released information to dealers that the program rollout is complete and dealers can schedule appointments.
Hit the nail on the head, here. When the BCM updates (successfully), the notification instructs the dealer to provide an owner's manual supplement to the vehicle owner. That supplement is not even available yet (per CSP 21M08). Guess this is why dealers will only update software that is part of a TSB or CSP.

I really got lucky this time, and I really appreciate @Jesse-Infotainment sounding the alarm.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hit the nail on the head, here. When the BCM updates (successfully), the notification instructs the dealer to provide an owner's manual supplement to the vehicle owner. That supplement is not even available yet (per CSP 21M08). Guess this is why dealers will only update software that is part of a TSB or CSP.

I really got lucky this time, and I really appreciate @Jesse-Infotainment sounding the alarm.
Maybe. That CSP does not show up for my truck on the Ford Support site, yet the BCM update showed up in FDRS.
Sponsored