First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I believe 2.7.2 is Power Boost Only and you are a powerboost. I just looked. SO you should have gotten it.
I'm just really confused at this point. I've had no action since the 30th, the two 2.7.3 failure messages. I'm going to go on a drive to make sure the battery is full charge just to see if it kicks something off.
Sponsored

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
It has either happened to someone, or is about to happen to someone.

I thought mine was just a fluke but now we got 3 confirmed members on here with potential downgrades almost pushed to them.
Make it 4, I checked mine tonight and it is trying to take me back to Power-Up 2.6.0 from 2.8.3. Mine Failed on 28 June and is due to expire on 5 July.

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Me too but I’m not as bad, it’s trying to take me back to 2.8.2 when I’m already at 2.8.3 and have no outstanding updates available in FDRS.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's interesting that these are all failed attempts. And rightfully so. Making it even stranger that it succeeded on any truck.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
It's interesting that these are all failed attempts. And rightfully so. Making it even stranger that it succeeded on any truck.
Yes, this is very interesting. Could it be that the ota cloud servers are sending updates as they think are needed. Then allowing them to expire and trying the next and so on. In some sort of crazy why to catch up or sync with the vehicles software to the cloud status. The cloud server can then mark each update as complete. It's seems like a strange why to do things, but Ford logic is a strange thing to begin with.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, this is very interesting. Could it be that the ota cloud servers are sending updates as they think are needed. Then allowing them to expire and trying the next and so on. In some sort of crazy why to catch up or sync with the vehicles software to the cloud status. The cloud server can then mark each update as complete. It's seems like a strange why to do things, but Ford logic is a strange thing to begin with.
I don't know if we have anyone who has revealed code level knowledge of these updates. It would be very interesting to find a source for such information.

But having said that, it's fundamental in the software world for there to be versioning controls in every update package. Even if a device mistakenly attempted to install an update that would be adverse to its current version, the checks are in place for prompts like "this update is already installed", or "this update is not compatible with the current configuration", or............whatever is appropriate.

Safeguarding against what happened to speedracercjr is basic practice. Even if the OTA side of the equation failed because of some kind of cloud anomaly, the files themselves should be required to pass a failsafe versioning check.

I'm stunned they installed. That's just amazing to me.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Exactly Snake, how are old versions even allowed to be sent down on a newer version truck. My truck had successfully OTA’ed 2.8.2, I was pushed the equivalent of 1.6, not even in the realm of being close. Like Jesse said I got super lucky only the APIM was pushed and not the gateway or I would have been screwed.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just something for thought. My truck was into the dealer on June 27th and was upgraded to Sync 22095 Rev 421, along with some of the other modules. If I am not mistaken is 2.8.3. I was taking to the tech who was doing the updates and noticed the following:
1. He had a battery charger connected across the battery, which I questioned him about. His reply was he always rests the BSM.
2. I went out tonight to turn off my auto updates and it was already off. Also, my update time and days were reset to nothing.

I don't know if this adds anything useful or adds more confusion.

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
There's a big problem in the sense that without public acknowledgement from Ford about this sort of thing, our only way of knowing if it's fixed or not is through gathering statistics from the community over time.

If we advise the community to turn off OTA auto-updates (and it sounds like we are), the biggest problem is that we'll be less inclined to find out if it's fixed because someone will have to risk their truck just to see, and who wants to do that?

Is there someone in the Ford community who actually can gain an audience with Ford engineering? Someone with a huge social media type of presence? This seems like a huge problem that requires communication from Ford itself. I can't really see myself turning back on OTA updates again unless Ford acknowledges the issue and then announced it's fixed.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There's a big problem in the sense that without public acknowledgement from Ford about this sort of thing, our only way of knowing if it's fixed or not is through gathering statistics from the community over time.

If we advise the community to turn off OTA auto-updates (and it sounds like we are), the biggest problem is that we'll be less inclined to find out if it's fixed because someone will have to risk their truck just to see, and who wants to do that?

Is there someone in the Ford community who actually can gain an audience with Ford engineering? Someone with a huge social media type of presence? This seems like a huge problem that requires communication from Ford itself. I can't really see myself turning back on OTA updates again unless Ford acknowledges the issue and then announced it's fixed.
FWIW-I did contact the Ford Social Media account here and explained my situation. I included pics of my "about" screen (at rev 421/2.8.3) and the OTA in the queue for 2.1.0 from the widget. He did assign a case number and promised to send it along to the F150 customer experience team. I'm not expecting anything to come of it but at least I can say I tried to let them know.

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21(1).302.PB.157.OX
Exactly Snake, how are old versions even allowed to be sent down on a newer version truck. My truck had successfully OTA’ed 2.8.2, I was pushed the equivalent of 1.6, not even in the realm of being close. Like Jesse said I got super lucky only the APIM was pushed and not the gateway or I would have been screwed.
did you connect with ford in any capacity after fixing the 1.7 freeze? were your send diagnostics or auto updates turned off? have you taken it in at all for service or anything? wonder if it still thought you were froze at 1.7 and tried to roll it back and try again?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
did you connect with ford in any capacity after fixing the 1.7 freeze? were your send diagnostics or auto updates turned off? have you taken it in at all for service or anything? wonder if it still thought you were froze at 1.7 and tried to roll it back and try again?
With the existing infrastructure that already is in place, where the truck literally updates the cloud with its current ASbuilt and software P/N, there's no reason whatsoever for the Ford Server to be unaware.

Ford's servers KNOW what our trucks have onboard. OTA couldn't even exist without that record being polled for, then hosted, and then being THE determing factor in any OTA push.
Sponsored