First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 - Oxford White
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller • USAF Veteran
You guys that “settled” and just got the eco because you were impatient just don‘t understand what you're missing.

Harsh but true. I’m glad you enjoy your trucks but...
I wouldn't call it settling. Whether or not their hybrid system has been around for a while, it hasn't been in an F150 before. I don't want to spend that sort of money to be Ford's beta tester when it sounds like they've already got more than enough issues to address already.

I absolutely hate the auto start/stop feature in any vehicle so going Powerboost was an obvious no given the fact that it's essentially a start/stop on steroids. Enjoy that extra torque and fuel economy though!
Sponsored

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
Coming from the 5.0, I went with the PB. The 5.0 ate oil. The fix was a joke.

My initial impression with the PB is its just awesome! I have 1000 miles on the truck.
Fuel mileage appears to be as close to as advertised as possible. In some cases better.

The dealer has my truck at the moment, for a bunch of tests on the regen braking. I am sure that it will be figured out soon. Other than that, this is by far the best truck I have ever driven.

Personally, the PB is everything I could ask for. Awesome interior, Lots of Power, really Fast, handles exceptional, fuel mileage is great, seemless start stop transfer and a built in generator that is available when ever I need it.

Everyday I drive it I learn something new about it and the technology involved.
Well done Ford.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
I’m very pleased with my powerboost. It is noticeably faster than my prior 18 F150 FX4 with the second Gen 3.5L engine. I really like this powertrain. It’s not flawless but it’s damn good for the first year.

ImMrKeith

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
So, I know this has been discussed and I have read a lot of information, thankful for this forum. I am really struggling with Eco vs Power. I am looking at Platinum level only and there is low inventory. I was set on PB but "my guy" says they are not dealing due to supply/ demand. Now that we have some history and data, what are the advantages/ disadvantages likes/ dislikes between the two? Is it worth saving on the PB by going with the EB? Should I just wait, or go with EB? I am a bit skeptical with year one, but did own a 2018 EB albeit a 6 speed. Please help, my deal is coming down to the wire.
You understand that the powerboost is the 3.5 ecoboost..right?

platinum99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 Platinum 702A
I passed on the powerboost and went for the regular eco. Completely redesigned truck, new powertrain, electronics, etc was just too much of a game for me.
I went the same route seems a lot of new stuff that could go bad. I am sure they tested the poweboost. The f150 is the bread and butter for them can't have it going south.

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I went the same route seems a lot of new stuff that could go bad. I am sure they tested the poweboost. The f150 is the bread and butter for them can't have it going south.
Bread and butter or not, my 16’ had serious issues and spent months in the shop with my gen 2 eco and terrible pano roof. It happens man. Powerboost won’t be immune from issues.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Beernut, are any of these potential Powerboost uses relevant for you, either now or later in your ownership?

— RV trailer owners will appreciate having their own utility company with them.
— Others owning work trucks or towing work trailers - construction, ranch/farm, specialty work - might also wish to have access to that utility company in the truck bed
— Certain combinations of driving conditions might better suit the PB. I live in a very hilly small city but let’s also think of someone in hilly San Francisco, Boston or San Diego. Much inner-city driving is restricted to 25-35 mph speeds. Local driving will be a repetitious cycle of benefitting by electrical assist or propulsion on level ground and uphill plus battery charging on descents and when braking.
— Some areas of the country suffer from fragile domestic electrical systems and/or inevitable destructive storm systems. As shown in F150 forum threads, there’s an appeal to having a substantial amount of supplementary electricity available during a utility failure, coming from a source that will have fresh fuel and and is likely to be well maintained, unlike that old generator in the back of the garage
— Some owners are simply drawn to electrically assisted vehicles, in part for the occasional quieter ride and also out of simple personal preference
- Conversely, others might be attracted to the max performance numbers of the PB

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
....I absolutely hate the auto start/stop feature in any vehicle so going Powerboost was an obvious no given the fact that it's essentially a start/stop on steroids. Enjoy that extra torque and fuel economy though!
If you haven't driven a PB you might want to check it out for this very reason. I hated the start/stop feature on my 2019 Limited HO 3.5EB. In test driving a couple PB's I was amazed by how infrequently they did start/stop the gas engine. That big 1.5kw battery holds lots of juice and the smoothness of the startup was far superior to my Limited's HO 3.5 EB. I live in FL and the sales guy and I must have sat in the truck for at least 20 minutes with a/c running having a discussion and fiddling with the screen and menu options, the gas engine never kicked in - not bad compared to my other start/stop experience.

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
My question is about EB pro power vs. PB pro power. I do not see myself frequently needing more than 2kw simultaneously, but it might be nice to have occassionally. I do not own a house so the power-your-house point is kind of moot to me.

The decision for me all comes down to cost, availability, and how frequently the engine cycles on and off with the PB in generator mode.

I plan on using the truck just for camping power supply (re-charge portable batteries during the day while running the fridge, hotspot, etc.; run fridge, fan, and USB chargers off portable battery at night) My estimated day and night power needs are:

DeviceHours / dayVoltageAmpsWattsWatt-hours / day
Fridge14121.518252
Fan12120.3448
USB charge block14512.060840
Computer charge6204.080480
Hotspot1253.015180
Lights3121.01236
Battery charge -
Yeti Fast Charge 25A

DeviceHours / nightVoltageAmpsWattsWatt-hours / night
Fridge10121.518180
Fan12120.3448
Lights3121.01236

Cost-wise, my preferred build (XL, FX4, white) on the EB comes out to about $46k, on the PB it comes out to about $50k. My dealer says he can get my PB XL built and delivered in 8-12 weeks (way faster than other places I've called). I figure I save ~$400 / year on gas with the PB, and that both will depreciate at the same rate, so it is almost a wash there.

Rate competitiveness and availability may be what it comes down to. But I really like the idea of re-charging my overnight battery while powering my daytime electronics, and not having to run the engine that entire time. That's why I made this thread to estimate how frequently under different watt loads the engine on the PB cycles on and off in generator mode. If it's only coming on for a few minutes every 30 minutes or so under a 600w load, that's way better than having to keep the EB engine running straight for a few hours while the portable battery tops back up.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Powerboost is smooooooooth. Wooooosh and you are doing 90. Insanely smooth power delivery.
Sponsored