First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Looking to start a thread regarding Ecoboost maintence.

What are your recommendations (or what do you use) for:
• fully synthetic oil
• oil filter
• air filter
• cabin filter
• fuel additives
• other fluids/ lubricants (axles, joints, other points of maintenance)

I am coming from a 3.0 powerstroke, so all of these things are different for me on the Ecoboost.
Sponsored

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
I will be new to the Ecoboost as well and did some searching about engine oil. These engines get pushed pretty hard and they made the an important improvement when they added port side injectors in 18+. Any synthetic oil that meets the newer SPI plus specification(LSPI prevention) is a simple good guideline. People on Bobs the oil guy forums(way to much detail unless you want all the fine details) have a a good common recommendation on Wix Oil Filters.

Air filters I don't use anything too special just replace often. Fuel additives you usually don't need and better off just using "Top Tier" fuel. All the other liquids I'll use Ford.

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
I have had great results with my 2013 ecoboost using Valvoline 5-30 full synthetic. I have also used the motor craft oil filters Ford recommends. I fall in the “cheap insurance” camp when it comes to frequency and do them every 5k miles.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I bought a case of 12 Motocraft oil filters from amazon I will be changing the oil every 3-4000 miles. , cheap maintaince. in fact I'm all ready looking to do the first change next week. just to get the factory oil/ break in out and still looking at weather a oil catch can is still recommended.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I bought a case of 12 Motocraft oil filters from amazon I will be changing the oil every 3-4000 miles. , cheap maintaince. in fact I'm all ready looking to do the first change next week. just to get the factory oil/ break in out and still looking at weather a oil catch can is still recommended.
Do you have links to these items? Would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I plan on running a K&N high performance air filter. Just the filter and not a full intake to start. K&N filters are “rechargeable” and able to be cleaned and reused nearly indefinitely. I’ve used them and other vehicles and they have worked well.
Ford F-150 Ecoboost Oil and Filters 76F72BB7-549F-419D-9633-FBB81BE1BD18

Every oil change I also add Chevron with Techron full fuel system cleaner to a tank full of gas to help keep the injectors and fuel system clean.
Ford F-150 Ecoboost Oil and Filters 20312DA4-EF9F-4141-80C9-0C4FD6FADF0E

For oil and oil filters, I’ll defer to whatever the dealership puts in it. I don’t want to deviate too far from the owner’s manual recommendations especially while it’s new.

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Have watched several videos on synthetic oil testing with the emphasis on the best oil for turbo charged engines. One oil that comes highly recommended is Pennzoil's top of the line oil. It is a exceptionally pure synthetic that is one of the best in preventing carbon buildup that has in the past been an issue with turbo charged engines.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
A long-time service manager at a Ford dealership suggested I stay with Motorcraft oil filters. This was after I experienced some minor engine noise 2015 3.5 L EB) at start up. The service manager said I was using an oil filter that was too efficient and I was not getting the proper oil flow to effectively lubricate a cold engine. He further said that the Mororcraft did filter the oil well so I would not be circulating bad oil. I switched back to Motorcraft filters and never had any additional engine clatter at start up. Engine was sound for over 100 K. Sold it and I still see it running around town. Just a FYI on my limited experience. I “think” the Ford dealership used Mobile synthetic. I have a new 2021 3.5 L EB coming soon and it will only see Motorcraft oil filters. Drive friendly.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Have watched several videos on synthetic oil testing with the emphasis on the best oil for turbo charged engines. One oil that comes highly recommended is Pennzoil's top of the line oil. It is a exceptionally pure synthetic that is one of the best in preventing carbon buildup that has in the past been an issue with turbo charged engines.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic
I have also watched the videos. Pennzoil full syn for my 14 eco and now for my 21 eco.
I however have always used the Purolator filters. Also highly rated.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I did quite a bit of looking both internet and a local run into Autozone, and the two oils that list the new Ford requirement / spec (-961A) out of the manual someone posted on another thread were Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic, and Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Both were of course also listed as API SP and ILSAC GF6A. I did not check the high mileage variants, extended drain variants, or any of the Euro variants, but regular old 5W30 Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic and 5W30 Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic both listed the new Ford Spec with a meets/or exceeds statement. The Castrol and Penzoil Synthetics both listed the API SP and ILSAC GF6A, but neither listed the most recent Ford spec (they did list the older Ford specs).

Just meant as an FYI, not endorsing these oils or dissing those that haven't changed their formulas and/or packaging yet. Honestly a lot of them may just not have changed the packaging yet.
Sponsored