First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
daemonic3. You tow your camper while in Normal Mode?
Yep! I find that using Normal and locking out upper gears selectively when I see the truck enter boost, has gotten me way better MPG, generally around 11mpg towing. I was even able to do it over/down the grapevine in CA. I use the adaptive cruise to prevent any runaway speeds, and I can use the gain meter to watch for excessive trailer braking, as well as monitoring my trailer tire temperatures for excess friction heat on the trailer. Usually the trailer tires are about 5° higher than outside temperature, especially if those tires are in the sun. If I see more than that its my early indication that heat is building from the brakes to the rims and tires. This story may be different in the summer heat where I will want to take advantage of more engine braking rather than electric-only coasting downhill and using regen/friction braking.

Managing climbs is pretty easy once you have enough experience using Tow mode to know what gears are comfortable for the truck on what grades and speeds. I just lock out the gears to get it into 5th or 6th or whatever is needed to make the truck comfortable. I think of it like riding a multi geared bike up hills. You can gear down and stay seated in the bike comfortably and pedal higher RPMs. If you want to do the climb at higher gears at lower RPMs you have to enter "boost" and stand up on the bike. So I just try to keep my truck from having to "stand up" when climbing.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
In a way your observations are good news in terms of battery management. Li-ion batteries prefer a window of charge for longevity. Fully charging not good and fully discharging even worse. I wonder if you have noticed any variance in the charge discharge percentages with outside temps? In theory any outside temps should have only temporary impacts because of the onboard battery temp management but still curious.
I haven't gotten enough data yet. I've only had the capability about a month now, but I added battery temperature gauge to my screen as well. If the formula is correct, then I've noticed it tries to keep the battery temperature at 95F (about 35C). We're past the cold temps here in NoCal but we'll be in >100F temps soon so I'll have some data on that if the active cooling can't keep it at 95F.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
daemonic3. You tow your camper while in Normal Mode?
I have found that towing an ice castle in tow mode, I got way less MPG than if I just left it in normal mode and selected gears myself to not have the turbos engaging so much. I would get 8.5 mpg in tow mode (8000 pound ice castle, 65-70mph), and at least 2 mpg more in normal with manually selecting gears.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have found that towing an ice castle in tow mode, I got way less MPG than if I just left it in normal mode and selected gears myself to not have the turbos engaging so much. I would get 8.5 mpg in tow mode (8000 pound ice castle, 65-70mph), and at least 2 mpg more in normal with manually selecting gears.
I'm sorry but I can't let this one go.... Ice Castle???

Mike G-Man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 1969 Mustang 428CJ
Occupation
Fed
Really? I normally drive in Eco because I'm assuming it uses the electric engine more frequently than any other drive mode. Need to try Normal for a longer period of time then!
I would have thought the same thing but for some reason it stays in electric a bit longer. I have no idea why. The first 1,000 miles I was in ECO the entire time unless it was snowing, then I used slipper mode. After break in I started using normal mode and noticed a difference.

When I'm in eco it seems to jump back to ICE sooner. Maybe because of a lower throttle response and the truck/rpm is loafing, needs more power to keep moving than the electric can support?

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
In a way your observations are good news in terms of battery management. Li-ion batteries prefer a window of charge for longevity. Fully charging not good and fully discharging even worse. I wonder if you have noticed any variance in the charge discharge percentages with outside temps? In theory any outside temps should have only temporary impacts because of the onboard battery temp management but still curious.
This is basically how I treat my cell phones. I attempt to never charge above 65% and I try and stay above 50%. Over the course of 2 years of ownership you can see the difference in how long my phone lasts on a charge vs my wife's.

Yes sometimes I go to 100% (forget to unplug) or let it go really low, but most the time I'm able to keep it in that range using a wireless charger on my desk (I focus more on keeping it from going over 65% than I do going under 50%)

So like you said, It does not surprise me that they built in that buffer. It means more consistent capacity for the life of the batteries, which in cars I think makes most sense.

darioa

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
I bought a $20 OBDII to bluetooth adapter and just leave it in the port, then on my phone I use Torque which can do real-time display of various things. Found that you have to buy Torque pro ($5) as the free version can't add extra Process ID's (PIDs). I can show what my screen with my favorites looks like later.
I have similar resutls using FIXD with its OBD2 adapter. For me the truck can be in electric mode when the battery is between 42% and 69.5%. I've seen the charge drop to 38% and go as high as 71%. I wish we could display the battery charge level on the main screen. I use it all the time to either coast or regen brake to get the battery to the high 40's% so I can turn the engine off. This works both in ECO or normal mode. In tow mode the engine never turns off.

RedDragon65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I ran about 4 tanks in Normal and 4 tanks in Eco - consistently got 1 mpg less in Eco mode with same driving habits/mixed City/Highway (more town/city), so I stay in Normal mode, which is also more responsive. Next time a take a long highway only trip will try Eco one way and then Normal the other and see how it compares

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I bought a $20 OBDII to bluetooth adapter and just leave it in the port, then on my phone I use Torque which can do real-time display of various things. Found that you have to buy Torque pro ($5) as the free version can't add extra Process ID's (PIDs). I can show what my screen with my favorites looks like later.
Mind sharing which OBDII adapters you use to make this all work? I'd be curious to see how mine performs. Do you also use this setup to get into Forscan stuff?

Sponsored

sledge4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F-150 (XLT PB Hybrid, 302A, SAP, max tow)
Where can you find the battery charge %? I can’t seem to find it.

darioa

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
Where can you find the battery charge %? I can’t seem to find it.
Using FIXD on my iPhone, I can find it under Live Gauges and searching for Hybrid Pack Remaining Life

sledge4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F-150 (XLT PB Hybrid, 302A, SAP, max tow)
Ah ok, so it’s not built in. Not losing my mind then.

richietwo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Vette Acura
Occupation
retired
Today, I did a forty mile (each way) trip on country roads with the cruise set at 57 most of the time. On the outbound trip I used Eco Mode and got 23.2 mpg. On the return trip I used Normal mode and got 26.2 mpg. This is a 2022 F-150 with 5k miles. Eco is definitely not for local, low speed trips.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Today, I did a forty mile (each way) trip on country roads with the cruise set at 57 most of the time. On the outbound trip I used Eco Mode and got 23.2 mpg. On the return trip I used Normal mode and got 26.2 mpg. This is a 2022 F-150 with 5k miles. Eco is definitely not for local, low speed trips.
Could elevation and wind direction have played a part?
Sponsored