Sponsored

DTC code P0A1E-00 - hybrid system disabled

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Good Evening All,

My '21 powerboost threw its first code on the way home today. About 1/4 mi into a 13 mile trip, service light came on. Quick ODB scan says it was P0A1E-00 (Starter/Generator Control Module).

After the code was thrown, on the slower/stop/go roads, it was apparent the hybrid system was no longer functioning. That is, the truck would not go in all-electric and the engine start/stop was not functioning while stopped (normally engine shuts off when stopped).

After getting home, I shut the truck off, at which time I checked the code. Subsequently, power cycling, the truck seemed fine and the engine remained off, as expected, while in park and the "service engine" lamp went away (I did not clear the codes when reading). Hopefully truck works fine before traveling tomorrow.

Anyone had this happen on thir Powerboost and could it be indicative of any impending problems? Thanks.

Ford F-150 DTC code P0A1E-00 - hybrid system disabled Screenshot_20221207_154550
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Probably a glitch in communication between starter/generator control module and the pcm.
When you first start up the truck, these trucks have as many as 47 modules that have to "check-in". It's not a shock that a network glitch might occasionally be possible at boot up.

Being as cycling the ignition was all it took to put the truck in normal condition, hopefully the truck is fine and it was just an anomaly. It's a wonder everything stuffed in these Powerboosts is all functioning perfectly at any given moment. :)

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2012 F150 has 7 modules.
My 2022 has 47

It's crazy when you think about it.

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
So I have gotten this code repeatedly. Like you while it is in affect I can't use hybrid. (engine never shuts out while decelerating, idling, or cruising at 25 MPH even after long charge time etc.) It always goes away when I turn the engine off. My dealer said that if it resets itself don't bother coming in for an appointment despite the fact that my fordpass app sends me a message that I should contact my dealer every time it comes up. Powertrain malfunction/ reduced power is that message. While Snakebitten may be right about it being a bootup problem (and I hope that is all it is) it still sucks not to have the hybrid portion of your vehicle working and the dealer just saying if it resets itself then don't bother calling. So far I have also had to have a throttle body replaced and an exhaust problem fixed. All three problems happened in the last 2000 miles and since my first service. Before that I thought I had the perfect vehicle. 4 visits to the dealer and less than a year old I am glad I don't play the lottery. I am a glutton for punishment though. I still love my truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dresdie

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Sorry to hear it happening on your truck so often. I've only seen it once since my original post so, luckily it has not been an issue. If and hopefully if the dealer gets it resolved for you, I'd love to hear the cause.

Curious - does it affect any functionality of your pro-power onboard generator?

Good luck!

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
I looked at someones XLT PowerBoost F150 with 7.2kWh system this afternoon in a parking lot and proved code P0A1E:00 is a persistent DTC in his truck. His dealership paperwork shows they were unable to find any codes with FRDS 🤷

But at least they went the extra mile and they're trying by ordering and replacing the generator module rather than sending him out the door with no answers. It's on back order at this time.

I met up with this person to disable double honk, but went down the rabbit hole of exploring this fault.

This owner is encountering his 120VAC outlets not working when the temperature is below 0°C. The cab outlet intermittently flashes the yellow status led, sync 4 displays a ground fault error, and the only DTC which appears right along side it is PCM P0A1E:00.

My speculation is the PCM could be false flagging a BMS event and going into a load shed strategy. During POST upon ignition cycle the BCM reports BMS information to the PCM which controls the low voltage charging logic via the SOBDMC and DCACM right?

His low voltage system has no errors but is charging at 12.9V to 13.1V which seems low.

14 Gen F150's have had many faulty AGM battery's to date as discussed in other threads, so it's not hard for me to speculate that a faulty BMS sensor, weak battery, or intermittent open circuit is more likely the cause than a software issue or bad module considering the fault occurrence seems to be directly linked to the ambient outdoor temperature.

I'll try to get a follow up update from this person after the dealership works on his truck again. I only had 15 minutes to look at it with no tools but now I'm curious what it could be.

Clearing the DTC with ForScan would restore normal hybrid functionality, but the error returns after an ignition cycle which I why I think it's an error related to the low voltage system integrity checks.

I'm kicking myself for not trying a BMS reset, but I was pressed for time on this one.

Last edited:

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Had this happen. Same exact thing. The Eco Coach screen would show a limited amount of ability to the electric-only motor. And the only way I got it to go to electric only was to throw it in park at the light.

After powering off and letting it sit for a trip into the store, it fixed itself and haven't had a problem since.

It scares me how many bugs these things have under warranty. I'm glad I have 140,000 miles of warranty but, then what?

cozoomzoom

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I have a 2022 PB. I had the wrench and the warning come on today for the first time. Been wet in Colorado with melting snow. I turned on the truck after reading the multiple threads on this topic and the wrench is no longer illuminated. I need to take the truck in for the washer motor recall so I'll post what I hear back from the dealer about this topic also.

I ran a scan and P0A1E "Status CONFIRMED Starter/Generator Control Module: No Sub Type Information".
The check engine dialog did come up on a power on. I do recall the truck not turning off the engine at a light on the trip before it came on.

OP
OP
Dresdie

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
I have a 2022 PB. I had the wrench and the warning come on today for the first time. Been wet in Colorado with melting snow. I turned on the truck after reading the multiple threads on this topic and the wrench is no longer illuminated. I need to take the truck in for the washer motor recall so I'll post what I hear back from the dealer about this topic also.

I ran a scan and P0A1E "Status CONFIRMED Starter/Generator Control Module: No Sub Type Information".
The check engine dialog did come up on a power on. I do recall the truck not turning off the engine at a light on the trip before it came on.
Same symptoms here when I saw it. Haven't seen it for ~5k miles since. Seemed like a one-time thing here. Odd. Will be curious to hear if you're seeing it regularly or not.

Sponsored

PowerboostedF150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2011 explorer ltd
Occupation
Knowledge Manager, use PB as my office.
Good Evening All,

My '21 powerboost threw its first code on the way home today. About 1/4 mi into a 13 mile trip, service light came on. Quick ODB scan says it was P0A1E-00 (Starter/Generator Control Module).

After the code was thrown, on the slower/stop/go roads, it was apparent the hybrid system was no longer functioning. That is, the truck would not go in all-electric and the engine start/stop was not functioning while stopped (normally engine shuts off when stopped).

After getting home, I shut the truck off, at which time I checked the code. Subsequently, power cycling, the truck seemed fine and the engine remained off, as expected, while in park and the "service engine" lamp went away (I did not clear the codes when reading). Hopefully truck works fine before traveling tomorrow.

Anyone had this happen on thir Powerboost and could it be indicative of any impending problems? Thanks.

Screenshot_20221207_154550.jpg
I have been having a similar problem, but slightly different. Only once has it not gone into hybrid mode while driving, and that was right after an update. But in my case, when parked, the truck would cycle on and off with the a laptop plugged in. Then it would randomly choose to stay running at idle. It would not shut off on its own. It's been to the dealer once already for this, and unless you work from the truck when parked, you may not notice this issue. For me, a few days can go by without issue, then I get it three times during the day. In all cases, I need to push the button to turn off the engine. Anyways... it was at the dealer today, and the paperwork I got back says DTC was p0A1E, 'Access DC/DC Module to perform wiggle test' - they found connector C1457B not completely clipped in, applied dielectric grease to connector and plugged in properly. Reset battery control module'. So I am curious if that is the big orange connectors near the battery, and why the hell was it loose! Anyways, like the fuses...something to easily check if that is the connector C1457B

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's not the DC/DC converter right next to the battery. (I mistakenly thought it was myself)
The DC/DC converter is underneath what you are seeing next to the battery, which is the High Voltage to High Voltage transformer between the HV battery and the electric drive motor.

Edit: Sorry, it's an HV/HV inverter, according to the literature

Ford F-150 DTC code P0A1E-00 - hybrid system disabled Screenshot_20230302_210139_OneDrive

Anyways, below it, right above the crossmember, is the DC/DC converter

Ford F-150 DTC code P0A1E-00 - hybrid system disabled Screenshot_20230302_211034_OneDrive

Last edited:

dhazekamp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost King Ranch 601A
I was using my 2021 Powerboost 7.2kw to camp this weekend. Everything was going great until about 24hrs in when I noticed the truck had been running for an extended period of time w/o going into hybrid. I power cycled the truck and got MIL (Powertrain Malfunction). Pro power continued to function, but again the truck wasn't going into hybrid. After a second power cycle the light went away and hasn't come back since. This was looked up in FDRS as DTC P0A1E-00 Starter/Generator Control Module. Hopefully this was just a one time thing, but it is a bit concerning (i.e. will this pop up again the next time I try to use Pro Power with any type of load)?

Last edited:

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
I am receiving this dreaded code recently as well - P0A1E-00-23 - It comes and goes regularly now. Anyone find out details on what actually solves the issue?

PowerboostedF150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2011 explorer ltd
Occupation
Knowledge Manager, use PB as my office.
Not yet, the latest for mine is related but again, different. So the cycle on/off failure and powertrain code fault have gone away since the last dealer visit. I think they did a APIM reset as well, anyways the problem now, is the when using the generator (7.2), with very little load (below 200watts) - basically the truck just being in Gen mode, will cause the failure of not shutting off, but only after 5 hours of use or so. If I turn off the generator from the green switch, the engine shuts off right away. If I put the the truck in Drive, roll 2 feet, the engine shuts off right away. if I back up two feet, it shuts off. Then... on the next battery charge event, it sometimes shuts off properly, but usually goes back to the same problem.

This was my experience camping for 7 days on a non-powered camp site, using the large generator plug (30 amp) to my camper. Power draw was the camper converter, a dometic fridge (around 110watts), a compressor cooler (around 65watts), and an ice maker (around 500 watts from time to time). nothing near any kind of real load. I ended up charging a 12v lipo battery I had and during the day, and ran everything off an inverter overnight, and just turned the truck off around 10pm. I also turned off the approach lighting as it was pretty bright in a dark campground at night. I did have the AC running in the cab to help the cooler (also plugged in, in the cab ). So for those calculating HV power draw, the AC was maintaining cab temp at room temperature.
Sponsored