Sponsored

Drive Mode Unavailable

Mauimaikai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 2.7 F-150 XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew
I've noticed on multiple occasions now over the past few months that while driving in sport mode my vehicle will randomly tell me drive mode unavailable and switch back to normal drive mode on its own. This is the only mode I've had it do this on, no rhyme or reason for when it does it. Anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I've noticed on multiple occasions now over the past few months that while driving in sport mode my vehicle will randomly tell me drive mode unavailable and switch back to normal drive mode on its own. This is the only mode I've had it do this on, no rhyme or reason for when it does it. Anyone else have this happen?
Hey there. I'd like to take a closer look at your drive mode concerns. Can you send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
I have also seen that same thing happen a couple of times, but can put it in Sport Mode and drive it all day and it not happen again.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
From the service manual, you might look for DTC's related to the PSCM. (Power Steering Control Module)

The PSCM monitors Can Bus for signals from other modules, like the transfer case module, and if it thinks it isn't communicating, it will return the SDM (Select Drive Mode) back to Normal even while the truck is in motion.
The communication failure can be caused by a battery not providing ample voltage to the various modules, even just momentarily. It also states that the technician should look for harness connectors that are loose or damaged.

There's as many as 47 modules in these trucks. It's amazing that there wouldn't be one bad pin, wire, connector, ground bolt/strap.......

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
this happened to me once. No dash lights no other warnings. I switched back to sport and it stayed in it. No idea.

Sponsored

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21(1).302.PB.157.OX
noticed mine doing this a few times the last couple days.

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21(1).302.PB.157.OX
just checked and seeing this dtc

atcm u2009:9e-08
Sponsored