Drive mode normal vs eco

Vallee

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 f150 ecoboost
Has anybody seen a difference between normal and eco drive mode on fuel economy?
Sponsored

TJH0007

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat, '11 M3, '01 SpecMiata
SImply on MPG observations, 0.5-1 MPG. But all depends on Driving conditions and habits. eco keeps RPMS and gears much lower than normal mode, especially during acceleration on low throttle input. For me, eco keeps me from accelerating as fast, that's likely where you save the MPGS. Both modes will cruise in 10th gear, so your not saving at cruising speeds.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Has anybody seen a difference between normal and eco drive mode on fuel economy?
Just cruising on the interstate I could not tell a difference. Not scientific, but no big win for Eco.
Problem- accessing a fast moving interstate I had a very uncomfortable and nearly dangerous delay when I hit the gas to enter a slot while in Eco. This mirrors my Eco experience with other cars- poorly responsive.

Buried150

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
I will typically put my truck in eco if I know I’ll be doing city driving, for the reasons stated above. I can definitely tell a difference in the throttle. Eco mode feels sluggish during acceleration and has noticeably less torque.

My truck has the 3.73’s, so it helps keep RPM’s lower for stop and go driving. I’d assume that’s gotta help with MPG some

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
If your truck has turbos, I like cruising using Eco , helps prevent the turbos from kicking in more so than normal. Going up grades and resuming cruise speeds when slowed by traffic. As mentioned , not much of a difference otherwise with both in 10th gear. If you need acceleration in Eco , pedal to the metal.

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
If your truck has turbos, I like cruising using Eco , helps prevent the turbos from kicking in more so than normal. Going up grades and resuming cruise speeds when slowed by traffic. As mentioned , not much of a difference otherwise with both in 10th gear. If you need acceleration in Eco , pedal to the metal.
I find just the opposite. With Eco and all gears enabled, it gets into boost at the slightest acceleration even going up an overpass and trying to maintain speed.

With my '87 Buick, the turbos are driven almost entirely by exhaust / rpm. My understanding is that modern turbo vehicles are somewhat computer controlled. If this is true and there are turbo maps similar to spark and fuel maps, it would be interesting to see how the turbo map is different between Eco and other driving modes.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I find just the opposite. With Eco and all gears enabled, it gets into boost at the slightest acceleration even going up an overpass and trying to maintain speed.

With my '87 Buick, the turbos are driven almost entirely by exhaust / rpm. My understanding is that modern turbo vehicles are somewhat computer controlled. If this is true and there are turbo maps similar to spark and fuel maps, it would be interesting to see how the turbo map is different between Eco and other driving modes.
That is interesting. Rarely does my truck open the turbos, even when accelerating when passing. Perhaps it is a reflection on speed. Here in Canada about the fastest highway speed limit is 120 kmph or about 75 mph. Normal freeway speed between 100 to 110 62 to 68. My typical cruise is set at 117 or around 72 or 73 mph. Grades are not really an issue in my driving area but even a trip in Vermont was basically a normal drive. PB or EB truck. 3:73 gears or something else could also be the difference.

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
That is interesting. Rarely does my truck open the turbos, even when accelerating when passing. Perhaps it is a reflection on speed. Here in Canada about the fastest highway speed limit is 120 kmph or about 75 mph. Normal freeway speed between 100 to 110 62 to 68. My typical cruise is set at 117 or around 72 or 73 mph. Grades are not really an issue in my driving area but even a trip in Vermont was basically a normal drive. PB or EB truck. 3:73 gears or something else could also be the difference.
I'm going strictly by the boost gauge. At highway speeds, which could be anywhere from 60 - 80mph in 10th gear, if I tip into the peddle to maintain speed as I go over a slight overpass, I can see the boost gauge showing boost. If I lock out 9th and 10th, then I can maintain speed without boost. With my 3.31 gears, I'm only doing about 1200-1300 at highway speeds.

Sponsored

COG099

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4 Powerboost
I am not sure if there was some sort of remapping from an update but I tried Eco when I first bought my 21 and had poor results. It did seem to get into boost at the slightest hint of resistance on the Highway.

I recently tried it again and now I definitely find that I get approx 1-1.5mpg better. This is after 500 miles of mixed driving.

I drive quite a bit for work so I am fine with the slower throttle response for that kind of mileage.

The biggest difference is it seems to resist turning on the ICE a little more and is much smoother using adaptive cruise in Eco mode.

TSGarp007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew Powerboost 302A
The biggest difference is it seems to resist turning on the ICE a little more and is much smoother using adaptive cruise in Eco mode.
That's the kind of thing I've noticed. It doesn't seem to give much better mpg, but is smoother when shifting and when using adaptive cruise control. Both adjusting to vehicles in front and reacting to speed limit signs. In normal mode the truck will lurch forward accelerating for a 2 mph increase in the set speed when it senses a new speed limit (example: speed limit set manually to 40, truck sees a 35 mph sign and as I pass the sign it jerks my head accelerating to 42 mph to maintain my set 7 mph over speed limit). I enable it sometimes so the ride is smoother when I am driving my family in it.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
That's the kind of thing I've noticed. It doesn't seem to give much better mpg, but is smoother when shifting and when using adaptive cruise control. Both adjusting to vehicles in front and reacting to speed limit signs. In normal mode the truck will lurch forward accelerating for a 2 mph increase in the set speed when it senses a new speed limit (example: speed limit set manually to 40, truck sees a 35 mph sign and as I pass the sign it jerks my head accelerating to 42 mph to maintain my set 7 mph over speed limit). I enable it sometimes so the ride is smoother when I am driving my family in it.

In my opinion, this is the best use of eco mode.. I wish i could have it turn on automatically with bluecruise / adaptive cruise

Father Sergius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 XLT 5.5' 3.5EB
I've not had a good experience with Eco. I get 1-2 mpg less when I keep it in Eco. I have a '21 3.5 eco and after checking fuel economy by hand over a month, filling up weekly and alternating Eco and Normal weeks, I just keep it in Normal now.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
22 Lariat V8 - Eco town driving I get 1 mpg better than Normal. 17 in town and 21 freeway
Sponsored