First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
It's been a very long time since I've ordered a new truck from the factory and I've forgotten if I had to give the dealer a deposit on the order. Does anyone know if all dealers or maybe some dealers require a deposit to secure the order? If a deposit is required, could I use my Fordpass points (43000) which are set to expire 12/31/2021? I plan on ordering sometime in July but with the delays in build and shipping, it's possible I wouldn't be able to take delivery of my truck until after the first of the year. I realize 43000 points is only about 215 bucks towards a new truck but why should I waste it.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I don’t know about using ford pass points towards the vehicle deposit. Maybe? But you aren’t really purchasing anything yet at that point so probably not?

My dealer asked for a $500.00 deposit which seems pretty customary.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
For most dealers the "deposit" is not "real". That is you give them a check, that is never cashed. Usually it's $500. It is only demonstrating your real interest (vs. just stopping by 5 different dealers and asking each to order you a truck, which you still could usually do, as if you go back and tell a dealer nevermind, most cases they give you the deposit check back). For many dealers at the signing they just give you back the deposit check to tear up and throw away. For some they will include it with the other downpayment (if any) money on the contract.

So no, I really doubt you can use points, and it really wouldn't fix your problem anyway, as it's not a real payment/transaction until the contract is done upon delivery of the vehicle. If your going to lose them, find a buddy that has a Ford and see if he/she needs anything or if you know exactly what your are going to purchase after the expiration date, buy some mudflaps, or fancy tire valve stem caps, or the bed mat, etc, etc.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
It will vary dealer by dealer. My deposit was non-refundable ($1,000), but it was the best price in my area, especially in this market.

However, many dealers do offer refundable deposits.

As far as the logistics of using your FordPass rewards points, I’d guess that would be dealer discretion. I can definitely see some not wanting to accept those as a down payment/deposit.

OP
OP
3DogKnight

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
For most dealers the "deposit" is not "real". That is you give them a check, that is never cashed. Usually it's $500. It is only demonstrating your real interest (vs. just stopping by 5 different dealers and asking each to order you a truck, which you still could usually do, as if you go back and tell a dealer nevermind, most cases they give you the deposit check back). For many dealers at the signing they just give you back the deposit check to tear up and throw away. For some they will include it with the other downpayment (if any) money on the contract.

So no, I really doubt you can use points, and it really wouldn't fix your problem anyway, as it's not a real payment/transaction until the contract is done upon delivery of the vehicle. If your going to lose them, find a buddy that has a Ford and see if he/she needs anything or if you know exactly what your are going to purchase after the expiration date, buy some mudflaps, or fancy tire valve stem caps, or the bed mat, etc, etc.
Good advice. So it's the bed mat then!

Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician

CarolynStride

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 4x2
Occupation
Retired?
I offered my dealer a deposit or earnest money several times. He did not want it till we get delivery. Scary to me but the truck is on order the way I ordered with my name on it.

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
I offered my dealer a deposit or earnest money several times. He did not want it till we get delivery. Scary to me but the truck is on order the way I ordered with my name on it.
Same for me, offered to make a deposit but said they don't require them. Likewise, they ordered what I wanted, and my name comes up with my VIN on the order tracker. But I think it's up to each dealer. ?‍♂

Dan Texas

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I asked if, given the current tight supply situation, if they would be willing to order for X-plan. Since what I wanted wasn’t typical (Velocity blue Lariat powerboost max tow, without moonroof or FX4) and they thought they’d have a harder time selling it if I walked away, they wanted a $3,000 deposit. Non-refundable, unless the truck isn’t built as I specified. They didn’t want a check; they ran my card for the amount. I think this is reasonable given the current market.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
My dealer asked for $1,000 and gave me back the deposit check when I picked up my truck. As @BLoflin said above, it typically goes in the sale folder and is never touched again until you are there to pick up the truck.

At this point, I would think any dealer would take an order without taking a deposit. The only exception would be if you were ordering something that's very very specific/oddly optioned. Retail orders are built first, so with limited supply, who cares if you back out after the truck arrives, the dealer needs the inventory and it will sell off the lot quickly.

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
I am purchasing my 7th Ford (4th F-150 Lariat) in the last 7 years....no questions asked and no deposit required.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
No deposit, no signiture. We just went over the order/options/colors, and that was it. Same as on all other orders from my dealer, including the very first one.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I paid only $500 - at 1st they asked for $5K, I laughed and said not happing. They never push again. I also negotiate the cost of the truck from invoice - downward (below invoice). I aslo aked for their docs fees, taxes, title et.. and kept all of that completely away from the price I wanted to pay.
Sponsored