First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I understand why folks want to change oil right away, but there is a caveat to that.
I will go a bit longer.
2500, 5000, and every 5000.
Most all of my miles are unencumbered rural and hiway.
Those fearing metallic particles floating around—I don’t think there is a lot to that.
Filters get most all of it out.
The remaining stuff floating about will also help the engine break in.
Aids in helping the the rings and cylinder walls seat together.
They can’t do that very quickly if new oil is introduced every few miles.
I generally change every 5k, but don’t get concerned til I get up to 8k+
Again, my particular usage is in play here. Very seldom have to deal with city stop & go traffic
Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
"According to the new 2021 Manual (Page 430 for break in)...."

I read through that 'generic' manual that's been available as well, but I noticed it doesn't even distinguish between diesel and gas engines. My suspicion is that 'my' manual (if my order is ever fulfilled :mad:) will also be this generic. In short, I'm not sure how much certainty one should feel about that generic advice when it comes to the engine. My plan is to avoid romping around in it on the way home (1400 miles in my case), make regular use of interstate & highway offramps to rest areas, avoid starting the engine each morning and letting it just sit at idle, and top up with fuel at high volume name brand stations and the interstate travel centers (Flying J, etc.).

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Thanks, Jack! We had a "build-to" week in early March. But, that was before the other shoe, I mean chip, dropped. Now, I have no clue when our order might be filled.

I am going to take it very easy driving the truck, particularly as it will be my first driving a truck - and 6.5' bed at that :) My drive, however, is through NE and WY. The population density west of Lincoln/Omaha is so low that even one road seems too many. I once drove more than 60 miles in NE without coming across a single vehicle or human being. So, I am not optimistic about how many parallel roads will be on offer.

RichOK 1941

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5L V-6 Power Boost Technology Package
Occupation
retired
It would be good to know what type of break in strategy people are using - and do's and don'ts that apply.

I will be taking my delivery 1200 miles away. So, the focus will be on driving home. So, thinking about what's best.
Once an hour take the next off-ramp and come to a full stop and proceed to get back on at the next on-ramp. I agree on no cruise control. AND NO TOWING FOR 1000 MILES.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Thanks a lot, @RichOK 1941 That’s quite doable. No cruise control, except to check out the functionality. It will not have any real load - just the driver with little in the way of luggage...

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Vary engine speeds and loads.
On a long trip this could mean driving in lower gears on the hiway for short spells.
also if possible, loading up on deceleration.

I have done this on most of my cars with new engines.
But, they have all been manual trans cars.

My Ranchero, I would run it up to about 70 in second gear real hard, and coast it down. Did this a few times to seat rings.
I live in an area I can safely do this
Also, try to vary speeds to some extent.
I drive around Baton Rouge. This pattern is achieved in only a 20 minute drive on I-10. BR traffic SUCKS :ROFLMAO:

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I always followed this pattern for break-in miles too, especially the engine braking to put pressure on the back side of the rings, but I wonder how we do that on the PowerBoost where the engine is likely to shut off when coasting down?
I don’t think the engine shuts off in Tow/Haul mode to allow for engine braking.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
I would do the 1st change @ 1000.

New engines are tight and rings and bearing are seating and wearing in. Yes, the factory filter is catching any foreign objects, but that could be also be blocking the filter. I want to be positive that I have fully synthetic oil and a long life synthetic filter. The cost is really minimal because I do it myself.

The next change I do is @ 4000. Thereafter every 9000.

My first 5.0 had 180,000 when I traded in and it ran like a top. Original timing chain. I used Castrol from day 1 and changed oil every 3000 after break in.

My 5.4 is when I began using synthetic. Changing every 9000 after break in. I had 240,000 when I traded in with the original timing chain and that motor had power. I could punch it at 70 and get up to 85 pronto.

My current 5.0 has 165,000. No engine issues whatsoever. Same 9000 oil change intervals post break in.

Sponsored

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
I just picked up a Platinum PB yesterday and when I make sharper turns, it feels like the wheels are grinding or stuttering?? Assume it's the tires that need to be broken in some?

Sacbone

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited in Star White
Occupation
Retired from printing, engaged in Real Estate management
7500 as per owner manual

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I just picked up a Platinum PB yesterday and when I make sharper turns, it feels like the wheels are grinding or stuttering?? Assume it's the tires that need to be broken in some?
There should be no grinding. You hearing this with windows up?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
As far as break-in? I drive it.... I'll do an early oil change at a couple thousand miles or so and then every 7500ish.

machz

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I press on the gas really hard.....smile then do it again. Honestly I drive it like I plan to day to day and I don't baby it.
Sponsored