Sponsored

Door Proximity sensors

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
It's amazing how much data Ford is already getting from the current F150's.

Ford Nixes Rear Proximity Sensors On F-150 SuperCrew Pickups

Ford currently offers a feature called passive lock and entry, which is present on a host of both Ford and Lincoln vehicles, including the Ford F-150. This feature is what allows the vehicle to automatically unlock the doors when the owner grabs the door handle. Originally, the feature allowed owners to unlock the vehicle by grabbing any of the four exterior doors of an F-150 SuperCrew pickup, but moving forward, it will only work on the two front doors.

Ford revealed this change during a recent Goldman Sachs investor call, in which COO Hau Thai-Tang used it as an example of how the automaker is leveraging connected vehicle data. Using that data, it quickly became apparent that very few owners were actually using the feature to enter the vehicle via the two rear doors.

“Now that we have connected data, we can actually monitor how frequently the customers actually enter the vehicle through which door,” Thai-Tang said. “And you can see across our product lineup here with Aviator, Explorer, Nautilus, Edge, Ranger – 80 plus, 90 percent of the time, it’s only being used in the driver’s door, and very and frequently is being used in the other doors, especially in the second row. So as part of our go-to-markets, on the new F-150, we eliminated this feature from the second row of the crew cabs.”

It may sound like a small and insignificant change, but Thai-Tang noted that this move saved Ford a whopping $6.5 million annually in material costs on the 2021 Ford F-150 SuperCrew. Thai-Tang also said that this is why Ford has moved to eliminate paddle shifters and adjustable pedals from a variety of its 2021 models, as very few owners actually use them, connected data has shown.
We’ll have more on all new model changes when they happen, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford F-150 news, and continuous Ford news coverage.
Sponsored

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well. This suc*s. I have this feature in my 2020 Edge (all 4 doors can be unlocked by the handle) and I find it great. Awesome when I need to open the door in the back to put something in there, and then do sth else before I actually need to drive off. This is not good. Forget their so called statistics. This is purely a cost cutting (read cheap) thing that they've done here.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Does "moving forward" mean that the 2021 already has this feature deleted, or are we talking about the future here?

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
I would actually really like that feature on the rear door, carrying my work gear to drop off in the rear seat first, or having a kid in one arm and needing to put them in the car seat in the second row with only one free hand that now has to fumble in my pocket for keys instead of simply being able to open the door.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
It's amazing how much data Ford is already getting from the current F150's.

Ford Nixes Rear Proximity Sensors On F-150 SuperCrew Pickups

Ford currently offers a feature called passive lock and entry, which is present on a host of both Ford and Lincoln vehicles, including the Ford F-150. This feature is what allows the vehicle to automatically unlock the doors when the owner grabs the door handle. Originally, the feature allowed owners to unlock the vehicle by grabbing any of the four exterior doors of an F-150 SuperCrew pickup, but moving forward, it will only work on the two front doors.

Ford revealed this change during a recent Goldman Sachs investor call, in which COO Hau Thai-Tang used it as an example of how the automaker is leveraging connected vehicle data. Using that data, it quickly became apparent that very few owners were actually using the feature to enter the vehicle via the two rear doors.

“Now that we have connected data, we can actually monitor how frequently the customers actually enter the vehicle through which door,” Thai-Tang said. “And you can see across our product lineup here with Aviator, Explorer, Nautilus, Edge, Ranger – 80 plus, 90 percent of the time, it’s only being used in the driver’s door, and very and frequently is being used in the other doors, especially in the second row. So as part of our go-to-markets, on the new F-150, we eliminated this feature from the second row of the crew cabs.”

It may sound like a small and insignificant change, but Thai-Tang noted that this move saved Ford a whopping $6.5 million annually in material costs on the 2021 Ford F-150 SuperCrew. Thai-Tang also said that this is why Ford has moved to eliminate paddle shifters and adjustable pedals from a variety of its 2021 models, as very few owners actually use them, connected data has shown.
We’ll have more on all new model changes when they happen, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford F-150 news, and continuous Ford news coverage.
Not surprised - I date back to my 2016 & Ford F150 doors were plagued with issues especially during freezing rain & snow. Ford had some recalls but my problem was never fixed even after numerous trips to the dealership. I'm still concern if this problem will exist on the front two doors. My wife's SUV rear two doors also will not open unless you physically push the unlock button on one of the two front doors. Since driving my wife's SUV while awaiting my 2021 F150, I've gotton used to it. SOmetime a pain (cause I forget to unlock @ the front two doors. Curious on the real reason - realiability iissuse nstead of owners utilization stat's? I also read that Ford is considering eliminating the brake & accelerator pedals adjustment switch on some models. Hope it's not the 2021 F150. Video's I have reviewed still have it in place. Need it for my 4'8 wife :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Crapblaster

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Not surprised - I date back to my 2016 & Ford F150 doors were plagued with issues especially during freezing rain & snow. Ford had some recalls but my problem was never fixed even after numerous trips to the dealership. I'm still concern if this problem will exist on the front two doors. My wife's SUV rear two doors also will not open unless you physically push the unlock button on one of the two front doors. Since driving my wife's SUV while awaiting my 2021 F150, I've gotton used to it. SOmetime a pain (cause I forget to unlock @ the front two doors. Curious on the real reason - realiability iissuse nstead of owners utilization stat's? I also read that Ford is considering eliminating the brake & accelerator pedals adjustment switch on some models. Hope it's not the 2021 F150. Video's I have reviewed still have it in place. Need it for my 4'8 wife :)
Yeah, my wife is 4'10 and she needs them. That was one item she wants.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I am finding more and more that I wish my new ‘21 had the sensors on the rear doors as well.

Nlitend1

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 502 3.5 6.5crew
Occupation
Contractor
Our edge has 4 door as well. Unlock and lockable from all doors would have been awsome. I can't count how many times I go open the locked back door. Frustrating.

BoostedECO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Might seem like a dumb question but how do these work. I put my hand on the handle sometimes it locks and unlocks right away sometimes not

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
No issues here. Soon as my hand touches the sensor-it opens and I immediately let loose. I learned that if leave my hand on longer it tends to lock.

Sponsored

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Might seem like a dumb question but how do these work. I put my hand on the handle sometimes it locks and unlocks right away sometimes not
Be sure you're not accidently resting a finger against the front lock button when you reach into the handle to touch the back.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
My 2019 Ram only had the proximity unlock on the front doors. While I don't prefer it you just learn to reach for the front door before going for the back door. Inconvenient? Yes! Something to waste time being annoyed at - nah.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Hmm, I wasn’t aware it was ever on the rear doors of the supercrews and I’ve owned a 13,15,17 and 19 platinum’s the 21 limited that I test drove before I ordered the new platinum did have it as does my 20 explorer but not my 18 explorer. I did notice that there are no articulating pedals on the new exploder but I attributed that to the loud pedal being hinged at the floor instead of hung from a pedal hangar above which I suspect is a product of the new exploder being based on the current mustangs underpinnings (found this out accidentally when I ordered drilled and slotted rotors and wheel locks, guess which part numbers are all the same!) sharing platforms might explain one of the reasons why the new exploders aren’t front wheel drive any longer!
Sponsored