Done

herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW
First, this forum has been a valuable source of info and experiences! I wish everyone having trouble with their F-150 PB luck with getting them taken care of.

I got my PB at the end of last August. At first, it was great. By November the first weird thing happened. Overall, of all the 1st generation vehicles I have owned, this was by far the worst experience. Maybe if customer support was better I could have found some satisfaction but it wasn't.

1. November my personal settings would disappear to default. It was random. Sometimes it would happen two or three times in a row. I never took it in for service for this because it was a random annoyance.
2. Also around November, something started to rattle in the driver's side A-pillar. I called for an appointment and found more than a month wait to get service and I might have to leave the truck for a day or two... I did not take it in, snow was coming, and living rural this was going to be a total PITA.
3. Also around November, the driver-side window one-click close stopped working.
4. February arrives and the cold temps arrive too. I get the horrible grinding on startup. I take it in and the dealer service says they can't reproduce it (it was 40 degrees warmer in the city) and there is nothing they can do if they can't diagnose it.
5. Early April, transmission fluid starts leaking, shifting at highway speeds and uphill goes to complete crap. A couple of shifts were so harsh I wondered if ate a gear. Given the type of transmission, I figured at least one dogear clutch was not engaging in time. I took it into the dealer service, they said if I just showed up they would work it in. I dropped it off. I had to get my own rental! The best I can tell it sat five days before it was looked at. A leaking gasket for the "gear selector" was found. They had to order the part. The dealer acknowledged that the leak could be caused by an internal failure, in which case the transmission tech would need to look at it. Their one and only transmission tech had a one-month backlog. The likely outcomes were a transmission rebuild or replacement. Both would take at least an additional month (2 months total)... The leaking gasket arrived five days later and was replaced. On the drive home, shifting initially improved but was still chunky. Two days later shifting got worse and it was over-revving and missing shifts again at highway speeds in the mountains (seemed fine at lower speeds on the flats)...

I saw a RAM dealership with a new shipment of 1500s on their lot, so I stopped by. I've never owned a RAM or Chrysler product before, my only experience was with rental PT Cruisers. I walked out with a better than expected trade on the PB for a RAM 1500 Rebel EcoDesiel (actually got $1500 in accessories without charge). A few first week observations with the RAM;
1. RAM is heavier than the Ford PB, and has true offroad tires (GY Wranglers), due to the Rebel trim it is lifted several inches (2?) but has the same approximate towing capability.
- My MPG test driving from the gas station at the bottom of the mountain up to our house, 1500ft in elevation gain over 4 miles, up to 9500ft.
- F-150 PB averages 11 MPG on a good warm day
- 1500 EcoDiesel averaging 14 MPG so far
- over about 8 months the F-150 averaged about 19 MPG (winter most months)
- For over 4 days the EcoDiesel is averaging 25 MPG on mountain highways and roads (never saw 25 in the Ford).
2. The F-150 is way faster at acceleration, not surprising to me, I knew this. I've had diesel before.
3. The RAMs on the lot, shipped for dealers, have missing features. To get bells and whistles an order has to be placed. So some items I could not get without a special order (none of these are a huge deal to me, I've been driving for 35 years, and probably 25 years without these bells and whistles). The build I got off a dealer lot does not seem to be possible to configure on the RAM website.
- no adaptive cruise
- no blind spot detection
- no wrap around cameras
- 8.5 inch center display
- no built-in navigation
4. But, the Rebel trim is much nicer than the Ford XLT (at least the Rebel I got).
- leather seats, heated front and rear
- great instrument panel, very great actually compared to the XLT (certainly better suites my preferences)
- Andriod/Apple Carplay - for navigation, it is well integrated with the rest of the electronics too
- turning radius is WAY better!
- trailer brake controller
- hill descent assist

I've had diesel vehicles before so I'm familiar with cold weather and running diesel fuel (just gave away my extra fuel treatment when we moved, unfortunately).

So I've had it with the issues. Mine may have been less than others, but I cannot waste the time to get the Ford running right.

Ford F-150 Done IMG_0117
Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Congrats on the Ram! I was very close to getting one myself before ultimately deciding on the Ford, but they're undoubtedly great trucks. And you certainly gave Ford a chance or two. Good luck with the Rebel!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

It would be COMPLETELY different if Ford (or any manufacturer currently) could provide warranty service/repair in a timely fashion.

If the dealership could just order a transmission (or APIM, or exhaust heat exchanger, or....) and have it arrive promptly and installed and the customer could put it behind them and go on to enjoy their investment.........

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Good luck with the Ram! After you have driven the Ram for a while come back and give us your thoughts. Not necessarily on just the Ram but your experience "likes and dislikes" with both. Again the best of luck with your new ride!

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
I almost ordered a rebel. Ultimately it was the test drive that brought me to Ford (the powerboost just outperformed all the ram engines). But if you don't mind the lack of hp on the ecodiesel, it's a great truck. I've often wondered if I made the right choice, but what's done is done. I haven't gotten my truck yet though, so I will see if I have any of these issues. I think the rebel also looks a lot better than the f150. It really was a hard decision for me lol, just wish Ram would bring their engine technology into this century and it wouldn't have been a decision at all.

Good luck with the new truck!

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Hey, dont blame ya. Ive had three 4th Gen Rams, an 2011, a 2015 and a 2019 Classic...loved them all, never had an issue. Wife still liked my Ram better than F150...

Ford F-150 Done 20191013_140344

Ryan091

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150. 2022 f150 on order
Occupation
Tool and mold
First, this forum has been a valuable source of info and experiences! I wish everyone having trouble with their F-150 PB luck with getting them taken care of.

I got my PB at the end of last August. At first, it was great. By November the first weird thing happened. Overall, of all the 1st generation vehicles I have owned, this was by far the worst experience. Maybe if customer support was better I could have found some satisfaction but it wasn't.

1. November my personal settings would disappear to default. It was random. Sometimes it would happen two or three times in a row. I never took it in for service for this because it was a random annoyance.
2. Also around November, something started to rattle in the driver's side A-pillar. I called for an appointment and found more than a month wait to get service and I might have to leave the truck for a day or two... I did not take it in, snow was coming, and living rural this was going to be a total PITA.
3. Also around November, the driver-side window one-click close stopped working.
4. February arrives and the cold temps arrive too. I get the horrible grinding on startup. I take it in and the dealer service says they can't reproduce it (it was 40 degrees warmer in the city) and there is nothing they can do if they can't diagnose it.
5. Early April, transmission fluid starts leaking, shifting at highway speeds and uphill goes to complete crap. A couple of shifts were so harsh I wondered if ate a gear. Given the type of transmission, I figured at least one dogear clutch was not engaging in time. I took it into the dealer service, they said if I just showed up they would work it in. I dropped it off. I had to get my own rental! The best I can tell it sat five days before it was looked at. A leaking gasket for the "gear selector" was found. They had to order the part. The dealer acknowledged that the leak could be caused by an internal failure, in which case the transmission tech would need to look at it. Their one and only transmission tech had a one-month backlog. The likely outcomes were a transmission rebuild or replacement. Both would take at least an additional month (2 months total)... The leaking gasket arrived five days later and was replaced. On the drive home, shifting initially improved but was still chunky. Two days later shifting got worse and it was over-revving and missing shifts again at highway speeds in the mountains (seemed fine at lower speeds on the flats)...

I saw a RAM dealership with a new shipment of 1500s on their lot, so I stopped by. I've never owned a RAM or Chrysler product before, my only experience was with rental PT Cruisers. I walked out with a better than expected trade on the PB for a RAM 1500 Rebel EcoDesiel (actually got $1500 in accessories without charge). A few first week observations with the RAM;
1. RAM is heavier than the Ford PB, and has true offroad tires (GY Wranglers), due to the Rebel trim it is lifted several inches (2?) but has the same approximate towing capability.
- My MPG test driving from the gas station at the bottom of the mountain up to our house, 1500ft in elevation gain over 4 miles, up to 9500ft.
- F-150 PB averages 11 MPG on a good warm day
- 1500 EcoDiesel averaging 14 MPG so far
- over about 8 months the F-150 averaged about 19 MPG (winter most months)
- For over 4 days the EcoDiesel is averaging 25 MPG on mountain highways and roads (never saw 25 in the Ford).
2. The F-150 is way faster at acceleration, not surprising to me, I knew this. I've had diesel before.
3. The RAMs on the lot, shipped for dealers, have missing features. To get bells and whistles an order has to be placed. So some items I could not get without a special order (none of these are a huge deal to me, I've been driving for 35 years, and probably 25 years without these bells and whistles). The build I got off a dealer lot does not seem to be possible to configure on the RAM website.
- no adaptive cruise
- no blind spot detection
- no wrap around cameras
- 8.5 inch center display
- no built-in navigation
4. But, the Rebel trim is much nicer than the Ford XLT (at least the Rebel I got).
- leather seats, heated front and rear
- great instrument panel, very great actually compared to the XLT (certainly better suites my preferences)
- Andriod/Apple Carplay - for navigation, it is well integrated with the rest of the electronics too
- turning radius is WAY better!
- trailer brake controller
- hill descent assist

I've had diesel vehicles before so I'm familiar with cold weather and running diesel fuel (just gave away my extra fuel treatment when we moved, unfortunately).

So I've had it with the issues. Mine may have been less than others, but I cannot waste the time to get the Ford running right.

IMG_0117.jpeg
I thought they stopped making the eco Diesel engines because they were blowing up, and diesel insane compared to gas now

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I almost ordered a rebel. Ultimately it was the test drive that brought me to Ford (the powerboost just outperformed all the ram engines). But if you don't mind the lack of hp on the ecodiesel, it's a great truck. I've often wondered if I made the right choice, but what's done is done. I haven't gotten my truck yet though, so I will see if I have any of these issues. I think the rebel also looks a lot better than the f150. It really was a hard decision for me lol, just wish Ram would bring their engine technology into this century and it wouldn't have been a decision at all.

Good luck with the new truck!
Re. Ram's engine technology. This is exactly why I passed on them, too. Loved everything else about the truck. Can't wait to see the 2024 (?) Rams with the Hurricane V6 replacing the Hemi...

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have thought the Rams have been the best looking trucks for quite a few years.
Just not available in the extended cab 8 ft box.
Besides, the F150 was the one that just said “this is for you” as soon as I got in it.
It just felt right.
In the 5 years before actually ordering one, I rented a lot of Ram, Chevrolet, Suburban, Expedition and F150.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Congrats

Sponsored

OP
OP
herothedog

herothedog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT PowerBoost 7.2kW
I thought they stopped making the eco Diesel engines because they were blowing up, and diesel insane compared to gas now
I just paid 4.89 for diesel so not too bad here (yeah about 0.90 more than regular). But I'm already averaging 25 MPG compared to the 19 MPG I got in the PowerBoost. Certainly, some trade-offs, but at this point, I find the RAM "fun" and the Ford was "just a truck"... certainly boils down to personal preferences.

A Dog

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I had just traded a 2020 3500 high country diesel with every option available in Dec2021. The same day it dropped off the truck was the day I bought it .Way more truck than I needed for my application. I’ve got more options on the 2021 PowerBoost platinum and and have not had any equipment problems. I bought it in December 2021. From a lot of treads that I read the earlier 2021‘s in the first and second quarter had lots of issues. Unfortunate that some folks had these problems but I wonder if it was due to the Covid issue and production. Sad to read the above issues. Maybe I’m just lucky. One thing I can’t figure out is I ended up with the blue cruise 2.0 assist with no charge? It’s on my sticker however there’s no charge next to it!

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Very glad you are a happy truck owner now! :)

FWIW for others who read this thread, our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost (built March '21, chip hold, delivered July '21) has been really wonderful the last year!

It is all around better than the 2008 Ram 1500 Laramie we had previously.

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
One thing I can’t figure out is I ended up with the blue cruise 2.0 assist with no charge? It’s on my sticker however there’s no charge next to it!
It is included with the 701A High package on Platinum trims.
Sponsored