Sponsored

Does V8 have Auto Start/Stop & Cylinder Deactivation?

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Cylinder Deactivation-seems to me you would have to order it special. My 5.0 does not have it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Does Ford F-150 Have Cylinder Deactivation? 5 Facts To Know (trucksauthority.com)
Can cylinder deactivation in Ford F150 be turned Off?
Turning OFF the cylinder deactivation feature is undesirable because of the concerns regarding harmful emissions to the environment.

However, it is an excellent feature to improve the mileage of your truck.

You will likely get a warning from police or any other authority on the road if you disable it. However, there are methods available to disable it in case of some fault.

To turn OFF, you can use a simple and free trick available.

You can do it by unplugging the small cable hooked to the battery’s negative terminal via a connector.

It disrupts the battery monitoring system and other functions for fuel economy. However, there are some drawbacks to this method.

For example, you will get a warning message every time you start the Ford F-150 regarding battery service due soon. Moreover, it won’t be able to detect the failure of the alternator to charge the battery.

The second method will be using the FORScan software to change the programming of the truck ECU to disable it.

However, you will need to hire some expert services and spend some money to disable this feature.

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Is the deactivation on in Sport mode? The difference is obvious when launching from a stop.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
To turn OFF, you can use a simple and free trick available.

You can do it by unplugging the small cable hooked to the battery’s negative terminal via a connector.
I thought this trick after further testing was found to not work. Not that I care much about it anyway as a warning on the dash would be far more obnoxious than the perfectly seamless cylinder deactivation.

You will likely get a warning from police or any other authority on the road if you disable it.
What kind of police state is that? It’s possible that maybe *maybe* it might fail a smog inspection but the way they test probably not likely and even then there would be no warning… just a fix it before completing registration please. Average joe cop on the highway would never have any way to detect its disabled… heck its not even detectable while enabled.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I don't know about that but for what it's worth... the 2021 5.0 was redesigned to handle Cylinder Deactivation and A.S.S. so the starter and the engine itself IS improved over the 2020 5.0

...or at least "stronger". I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you were planning to add a blower or something. THAT might be a problem. :oops:
Ha! Hard pass. I will be staying stock, besides already having all the power I need there are other things I would much rather spend my money on.

Only thing I will put in is the A.S.S. Memory thing because that is noticeable and it always picks the most annoying times… for example:
- Pulling out of my neighborhood I do a momentary complete stop before turning with the expectation to go right away… if I hold it for more than a moment… bruuuhh… shutdown and gotta lift my foot so it restarts and now I miss my traffic window.

another example:
- Pulling to a red light it shuts down… cool i like this as I know its a long light… except 15 seconds later it starts back up (climate control)…. So that was pointless. It should know better than to think climate can be maintained when it is 110 out.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
another example:
- Pulling to a red light it shuts down… cool i like this as I know its a long light… except 15 seconds later it starts back up (climate control)…. So that was pointless. It should know better than to think climate can be maintained when it is 110 out.
Engineering Explained on YouTube did a scientific test and found that (at least on the vehicle he tested with, I assume a bigger V8 would yield even more significant results) if you are going to be stopped longer than 3 seconds, you save fuel by stopping the engine. So for 12 seconds it has a point…lol

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
Is the deactivation on in Sport mode? The difference is obvious when launching from a stop.
It is not on in sport mode. However, it is not 'on' when you're sitting at a light. That's what start/stop is for... The Obvious difference is the shift points and how long it holds a gear before shifting in sport mode. Mine will hold 3rd through like 50 vs normal its into 3rd by 15 mph and in 10th by 50.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
Auto start / stop removal was an option for the 22 I just ordered. I didn't see it on the order guide PDF floating around but It was on the dealer order system. It also knocked off $50 when selected.

Sponsored

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I saw a video on another ford website on how to deactivate the cylinder kill feature. Don't ask which one because it was too technical for me.

bakerd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser/Assessor
FWIW, I just picked up mine Saturday, with a build date of 10-4-21 and it had a $50 credit for "Auto Start-Stop Removal. I noticed this on a lot of the newly arriving ones at dealers when I was looking for mine. I ask the GM of my dealer about it and he said that Ford is removing that feature (Edit: On some, you would probably have to order it with it if you wanted it) at this point due to the microchip shortage. They aren't required, yet, to have them, and they started removing them from some.

Last edited:

fayby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
That’s very interesting. I guess chip shortage override emission standards.
I have tried and failed to notice the cylinder deactivation on my 5.0. I guess it happens when cruising at certain speed but I just can’t feel anything myself.
The auto start/stop is a bit annoying but I’ve got used to that long time ago since every car I’ve driven in the past 5 years has it.

FORDHOSTAGE

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150GEN14
Occupation
Hostage
Ha! Hard pass. I will be staying stock, besides already having all the power I need there are other things I would much rather spend my money on.

Only thing I will put in is the A.S.S. Memory thing because that is noticeable and it always picks the most annoying times… for example:
- Pulling out of my neighborhood I do a momentary complete stop before turning with the expectation to go right away… if I hold it for more than a moment… bruuuhh… shutdown and gotta lift my foot so it restarts and now I miss my traffic window.

another example:
A.S.S. is a pain in the A.S.S. sometimes.

I had it in my last "company" Ford and it REALLY sucked in city traffic when the "hole shot" was your only hope ever of getting past the guy in his Subaru Outback, alone ...wearing his mask, slowly leading you from one red light after another.

But in my "personal" vehicle, I can see it's usefulness and just having the ability to defeat it when I don't want it is enough.

My main concern was "wear & tear" until I read up on it and Ford seems to have gone over & above to address that with the newly redesigned coyote.

FORD is AWESOME!

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
If you have A.S.S and want to disable it, search Youtube and you'll find multiple ways to do it, some you can buy, some appear to be a simple jumper wire you have to install..
Sponsored