Sponsored

Does the power tailgate open/close normally as well?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Looking at videos of the power tailgate, it looks like to lower it you just open the tailgate latch and the motor/mechanism does the rest. Then to close it you push it up a bit and it closes on its own. My question is, if I wanted to open/close the tailgate quickly could I still do so by pushing it open/closed quickly Like a normal non-powered tailgate without ruining the motor/mechanism? I like the option to close the tailgate with just the key fob, but when I want to open my tailgate I don’t want to sit there and wait 5 seconds. Same when I close it and walk away from the truck, I want to be able to close it up quickly and know it’s latch/locked before I walk away without standing there like a dumbass for 5 seconds before I can walk away.
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to update you. Looks like a verified owner has confirmed you can turn off the power tailgate feature in the Sync 4’s settings. ?here, post #2:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...r-lariat-sport-3-5l-ecoboost.1220/#post-15743
Sponsored

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
FYI - You can also close the power tailgate manually if you just lift and close it "quickly" if you pause after about 4 inches of travel or so the auto tailgate will close by power. Opening it as far as I know is always power / damped.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I thought you could also close a power tailgate (that's in the down position) with just an upwards nudge of your knee, and it would then close automatically.

Saw this in a marketing or early preview video. I could not replicate this feature on the vehicles in a dealer lot that I tried it on.

Can anyone confirm that the "knee bump" technique works?

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I thought you could also close a power tailgate (that's in the down position) with just an upwards nudge of your knee, and it would then close automatically.

Saw this in a marketing or early preview video. I could not replicate this feature on the vehicles in a dealer lot that I tried it on.

Can anyone confirm that the "knee bump" technique works?
Did it on a Platinum, might need to bump it a little more.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
That would be really nice to have as an alternative. I wonder if the tailgate will be damped (not slam down) if I open it without power...

I just have the power release/open...not the power close. I can't recall if the power release/open is standard on a certain model level.

To close, I just shut it by hand....as slow or fast as I want.

Sponsored

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
FYI if you have the power tailgate make sure that it is enabled in the setting it comes from the factory disabled as well as the power boards and a number of other items. Not sure all the dealers are aware that they need to enable it, I know at least one that wasn't.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I just have the power release/open...not the power close. I can't recall if the power release/open is standard on a certain model level.

To close, I just shut it by hand....as slow or fast as I want.
I believe XLT has a dampened gate only. No power assist going up.
Not sure how I am going to like the dampened opening.
I’ve always been in the habit of holding the gate to keep it from slamming down anyway.
She will probably like it when she steals the truck to go shopping tho.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I believe XLT has a dampened gate only. No power assist going up.
Not sure how I am going to like the dampened opening.
I’ve always been in the habit of holding the gate to keep it from slamming down anyway.
She will probably like it when she steals the truck to go shopping tho.
Its a very smooth slow opening without any slamming when you use the key fob or the soft button on the tailgate handle.

I don't recall the movement if you yank on the tailgate handle.
Sponsored