Sponsored

Does the power tailgate open/close normally as well?

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
Looking at videos of the power tailgate, it looks like to lower it you just open the tailgate latch and the motor/mechanism does the rest. Then to close it you push it up a bit and it closes on its own. My question is, if I wanted to open/close the tailgate quickly could I still do so by pushing it open/closed quickly Like a normal non-powered tailgate without ruining the motor/mechanism? I like the option to close the tailgate with just the key fob, but when I want to open my tailgate I don’t want to sit there and wait 5 seconds. Same when I close it and walk away from the truck, I want to be able to close it up quickly and know it’s latch/locked before I walk away without standing there like a dumbass for 5 seconds before I can walk away.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
From how it looked at the test drive event, it appeared like you would have to let it do it’s own thing rather than force it up quickly. I tried and I could hear the hydraulics and the motor making noise that didn’t sound good.

On a better note, I can confirm that trucks equipped with the power lift gate option can be opened AND closed from the driver’s seat.

That may be old news, but I thought that was amazing when I saw it!

OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
From how it looked at the test drive event, it appeared like you would have to let it do it’s own thing rather than force it up quickly. I tried and I could hear the hydraulics and the motor making noise that didn’t sound good.

On a better note, I can confirm that trucks equipped with the power lift gate option can be opened AND closed from the driver’s seat.

That may be old news, but I thought that was amazing when I saw it!
thanks I didn’t know that part, that sounds like a pretty useful capability.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
According to the owner manual, you can go into the settings on the touchscreen and set the power tailgate to 'manual mode'. This should turn all the power functions off and allow you to use the tailgate in the traditional manner.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
According to the owner manual, you can go into the settings on the touchscreen and set the power tailgate to 'manual mode'. This should turn all the power functions off and allow you to use the tailgate in the traditional manner.
That would be really nice to have as an alternative. I wonder if the tailgate will be damped (not slam down) if I open it without power...

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Having not played with one yet, I don't want to tell you 'yes' as a definitive answer. However, turning the power assist off doesn't disconnect the components, so the (un)powered rams should act like shocks and slow the descent of the tailgate. The inverse of that, of course, is that you may have some resistance when pushing it back up.

In either case, I'm looking forward to it, as my Taco doesn't have anything keeping it from slamming down and my kids have narrowly missed being smacked a time or two while they are trying to get something out of the back of my truck.

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
I ordered the tri-fold tonneau bed cover. Wondering if the auto tailgate will function without first unlatching the cover by hand?

OP
OP
TruckGuy2020

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military
I ordered the tri-fold tonneau bed cover. Wondering if the auto tailgate will function without first unlatching the cover by hand?
I’d like to know the same. If the tri food works like most other tri folds I would expect it not to latch to the tailgate itself, allowing for the automatic gate to work even with the cover on

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d like to know the same. If the tri food works like most other tri folds I would expect it not to latch to the tailgate itself, allowing for the automatic gate to work even with the cover on
I think it will be dependant on which tri-fold you buy. The factory one on my Tacoma allows the tailgate to open/close without having to do anything with the trifold in order to maintain a seal. The Bakflip requires the tri-fold be ajar to seal tight on the tailgate. Ford has been using a branded version of the Bakflip on the F-150. I'll shoot Bakflip an email to see how their unit is going to work with the power tailgate and if they have made any updates.

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
I think it will be dependant on which tri-fold you buy. The factory one on my Tacoma allows the tailgate to open/close without having to do anything with the trifold in order to maintain a seal. The Bakflip requires the tri-fold be ajar to seal tight on the tailgate. Ford has been using a branded version of the Bakflip on the F-150. I'll shoot Bakflip an email to see how their unit is going to work with the power tailgate and if they have made any updates.
Thanks that would be helpful.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I have a bakflip that has been on 2 F150s now. I don't do anything with the cover to let the tailgate down or up. If I want to lift up one of the bed cover panels, I have to release the latch.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am waiting to hear back from Bakflip. According to the information I was able to glean from their site (and on Youtube), only the new MX4 has 'universal functionality' which allows you to open and close the tailgate without popping up the final panel. All other models will allow you to open the tailgate, but when you go to close it the procedure is: pop-up the last Bakflip panel closest to the tailgate, shut the tailgate, push down on the panel to seal it to the tailgate.

I'm not saying you can't use it the way that you do, I am just not sure you are supposed to. I'm I am not mistaken, Ford uses the G2 model as their branded 3-panel top.

Again, I don't have one, I have just been doing the research. When I get the definitive answer from Bakflip, y'all will know immediately.

bgrohmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 Lariat
I am waiting to hear back from Bakflip. According to the information I was able to glean from their site (and on Youtube), only the new MX4 has 'universal functionality' which allows you to open and close the tailgate without popping up the final panel. All other models will allow you to open the tailgate, but when you go to close it the procedure is: pop-up the last Bakflip panel closest to the tailgate, shut the tailgate, push down on the panel to seal it to the tailgate.

I'm not saying you can't use it the way that you do, I am just not sure you are supposed to. I'm I am not mistaken, Ford uses the G2 model as their branded 3-panel top.

Again, I don't have one, I have just been doing the research. When I get the definitive answer from Bakflip, y'all will know immediately.
I’m very curious to know this as well.

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if Ford is staying with the Bakflip G2? They're charging $995 for the hard folding cover and you can buy the better MX4 aftermarket for less than that.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It took some time for Bakflip to get back to me, but I finally have an answer. The rep would not confirm that Ford uses Bakflip as the Ford Branded cover. I believe we have established through the forum that they do, but I cannot 100% confirm that information.

The MX4, G2, and F1 models have all been upgraded to allow for the tailgate to open and close without having to pop the tonneau up. The Fibermax unit has not been upgraded, so you will need to pop the tonneau open, close the tailgate, and then secure the tonneau back down if you have that unit/buy that unit in the future.
Sponsored