OP

Inshore97

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Pilot, 2015 Genesis 3.8bSWD
I guess my biggest issue is no Ford response according to my dealer. I get the global supply chain issues, I do not get Fords lack of communication. This to me this should just happen , take the order and provide a timeline for consideration, even if it is 6 months out or will spill into a new year.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I guess my biggest issue is no Ford response according to my dealer. I get the global supply chain issues, I do not get Fords lack of communication. This to me this should just happen , take the order and provide a timeline for consideration, even if it is 6 months out or will spill into a new year.
It'll get to you when it gets to you. Anyone ordering right now takes a chance on delays. That's why I bought off the lot. Ford isn't going to hold hundreds of thousands of hands of people who placed orders. orders from Mustangs, Broncos, Navigators and all. They will build it as soon as they can. I ordered a brand new 1973 Corvette as a present to me for getting my first job out of college. I never got that car I bought a like new used 1969 427 Corvette because of delays. The ordered car came in 5 months after I bought the 1969. Just need to suck it up.

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Are you sure it's not just an incompetent employee at the dealership?

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
Hard to believe my dealer cannot get a Vin for a high end King Ranch ... Waiting for over 1 month ....

I guess Ford really does not want to sell the trucks ... Really surprised they do not even want to put orders into their system...

Disappointed in a major US company....I see others are switching cannot Blame folks...
Ford is supposedly going to lose its arse this year. I read from 1.5 to 2,5 billion in lost revenue.

Once they create the VIN, the fuse is lit to complete the job. Ford dragging their feet on the VIN number buys them time is what I figure. Every other week there is a new shortage or problem building the 21 F150s. I live about 30 miles from Claycomo and I knew the exact week that Ford switched from the 2020s and began building the 2021s. They were cranking them out and parking them all around the plant and down the road. I thought that rather odd with the rollout already months late and dealers anxious to get their best seller in stock.

I now believe that I know why that was. I surmise that this chip shortage has been going on from day 1 and they completed and shipped the trucks as chips came back in stock.

Henryrlee

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F-150 platinum ordered 2004 F350 2021 plt exp
Occupation
Us army retired
I'm sure they WANT to clear the backlog as much as we want our trucks. There's aparts problem. What are they supposed to do? My order was confirmed at Ford on 2/22/21 and has a build week of 4/5. That's next week, seems pretty quick. Fully optioned KR, 6.5 bed. Fingers crossed.
My platinum was ordered October 1 confirmed dec 1 tentative build date May 3

Sponsored

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid
That sounds like it could be someone at the dealer not understanding the process. Unfortunately there are plenty of dealers out there who know less about it than we do. They should be able to pull up their tracking website, use your order number, and get a VIN once the vehicle is scheduled to a (very tentative) build WEEK

mortgagemaniac

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 King Ranch, 2018 Expedition
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Are you sure it's not just an incompetent employee at the dealership?
I was wondering the same. I ordered my first Powerboost KR on 10/6. On 1/14 it was discovered that the 360 camera was left off the order. After looking to purchase one from stock I decided to reorder on 1/19. First truck arrived 2/9 and second truck arrived 3/16. 4 months on first order and less than 2 months for second order. Not sure why the hold up for so many others.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I find this very suspicious. VIN's are generated shortly after the order is placed by the dealer. The vast majority of people here, like myself, had their VIN's within a week of the dealer submitting the order. While it would be hard to verify, I am betting your dealer did not have any more allocations for the month and was not able to place the order.
Its great that you got your VIN so quickly. My dealer also told me that a VIN is 'normally' available 7-10 days after placing the order. Unfortunately for most of us, these are not normal times. Many on this Forum waited many weeks longer just to get a VIN (including myself, 6 weeks) and months more to get their vehicles (count me in that number; still waiting).

This is primarily due to the pandemic and resulting chip shortage, as has been widely reported. As for Ford, their biggest Revenue and Profit generator is the F-150. They announced last week that this supply chain issue may cost them $1-2.5 Billion in Profit this year! I am confident that they are doing everything possible to meet demand, including prioritizing F-150's over other vehicles.

By all accounts (all except the rust issue, anyway), these trucks are amazing. They will be worth the wait! At least, that's what I keep telling myself! ;)

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
I got my VIN around two weeks after I ordered, 2 Mar-17 Mar, and a build date of 4/19. Salesman said he thought delivery would be late April early May. I don't think it's realistic but if it does ok but I don't think it will. The day after he called with all that info they shut the F150 plants shutdown till today. I'm more concerned with the rust issue than the delivery date.

Big Bill4749

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Edge 2020 explorer
Occupation
retired
Try buying one from Stock Dealers are selling Way over sticker

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@Inshore97,

Well said. Perhaps they expect the dealership franchisees to do this, as they have direct relationship with the customer, but they too often seem in the dark. Like you, I blame Ford (corporate) for the poor communications. It shouldn't be this hard - especially in this age of mass customization and that Interweb thing. ;)

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Another thread to ignore....

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Its great that you got your VIN so quickly. My dealer also told me that a VIN is 'normally' available 7-10 days after placing the order. Unfortunately for most of us, these are not normal times. Many on this Forum waited many weeks longer just to get a VIN (including myself, 6 weeks) and months more to get their vehicles (count me in that number; still waiting).

This is primarily due to the pandemic and resulting chip shortage, as has been widely reported. As for Ford, their biggest Revenue and Profit generator is the F-150. They announced last week that this supply chain issue may cost them $1-2.5 Billion in Profit this year! I am confident that they are doing everything possible to meet demand, including prioritizing F-150's over other vehicles.

By all accounts (all except the rust issue, anyway), these trucks are amazing. They will be worth the wait! At least, that's what I keep telling myself! ;)
@Madman I have never before heard of supply constraints causing a VIN not to be released. It's literally the first step to happen after a order has been submitted. The more likely scenario is that the dealer is not being upfront with the customer. Unpresented demand, along with a limited ordering allocation per dealer is causing delays in getting even getting the order to Ford. The dealer wants to sell you a truck. What is going to be the reaction of the customer if they tell them "Hey we can't order any more trucks this month, we will order it next month for you." They are going to lose the sale. It's easier to say "Ford hasn't provided a VIN yet".

Last edited:

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@Madman I have never before heard of supply constraints causing a VIN not to be released. It's literally the first step to happen after a order has been submitted. The more likely scenario is that the dealer is not being upfront with the customer. Unpresented demand, along with a limited ordering allocation per dealer is causing delays in getting even getting the order to Ford. The dealer wants to sell you a truck. What is going to be the reaction of the customer if they tell them "Hey we can't order any more trucks this month, we will order it next month for you." They are going to lose the sale. It's easier to say "Ford hasn't given provided a VIN yet".
@Roady - Thanks for the response. Most of this is new to me, to be candid. Perhaps I was being fed a line, but a lot of others on these threads have had the same experience. I'll defer to you, as you seem to understand the process better.

One related question - What does the monthly Dealer Allocation have to do with a custom order? Aren't they largely independent (part shortage aside)?

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
@Madman I have never before heard of supply constraints causing a VIN not to be released. It's literally the first step to happen after a order has been submitted. The more likely scenario is that the dealer is not being upfront with the customer. Unpresented demand, along with a limited ordering allocation per dealer is causing delays in getting even getting the order to Ford. The dealer wants to sell you a truck. What is going to be the reaction of the customer if they tell them "Hey we can't order any more trucks this month, we will order it next month for you." They are going to lose the sale. It's easier to say "Ford hasn't given provided a VIN yet".
I agree, I ordered in Nov of last year and didn't get a VIN till Feb 2021. I found out afterwards this was due to the dealers allocation limit and how many trucks they had pre-sold. Now I am stuck still waiting for my truck because the dealer couldn't get the order accepted in Ford's system till Feb. When I was sold the truck they said it should arrive by Feb, March at the latest and based on my ETA end date going from March 23rd, to April 20th to now being TBD that is not likely to happen.
Sponsored