Sponsored

Does factory tri-fold tonneau cover fold all the up to the rear glass like the back flip?

abelgp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL STX
I ordered the tri-fold tonneau cover from Ford but was wondering if it folds all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? Should I remove it from my order and just get the back flip?
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I ordered the tri-fold tonneau cover from Ford but was wondering if it folds all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? Should I remove it from my order and just get the back flip?
I have a back flip that has been on my last 3 Ford F150s, I removed it again to go on my 21 when it arrives but I really don't know about the Ford version. It could even be made by back flip for Ford.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
Ive always used roll tops....simply because I carry off road bikes all the time.
Can a person carry a motocross bike on the back with a tri fold still?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Ive always used roll tops....simply because I carry off road bikes all the time.
Can a person carry a motocross bike on the back with a tri fold still?
I would say that it depends on the brand of tri-fold. The Back-Flip folds twice and then up against the window. Some, like the stock unit on my current truck only fold twice, leaving one panel in place...thus losing the full length of the bed for cargo (above the bed rails).

Given that the new F-150 (with the 360 package, I think) has a camera in the rear cab brake light, visibility should not be as obscured as it would be without it, if using the Back Flip. At this point, I am going to get a hard cover, but I have no idea which one. I love the one on my current truck.

GrandSport

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f150, 2021 on order
Occupation
Admin
I have the Ford branded hard tri flip tonneau cover (the dealer threw it in on my 2017 F150 because someone ordered the truck with it and then didn't take delivery) and it is identical to back flips composite cover in virtually every way (down to the hardware and warning stickers) except for the ford badge on it. I would say with 99.9% certainty they are made by the same company or at least in the same facility. So if you wanted to save a few bucks, just order from back flip.

FWIW, I have had tons of different style bed covers over the years and I would have never spent this much on one had it not been thrown in with the truck. Now I'm spoiled and 100% sold, I can't imagine using anything else and would absolutely pay the premium now. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed I can still use my cover from 2017 on the 2021 when it arrives.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have the Ford branded hard tri flip tonneau cover (the dealer threw it in on my 2017 F150 because someone ordered the truck with it and then didn't take delivery) and it is identical to back flips composite cover in virtually every way (down to the hardware and warning stickers) except for the ford badge on it. I would say with 99.9% certainty they are made by the same company or at least in the same facility. So if you wanted to save a few bucks, just order from back flip.

FWIW, I have had tons of different style bed covers over the years and I would have never spent this much on one had it not been thrown in with the truck. Now I'm spoiled and 100% sold, I can't imagine using anything else and would absolutely pay the premium now. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed I can still use my cover from 2017 on the 2021 when it arrives.
I have had the roll back bed covers and they take up too much space, I don't like the hard fiberglass one piece units and 3 trucks ago I got this back flip and have been sold ever since. When folded back a panel or two, you can even sit or stand on it with no issues. I feel confident they will work on the 21s. When I was at the Ford drive event I could not see anything different about the bed that would prevent it.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Found this, so it does look like back flip makes the Ford version.

I've had mine for many years now and like I've said multiple trucks, so I don't remember what the warranty is. I think if you order from Ford you would get the 36,000 or 36 months which ever comes first.

Here sits my back-flip waiting a for the new truck, it still looks new even after all the years.

Ford F-150 Does factory tri-fold tonneau cover fold all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? 20201014_202809

Coyote

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 2.7
Occupation
Accountant
Thanks for the video! Does it have a key lock and any idea how waterproof it is in the rain?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the video! Does it have a key lock and any idea how waterproof it is in the rain?
I don't have any problems, I would not say it is 100% but pretty darn close. The lock for the top is actually the truck tailgate. To open the first panel the tailgate has to be down to access the release latch to the cover.

I also had this swing storage on my 18. Takes up almost no bed space and installation requires no drilling. Not sure if I will be able to re-use this or not on the 21.

May not need it for I ordered the lockable storage that goes under the rear seat. If it does fit I will still install it, I like keeping my straps and jumper and what not in it.

Ford F-150 Does factory tri-fold tonneau cover fold all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? 20171010_134314

Ford F-150 Does factory tri-fold tonneau cover fold all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? 20171010_134307

Ford F-150 Does factory tri-fold tonneau cover fold all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? 20171010_134007

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saw this video on the Leer Quad Fold. Looks like a nice unit.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Saw this video on the Leer Quad Fold. Looks like a nice unit.

That is a nice one too. Only slightly different from the back flip, may be lighter with the fiberglass composite.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Peragon makes a retractable that looks interesting to me.
Also available for the 8' people
Will retract up to the front and is easily removed for bed space---folded up can store in the cab while the full bed is in use

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Peragon makes a retractable that looks interesting to me.
Also available for the 8' people
Will retract up to the front and is easily removed for bed space---folded up can store in the cab while the full bed is in use
Looks like Undercover will be shipping 2021 F-150 covers in November. I had one on my previous truck and really liked how easy it is to remove.
Ford F-150 Does factory tri-fold tonneau cover fold all the up to the rear glass like the back flip? 1603397816931

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am not sure what brand I will buy, but will certainly be doing some research after I order my truck. I back the truck into the garage due to overhead racking on the rear wall and I like to climb up on the cover to grab things down. Easier than pulling it out and then pulling up a ladder. Although the F-150 should be taller, so I could fold the tonneau back and stand in the bed, I suppose.

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I don't have any problems, I would not say it is 100% but pretty darn close. The lock for the top is actually the truck tailgate. To open the first panel the tailgate has to be down to access the release latch to the cover.

I also had this swing storage on my 18. Takes up almost no bed space and installation requires no drilling. Not sure if I will be able to re-use this or not on the 21.

May not need it for I ordered the lockable storage that goes under the rear seat. If it does fit I will still install it, I like keeping my straps and jumper and what not in it.

20171010_134314.jpg

20171010_134307.jpg

20171010_134007.jpg

Bob,
Please keep us inform on the tonneau cover and swing case fit on your new truck. I'll probably going to try to get both before my truck arrives. Hoping there's President day sales on both the bakflip mx4 and undercover swing case. i know bakflip already advertises the 2021 version but undercover has not advertised the swing case as a fit for the 2021 f-150
Sponsored