Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks?

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
Before my hybrid drive unit was replaced, I was completely satisfied with the performance of the transmission. I'm having to put up with the learning process since I got it back earlier this week. I put close to 300 miles on it the next day but mostly interstate and steady two lane. It wasn't learning much I figured. It "lost its mind" a few times times in some traffic that day. After shutting it down and driving the next day, it was better. Today I made an HD run for an extra string of Christmas lights and all is good again.
Had my hybrid drive replaced also. So far seems that all is well, it relearned quickly very smooth since.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Had my hybrid drive replaced also. So far seems that all is well, it relearned quickly and all is well and smooth since.
Service rep told me they are seeing all kinds of factory screw ups from new vehicles. Much more than normal. Vaccine induced brain fog? I hear that is going around.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Service rep told me they are seeing all kinds of factory screw ups from new vehicles. Much more than normal. Vaccine induced brain fog? I hear that is going around.
100%.
Apparently the induced “brain fog” is also destroying the parts deliveries. Took months to get my parts delivered even when they were available. My dealer ordered my parts in May/June they received the wrong parts in August/September and when I finally got an appointment to bring the truck in for repair they turned out to be the wrong parts that had to be ordered again and took yet another month. Pretty sure I’m not the only one that’s had to deal with those kinds of delays and frustration.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...-lamp-came-on-during-acceleration.3007/page-2

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
100%.
Apparently the induced “brain fog” is also destroying the parts deliveries. Took months to get my parts delivered even when they were available. My dealer ordered my parts in May/June they received the wrong parts in August/September and when I finally got an appointment to bring the truck in for repair they turned out to be the wrong parts that had to be ordered again and took yet another month. Pretty sure I’m not the only one that’s had to deal with those kinds of delays and frustration.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...-lamp-came-on-during-acceleration.3007/page-2
It’s very strange indeed. They scan every part when they install it so they have to know the parts are wrong.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s very strange indeed. They scan every part when they install it so they have to know the parts are wrong.
Funny you say that. I didn’t believe the dealer when they told me this but they showed me the crate the hybrid electric drive was delivered in and it had the correct part number clearly labeled but the part inside was not the same part. Definitely a “brain fog” moment by Ford.

Sponsored

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Funny you say that. I didn’t believe the dealer when they told me this but they showed me the crate the hybrid electric drive was delivered in and it had the correct part number clearly labeled but the part inside was not the same part. Definitely a “brain fog” moment by Ford.
Can you imagine being a mechanic for a 100 year old company and you get a memo that says the first thing you should look for on any vehicle is whether or not the parts are correct?? ??

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Today's manufacturing complexity is SO much more than ever historically.
And I can't think of ANY mass produced vehicle that has ever been manufactured with the number of components and complexity as a fully equipped Powerboost.

The opportunity for human error is statistically more probable, right?

It's actually kind of amazing that you can buy one without a single bolt, wiring connector, or defect out of place.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Had my hybrid drive replaced also. So far seems that all is well, it relearned quickly very smooth since.
What was wrong with your hybrid drive? Mine wouldn't go "ready". Hit the start button and it would go into accessory mode with Stop Safely Now and various other malfunction lights. It would "fix" itself after a few hours and run ok for a week or so. Then, do it again. It took the dealership 5 days to R&R the drive. It was in the shop for a total of 4 weeks. Final diag/guess, order part, receive part, wait for hoist and tech and then on the hoist for 5 days.

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
Have just over 10,000 miles on my '21 PowerBoost, and it's pretty dang smooth, so no complaints here. Personally think the 10-speed/hybrid is one of the most phenomenal pieces of automotive engineering I've had the joy of owning/experiencing.

Also put 34,000 miles on my 2019 Ranger with the 10-speed and it was pretty good too, would have the occasional hard 1-3 and 3-5 shifts when it was cold (like 20°F or colder) but cleared up once it got a little temperature in it.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What was wrong with your hybrid drive? Mine wouldn't go "ready". Hit the start button and it would go into accessory mode with Stop Safely Now and various other malfunction lights. It would "fix" itself after a few hours and run ok for a week or so. Then, do it again. It took the dealership 5 days to R&R the drive. It was in the shop for a total of 4 weeks. Final diag/guess, order part, receive part, wait for hoist and tech and then on the hoist for 5 days.
My check engine light was coming on every time I went over 4,000 rpm. There was a calibration issue where the hybrid drive couldn’t keep up with the 3.5 ICE. The code it was throwing out was indicating that the difference between the Hybrid Drive and the ICE was off by 25ft/lb or more and that it either needed to be recalibrated or replaced. When it first happened there was no TSB for the issue but thankfully the truck was still driveable. When the parts came in and the dealership had availability to do the work it was months later. by the time I finally decided to bring the truck in for the repair, There was a TSB and new software released but that quick software update didn’t work so they went ahead with the repair and it took about a month to complete for a number of reasons and learning experiences along the way. I have a bit of the long story here:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...icator-lamp-came-on-during-acceleration.3007/

Also the code it was throwing was P0A1A

Ford F-150 Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks? 1637948319787

Sponsored

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
I guess I got lucky and they built mine to work OK. I don't have any problems with my 10 speed in the Lariat.
I have an 21 Platty w the EB, no hybrid and have no issues with the 10 speed trans I had the 10 speed in a 18 Limited with no issues for 25,000 miles.
It must be an issue related ty o the 21 hybrids

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
My 3.5 EB trans makes a noise in 3 &4th gear when cold, if I disconnect the battery will this help eliminate the noise by relearning? It seems like it occurs on low RPM's only in 3rd and 4th. When at operating temps I don't hear anything.

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Today's manufacturing complexity is SO much more than ever historically.
And I can't think of ANY mass produced vehicle that has ever been manufactured with the number of components and complexity as a fully equipped Powerboost.

The opportunity for human error is statistically more probable, right?

It's actually kind of amazing that you can buy one without a single bolt, wiring connector, or defect out of place.
Why wouldn’t the ability to store, track and install correct parts also have increased at the same rate as the number of parts? Do you seriously think every bolt and part is not meticulously accounted for? How else could they efficiently manage their costs? Look at any B roll footage of an auto assembly line. They always scan the parts they install. It’s not like millions of parts are just dumped into a pile and pulled from randomly.

I have never worked for an auto manufacturer but I follow the industry closely and I know the industry has spent billions on parts management, waste, inefficiencies etc. I would be shocked to learn what happened to my 2021 F150 Ltd Hybrid (outdated and incompatible power train module installed by factory) was anything other than human error and was unknown at the time……not process error due to complexity, human error due to whatever.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
All true. But it happened. Which is my point.
There was a "run" of Powerboosts that it appears that a specific harness, related to the internal cabin power outlets, wasn't plugged in at the factory. The male/female were just laying near each other but not plugged together.
Thanks to the forum, when one owner shared what the dealership found and it fixed the problem, several other owners with the same problem opened their hoods and found the same harness not plugged in.
That's human error. All the inventory control in the world couldn't protect against it.

People still play a significant role in the assembly of our Powerboost.

OP
OP

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Having put close to 5,000 kms on mine now, my biggest complaint is that it just feels so lurchy in the lower gears when shifting.

Any of the shifts after 4th or 5th gear seems almost unnoticeable, but it's the lower gears that really bother me. I suspect it to be how they have decided to program the transmission (as others have suggested) and not the actual mechanical components of the transmission - just the programming which sucks!

Not smooth.
Sponsored