Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks?

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
- Appreciably slow down shifts when "stomping" the pedal to accelerate while at speed (50 kph)
- Lunging forward in lower gears
- When going up a small ramp from a flat surface and stopping before a gate (like in a parkade) truck will shift from 1-2 and then when it realizes you are stopping at the gate, will clunk and jolt back into 1

...comparing it to my old Toyota 5 spd...well, there is no comparison.

Anyone else frustrated by moving from a buttery smoothe 5 spd to this?
Or just me?
Sponsored

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
For me it is the worst part of the truck right now. I can't imagine these rough shifts being good for the longevity of the transmission. The clunk jolt downshifts don't happen as often, but they are jarring when they do.

First Ford Foray

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Camry SE
I figured it could be part of the break in process. I currently drive a 2014 camry (6 speed) and I’m impressed with the Ford’s 10 speed. My mentality is during break in the lower gears dont get much love so they might remain a little clunkier than gears 5+. My advice, which is what i did/am doing with my truck, is take it to an empty p-lot and just snail crawl it around to let lower gears get some use.

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
The 10R80 is a beast, had one in my 2018 Mustang GT. I was excited that it was the transmission in my truck. Sure it shifts hard but it goes through the gears faster than you can go through them with a stick. The automatic mustangs are faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the manuals.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There's about 8 different shift strategies in my truck. I admit that the ones that are way too dedicated to fuel efficiency are pretty unpolished and a poor reflection of just how good this transmission can be.

My previous truck had a GearHead tune on it MOSTLY for his ability to dial the transmission into shear perfection, for my taste anyway.

So called "Sport" mode is the only oem shift strategy that gets close to using the 10-speed as a 10-speed. Far less indecisive and the truck doesn't fall on its face skipping 2nd. But most folks have an aversion to using "Sport" because of the power of suggestion.

You can drive a Porsche or Corvette gently and they are very civilized. Same with the Ecoboost F150. Sport Mode driven casually is really a great truck! Too bad Ford gimps EV miles on the Powerboost in that mode. Absolutely unnecessary.

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
My 2016 Chev 2500HD 6 speed occasionally had a clunk when shifting from 2nd to 1st. My 2021 F150 has the same clunk. I don't think this an exclusive Ford problem. Just sayin.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Nope. Smooth up and down all the time. Haven't towed yet. Will know more there once I do.

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
I’m not sure about the computers on these trucks and if they learn how you drive. I know they do on the mustang. So if you drive it hard and with a heavy foot, the computer might make it shift more aggressively. My Mustang would lunge forward when I shifted from park to drive. Called the dealership and they said they could flash it back to factory default, but it was due to the way I drove the car.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You can reset it yourself and sometimes the re-learn the second time around gives different results. (you need Forscan or an ODB device capable of wiping the learn table)

YouTube video of clearing the transmission adaptive tables.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Mine was a little abrupt at times but it seems to be good now. Maybe it was one of the OTA updates.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
It’s the best Automatic I’ve drive , at least mines shifts smoothly and quickly even when downshifting