Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks?

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Well I will add my 2 cents. I came from a 2010 Sportrac with a 5 speed and occasionally at just the right rpm and speed, a push on the accelerator would cause a clunk.
So when I received my PB on July 3rd, I had no perception as what to expect. As a side note, I have still not mastered all the electronics and options on this Lariat. But back to the tranny. Mine is so smooth shifting that I rarely feel or have any indication it has shifted up or down. The only indication that is shifting or has shifted is to look at the dash to see what gear it is in. I have the same experience with the interchange from electric to ICE and vice versa. I am fully impressed.
Sponsored

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT SC Sport - On Order - 2022 Lariat SC 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
My 2019 shifted poorly when new, then around 15000 miles, it became much better. Not sure why.

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2021 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
- Appreciably slow down shifts when "stomping" the pedal to accelerate while at speed (50 kph)
- Lunging forward in lower gears
- When going up a small ramp from a flat surface and stopping before a gate (like in a parkade) truck will shift from 1-2 and then when it realizes you are stopping at the gate, will clunk and jolt back into 1

...comparing it to my old Toyota 5 spd...well, there is no comparison.

Anyone else frustrated by moving from a buttery smoothe 5 spd to this?
Or just me?
Yes, the Ford 10-speed needs some work. I recently had a 2019 Ranger and I ended up selling it because of the harsh transmission. I know it's supposed to jump gears for fuel economy sake, but it's super annoying. Mine was a bit more harsh than normal. I took it in almost a dozen times before they finally replaced something inside of the transmission. It still was too harsh after the 'fix' so I sold it.

I don't think I'd go back to the 10-speed which is why I'm waiting on a Lightning. However, if something screwy happens with the Lightning launch that puts me off and I need to find something else, I want to, but very likely will not buy an ICE F-150 with the 10-speed.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I have no issues in downshifts but low speed, slow acceleration, 1-3 at times is just a jerky mess. Key word at times. It seems like a 50/50 split.. maybe if I eliminated any hard pulls from a stop it would learn the slow acceleration better...but sometimes it's just too much fun ?

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
ram 8speed tranny smooth as silk
Not on my 2020 Ram 2500 or many others my company owns. They're always going out. Mine stays in higher rpms for no reason sometimes like it refuses to shift.

My 2021 F150, however, does shift smooth. I've had it since June and it only has about 1,800 miles on it, so that could be part of that.

Not that this all matters to because this person is banned though. Lol.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I swear if Ford had differentiated "Normal" from "Eco" more than they did, there would be less complaints.

Or put another way, if the Normal mode was programmed with the similar shift strategy to Sport, but NOT increase the throttle tip-in, nor hold the higher rpms as much as Sport,..... it would feel less indecisive and clunky.

Although the 2021 encryption inhibits aftermarket tuning of the 10r80, anyone with an earlier model and a well tuned strategy could tell you that the software is largely the culprit.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I wouldn't say the 10 speed sucks, because while test driving to decide on my purchase I drove GMCs with the same transmission, and they were smooth as silk. It's Ford's implementation that is poor, IMHO. Others I'm sure can chime in here, but I owned '97, '00 and '09 automatics, and I recall those trucks behaved similar to my '21 in that the transmissions didn't seem to actually shift to 1st until accelerating after a stop. The gear indicator in my '21 indicates 1st when I come to a stop, but there is a distinct clunk into 1st when I start to accelerate again. Then there's the clunk when skipping 2nd. It's beyond me how skipping a gear would yield better economy than a smooth transition of power between gears. My truck exhibits another clunky shift, somewhere in the 5 to 7 range, but I don't recall exactly as I'm writing this.

Having to downshift manually starting from 10th (while in D) regardless of which lower gear you start from is another head scratcher. Switching to manual is fine for longer grades here in Colorado, but it would be nice to have a better option for shorter grades. Engine braking while in electric mode needs some work as well.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
The 10-speed transmission is a joint venture between Ford and GM. Both companies use the same transmission.

Sponsored

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
Well I will add my 2 cents. I came from a 2010 Sportrac with a 5 speed and occasionally at just the right rpm and speed, a push on the accelerator would cause a clunk.
So when I received my PB on July 3rd, I had no perception as what to expect. As a side note, I have still not mastered all the electronics and options on this Lariat. But back to the tranny. Mine is so smooth shifting that I rarely feel or have any indication it has shifted up or down. The only indication that is shifting or has shifted is to look at the dash to see what gear it is in. I have the same experience with the interchange from electric to ICE and vice versa. I am fully impressed.
I agree, I had an 2018 Limited EB & my 2021 platinum’s 10 transmission works well with no issues…

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
- Appreciably slow down shifts when "stomping" the pedal to accelerate while at speed (50 kph)
- Lunging forward in lower gears
- When going up a small ramp from a flat surface and stopping before a gate (like in a parkade) truck will shift from 1-2 and then when it realizes you are stopping at the gate, will clunk and jolt back into 1

...comparing it to my old Toyota 5 spd...well, there is no comparison.

Anyone else frustrated by moving from a buttery smoothe 5 spd to this?
Or just me?
I have my 2021 Ltd Hybrid in the shop now to look at the transmission. Having some of the same issues as you but also it sometimes will not accelerate when turning from a stop which is very dangerous. I certainly hope that is not normal. If it is I will buy a cyber truck when they come out. My first Ford and first truck ever. 52 years old. Other than the transmission I like it a lot.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Did myself what I have recommended a few times on this thread and others like it..... At 4000 miles today I cleared the adaptive tables in the transmission module.
There's no doubt that the transmission shifting strategy is affected by the empty tables. (good or bad) And so as much as some are skeptical of the term "learning", the transmission is definitely behaving differently without historical values that were previously accumulated.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Did myself what I have recommended a few times on this thread and others like it..... At 4000 miles today I cleared the adaptive tables in the transmission module.
There's no doubt that the transmission shifting strategy is affected by the empty tables. (good or bad) And so as much as some are skeptical of the term "learning", the transmission is definitely behaving differently without historical values that were previously accumulated.
I’m sure I missed it, but how were you able to clear those tables?

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
I am not impressed with the 10 speed, at least not in Normal mode. It is certainly better in Sport. I wish there was an easier way to select Sport 2wd. Ford should have placed Sport next to Normal in the selection menu, and made 2wd the default for Sport mode.
Sponsored