• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DOE - eGallon cost comparisons by State & USA

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
soon you will see a road tax on EV
We do already and with all EV's by 2035 do you want the per car road tax as your main financing for roads? Everyone benefits from roads so taxing just those who use them directly seems unfair.
Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
ICE and gasoline usage are going to disappear so financing roads and transportation has to adapt. Gasoline tax pays about 20%(?) of road costs with general income taxes and fees covering most of the costs.

Currently its best use is to increase cost of oil to discourage usage.
Latest chart I could find was 2016 that listed both CA and OR at ~51% of funding comes from gas and license taxes. I'm actually surprised they're so close given that you don't have use taxes and I don't remember your licensing fees being that much higher than ours back when I had vehicles registered in OR. Fuel up there, at least in Southern Oregon, is much less expensive than down here but I suspect Portland is much closer to San Diego in fuel prices...

...I checked on gas buddy and it looks like average prices are 3.99 for both SD and Portland. Is that what you're seeing? It shows 3.79 for Medford but my dad texted me that it's 4.19 down the road (which could be 20 miles away for all I know given what I remember about Jackson and Josephine Counties, lol).

I like your idea regarding raising prices on oil. I can't even talk oil with my dad who still changes his every 3K. Mine's at 10K but I could see him doing 5-7K since he tows much more frequently and heavily than I do...but 3K? I see a lot of people posting on Touareg sites they change theirs every 3-5K. Lot of holdovers from the 80s I guess.

Regardless, I don't disagree with your broader point that the funding models need to progress. I was just musing regarding things that could dampen adoption and potential problems with becoming captive to the only "fuel" source in a state. More importantly I'm concerned with the prospect of unelected officials fiddling with pricing and voters not being able to do much about it short of ousting the governor. I really don't want to have to suffer through recall elections every winter when 20 million people get pissed their "fuel" costs tripled :D

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My electricity cost per kw delivered is close to $0.21, my Mach-E averages 2.4 miles per KW

my Lexus RX 450H averages 28-29mpg highway and 32 around town, gas is around $3/g

i don’t see much of help driving pure electric Vehicle.

hybrids are much better option.
It definitely depends on your locality. Our electricity is cheaper (about 16 cents per kWhr) and my vehicles get around 15 mpg so I will see very significant savings. Note, you should get better range per kWhr in the Mach-e as the weather warms up.

Bill from King Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
soon you will see a road tax on EV
We already have this in VA....
Highway Use Fee (HUF)
Va. Code §§ 46.2-770, § 46.2-771, and § 46.2-772
The purpose of the highway use fee is to ensure a more fair contribution to the Commonwealth Transportation Fund from fuel-efficient and electric vehicles using highways in the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth Transportation Fund is funded, in part, by motor fuels taxes. The highway use fee is effective July 1, 2020 and will be updated on a yearly basis.
"Fuel-efficient vehicles" are defined as vehicles that have a combined fuel economy of 25 miles per gallon (MPG) or greater, while, "electric motor vehicles" are defined to mean vehicles that use electricity as the only source of motive power.
In addition to a vehicle's combined MPG rating, two other factors are considered when calculating highway use fees: (1) the fuels tax rate at the time the vehicle is registered, and (2) the average number of miles traveled by a passenger vehicle in Virginia.
Electric vehicles are required to pay a fixed highway use fee, which is currently $109.00, to reflect the amount in fuels taxes electric vehicles will not pay during a single year due to not purchasing motor fuel.
The highway use fee for fuel-efficient vehicles, or vehicles manufactured in a year in which the average combined MPG rating for all of the vehicles produced in that year is 25 MPG or greater, is calculated to reflect the difference between the amount of fuels tax that the vehicle pays in a single year, based on its combined fuel efficiency, and the fuels tax paid by a vehicle with a combined fuel efficiency of 23.7 MPG.
DMV uses the combined fuel rating as provided by the manufacturer to determine if a vehicle is subject to the highway use fee. If the combined fuel rating is not available for a vehicle, DMV uses the estimated average fuel economy as determined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for all cars of the same model year and all trucks of the same model year with a gross weight between 6,000 and 10,000 pounds.
The following vehicles are exempt from the highway use fee:
  • Vehicles with a combined miles per gallon rating less than 25 MPG;
  • Autocycles;
  • Motorcycles;
  • Mopeds;
  • A vehicle with a gross weight greater than 10,000 pounds;
  • A vehicle that is owned by a governmental entity;
  • A vehicle registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP).
Partial refunds do not include all fees paid at the time of registration. Fees not refunded are the Highway Use Fees, one-time plate reservation fees, Virginia Road Tax for heavy trucks, and any late fees.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
We already have this in VA....
And the next year, Virginia passes legislation to become a ZEV state starting with the 2025 model year. How hypocritical!

Now that my rant is over, I get the need for everyone to pay fuels tax to cover road costs. What I don’t get is how my large station wagon could be considered fuel efficient in today’s market when a good chunk passenger vehicles (other than large SUVs and Pickup trucks) get a better combined rating of at least 25 mpg. In this regard, I think of fuel efficiency as being mid 30 mpg, not 25 mpg - which at least most of my normally aspirated large cars have achieved since the late 90s or early 2000s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
They can't charge me road tax on my flying car yet!!!

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
In Michigan we have a $130 EV surcharge on registration fees. Some day in the future, probably we end up with a fee based on miles driven per year.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
In Michigan we have a $130 EV surcharge on registration fees. Some day in the future, probably we end up with a fee based on miles driven per year.
$150 here in Mississippi. About what I used to pay in fuel taxes per year. Sounds fair to me, mileage based would be even better, and to really make it fair base it on miles AND weight. Large semis do >1000times the road damage of even the heaviest passenger vehicles.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
$150 here in Mississippi. About what I used to pay in fuel taxes per year. Sounds fair to me, mileage based would be even better, and to really make it fair base it on miles AND weight. Large semis do >1000times the road damage of even the heaviest passenger vehicles.
Hummer EV would like a word on that damage comparison

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Michigan made the big rigs put on 50 tires on each truck to help protect the roads. Not sure if it helped or not. They claimed it was the amount of weight per tire that actually damaged the roads. Maybe we should have rubber roads and concrete tires.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
EPA says it will. This is from my window sticker
1643470898595.png

You see where it says 37 kWh per 100 miles? What it really means, is 37 kWh per 100 miles. I calculated it both ways and came up with the same number for the cost per mile.
It also says it’s range is 270 miles. The battery capacity is 88 kWh. 88/270 x100 = 32.6. So take your pick. ??‍♂

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It also says it’s range is 270 miles. The battery capacity is 88 kWh. 88/270 x100 = 32.6. So take your pick. ??‍♂
The difference in the numbers you are getting is that the EPA numbers are based on power from the wall, not power from the battery. There are charging losses. About 12 percent in this case.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The difference in the numbers you are getting is that the EPA numbers are based on power from the wall, not power from the battery. There are charging losses. About 12 percent in this case.
That makes sense.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Hopefully the use charge can be mileage and weight based. We have three cars that get a combined 15k to 18k miles per year if this charge is supposed to replace the gas tax.
Sponsored