Do you run Syn 4 or Apple CarPlay?

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I run Sync 4. Car play works great but I don't like the cartoon like look.
Sponsored

midwestxlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
So maybe I am doing something wrong.... I like and use CarPlay, but sometimes I just want to listen to the radio instead. My truck just reconnects to CarPlay automatically and just keeps changing from my “FM” setting back to my phone.

is there a setting to make it not change unless I select to do so? This is pretty annoying when you start listening to something and every 30 seconds or so the truck decides to change for you.

‘anyone else notice this or know of a fix?
I have had this happen and it definitely frustrated me. Not sure how or why but I would click FM and it would keep reverting to CarPlay over and over. Finally pulled over restarted and all was normal. Was definitely a quirk but hasn’t happened since. The time it did happen I had exited the truck, left it running with phone in my pocket, got back in and that’s when it acted up.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I have been using CarPlay, but the SYNC Navigation system is intriguing. I like the trailer friendly routing option and how it integrates with the digital dash. Plus, keeping it up lets me see why it is dinging (school zones, etc.).

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
I have had this happen and it definitely frustrated me. Not sure how or why but I would click FM and it would keep reverting to CarPlay over and over. Finally pulled over restarted and all was normal. Was definitely a quirk but hasn’t happened since. The time it did happen I had exited the truck, left it running with phone in my pocket, got back in and that’s when it acted up.
That is exactly what is happening to me, I’m not exiting the vehicle but I select fm, and it connects to my phone, go back to FM, and it does it again..... frustrating me a bit

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
My Sync 4 stays on what ever listening source I set it to. CarPlay does not change it.
Yeah, that is what I would like mine to do also. Not sure if it is the phone or sync 4 but something seems off.

Sponsored

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
I like CarPlay but I ran into an issue the other day up in the mountains. Couldn't use my Waze/maps nav because it couldn't get reception. I had to switch to Sync Nav which worked.

In terms of CarPlay, the only issues I've run into are it not connecting properly a few times but I haven't figured out the executable steps to recreate/avoid because it hasn't happened enough.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I have been using CarPlay, but the SYNC Navigation system is intriguing. I like the trailer friendly routing option and how it integrates with the digital dash. Plus, keeping it up lets me see why it is dinging (school zones, etc.).
My previous truck was an '18 with Sync3, and I could count on one hand the number of times I used sync nav over any of the options available on carplay. It was ugly, counterintuitive, and buggy as hell! In my new '21, I've been trying to "feel out" the sync4 system... while I can't argue that it's 1000x better than the previous version, I have to say it's unlikely to replace any carplay nav options as my primary choice.

Pros:
1. Obviously the visual appearance is a plus, especially since it matches the rest of the display(s). The ability to enlarge the sync map to "full-screen" is really cool, but I suspect that the luster of this feature will fade over time!

2. The voice command responsiveness is greatly improved from sync3, and the ability to accurately add waypoints to an active trip using only voice commands is damn handy.

3. Unlike carplay apps, the sync nav display is fluent, offering the ability to toggle to/from the side display panel while you swap with other screens.

4. The dash cluster integration is, in my opinion, the biggest advantage sync nav offers by far! I especially like its dynamic display, staying minimalistic until your next maneuver nears, then switching to a larger, more prominent display (and showing the street name) as you approach your turn.... when it works (see below).

5. It offers a surprising level of customization in regard to displaying POIs. Pan/zoom/tilt is also very responsive (although largely superficial since it "resets" its view after a few seconds while driving).

Cons:
1. Above all else, the biggest issue I have with sync4 nav is the routing itself. I have absolutely NO idea what makes its algorithm differ so much from any other apps, but it has thrown routes at me that absolutely left me scratching my head. I've verified that "tow-friendly" routing was not a factor; my only guess is that it just likes taking scenic routes????

2. Sync lacks the native integration with my phone that carplay offers. Using Siri, I like that I can instantly pull up a route to any of the contacts stored in my phone. Similarly, when I hop in the truck at 5:00 and there is a 5:30 event on my calendar, Siri predictively offers to route to that event, provided there is an address included. Using carplay, I can also easily send locations from a computer, email, or text message directly to the nav app of my choice.

3. I freely admit this is a petty and personal "complaint", but I find the 5-second disclaimer reminding me to essentially not drive like an idiot at the beginning of each and every trip incredibly obtrusive and annoying.

4. Perhaps unfair for comparison's sake, but obviously, sync navigation can not be incorporated into any automation scripts as native iOS apps can. While I don't use this quite as often as I should, its potential is huge.

5. Sync nav lacks the various app-specific bells and whistles, such as crowd reporting/weather integration/customized traffic reporting/map editing/route sharing/etc. that can be found in carplay based apps.

6. In reference to the dash cluster integration, I have noticed a bug, albeit infrequent, in which the dash display has a severe lag behind the main display. When this occurs, the next maneuver shown on the dash is two or three steps behind the primary display. To be fair, the primary map still functions properly, but if I can't be confident that the upcoming "left turn" shown on my dash shouldn't really be a "right turn", it essentially negates any benefit of having it there at all. I'm hoping this is simply a first-gen bug that will be addressed in future updates.

All things considered after about a month in my new ride, I've already used sync4 nav immeasurably more than I did my old sync3. That being said, I honestly feel that is likely more an example of me playing with my new toy... once the "hey, this is cool" excitement fades, I don't see sync becoming my daily "go-to" navigation option anytime soon. The bright spot here is that the improvement from v3 to v4 is SO profound, it does lead to optimism that it will continue to close the gap with third-party carplay apps (and that Ford devs are indeed taking it seriously)!

One last note, although not exactly related to navigation: Another bug I'm seeing often is that carplay audio often does not display proper audio information in the side panel display. My "perfect" setup is to have carplay in the primary display, running a navigation app with the side panel showing the audio tab (using carplay as the audio source). When working properly, the side tab SHOULD display the currently playing song, along with basic play/pause/skip/back controls. Instead, it often will display "No Data Available" on the side panel (despite the fact that the music app displays perfectly on the main screen). When this issue does occur (probably about 25% of the time), the "now playing" screen in the dash cluster simply says "Generic". Again, not a critical issue, but it is frustrating as it's the only obstacle to me having my carplay nav AND audio info info being shown simultaneously. I can't say for certain if this is an Apple issue or a Ford issue, but the fact that the "primary" music app displays correctly, I'm inclined to suspect the latter.

Just my $.02

DVT413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I've been running CarPlay fairly flawlessly. Typically, when I get into the truck, the CarPlay icon would automatically appear on the screen. Just tonight, the icon was no longer there... it seemed like my phone was still connected though. I love the CarPlay for the apps, Waze, text messaging etc. Anyone else had the icon disappear from the screen?

Last edited:

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I've been running CarPlay fairly flawlessly. When I get into the car, I notice the CarPlay icon on the 12 inch screen. Just tonight, the icon was no longer there... it seemed like my phone was still connected though. I love the CarPlay for the apps, Waze, text messaging etc. Anyone else had the icon disappear from the screen?
yeah, I’ve had a few instances where CarPlay doesn’t appear even though my phone is connected. Restarting the truck has cleared it up.

DVT413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
yeah, I’ve had a few instances where CarPlay doesn’t appear even though my phone is connected. Restarting the truck has cleared it up.
Thanks for the reply here. I've restarted and tried to resync and it just doesn't function the same. So bummed about this. I was loving it!

Sponsored

DVT413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I run Sync 4. Car play works great but I don't like the cartoon like look.
Forgive the silly question here... but how do I know if I'm running S4 or Carplay? I haven't changed any settings in the truck or the phone, but the CarPlay icon just disappeared.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Forgive the silly question here... but how do I know if I'm running S4 or Carplay? I haven't changed any settings in the truck or the phone, but the CarPlay icon just disappeared.

This is Nav and Music on Sync 4. You can see the CarPlay button below.
Ford F-150 Do you run Syn 4 or Apple CarPlay? IMG_1956.JPG
Ford F-150 Do you run Syn 4 or Apple CarPlay? IMG_1957.JPG

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This is what it looks like if you click on the CarPlay button:
Ford F-150 Do you run Syn 4 or Apple CarPlay? IMG_1958.JPG
Ford F-150 Do you run Syn 4 or Apple CarPlay? IMG_1959.JPG

sagarpatel

First Name
Sagar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Stay at home son
I have noticed that Apple CarPlay does not run perfect. Sometimes when making a phone call the radio keeps playing and the phone call appears on the 12” screen but my iPhone 11 does not change the audio to CarPlay. Could be that I have the phone plugged in and is on bluetooth. Apple seems to learn the correct settings over time so I hope that gets better with use. Does anyone prefer Syn 4 over CarPlay?
I used car play once, on the way back from the dealer. Ford purposely did a poor integration with it so we use sync 4. I find that it’s much better than car play. Especially the audio quality while using Bluetooth is much better.

DVT413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
This is Nav and Music on Sync 4. You can see the CarPlay button below.
IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG

Thanks for sharing this. I had that CarPlay icon showing for a month and then one day, its just gone. I can't figure it out. I'll keep trying!
Sponsored