Do you run Syn 4 or Apple CarPlay?

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
I have noticed that Apple CarPlay does not run perfect. Sometimes when making a phone call the radio keeps playing and the phone call appears on the 12” screen but my iPhone 11 does not change the audio to CarPlay. Could be that I have the phone plugged in and is on bluetooth. Apple seems to learn the correct settings over time so I hope that gets better with use. Does anyone prefer Syn 4 over CarPlay?
Sponsored

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
Haven’t had any issues like that. Im loving how you can run the Sync 4 Ford Nav and other screens while also running CarPlay.
I’m plugged in and not on Bluetooth or wireless.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I hardly ever use CarPlay and prefer to just use Sync 4 for everything.

Sponsored

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I love Ford, but for years the whole Sync thing has haunted them. Remember when they teamed up with Microsoft? They need to dump the whole technology team and get some fresh minds working on their audio interface.
While the screens are exceptable, they are lackluster (although if you want to fall asleep, look at a Silverado screen). Look at a Kenwood or Pioneer screens for inspiration.
Incidentally I run Android Auto so your not alone with Sync issues.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I have noticed that wireless Car Play response is significantly slower than wired Car Play on our Genesis G80. I assume that connecting via a USB cable on the F-150 will provide wired Car Play as in other vehicles. I might try wired car play and see it is works better.

I really like the trailer friendly route capability of the SYNC navigation system. I might end up using Car Play mainly as my music and phone connectivity and use the SYNC navigation, especially for RV trips.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
This 100%. Even with little gimmicky bugs CarPlay is superior
Yup. I just like that I can get in my truck and leave my iPhone 12 Pro Max in my pocket. In my 18 F150 I'd have plug it in and put it in the mount. My driver attention is better because I've noticed I've not touched my phone once while driving or sitting at a light since it's in my pocket. I've had no real issues with wireless CarPlay, though I've noticed Waze will occasionally not allow me to search or scroll the map. I have to kill Waze on my phone and restart it. Seems kind of random but that's the only quirk I've experienced thus far.

fordman2112

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum , Rapid Red Powerboost, BAP
Occupation
retired
I prefer CarPlay. I love apple music, it works very well, as it should, with CarPlay. And Apple Maps has gotten so much better, i use that also.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have a question about car play.
For a few years now I have toted a tablet with me for music—USB
I’ve attempted car play on the tablet, but upon closer attention, neither one of my Apple tablets show anything related to car play in the settings.
My phone does. And all the same music is on the phone as well.
(Finally got that connected, but not really sure what I did)
Anyone out there with iPads ( I have a 10” pro and an 8” mini) have car play capabilities on their tablets?
Old habits die hard, and I’m just used to having the tablet doing “stuff” and the phone being a phone.

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
All the videos I've seen, the right hand panel is still present when Carplay or Android Auto is running. Is there a way to get Carplay or Android Auto to fullscreen instead?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
All the videos I've seen, the right hand panel is still present when Carplay or Android Auto is running. Is there a way to get Carplay or Android Auto to fullscreen instead?
One of the videos by Town & Country Ford shows that only in the navigation screen you can get full screen

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
So maybe I am doing something wrong.... I like and use CarPlay, but sometimes I just want to listen to the radio instead. My truck just reconnects to CarPlay automatically and just keeps changing from my “FM” setting back to my phone.

is there a setting to make it not change unless I select to do so? This is pretty annoying when you start listening to something and every 30 seconds or so the truck decides to change for you.

‘anyone else notice this or know of a fix?

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
So maybe I am doing something wrong.... I like and use CarPlay, but sometimes I just want to listen to the radio instead. My truck just reconnects to CarPlay automatically and just keeps changing from my “FM” setting back to my phone.

is there a setting to make it not change unless I select to do so? This is pretty annoying when you start listening to something and every 30 seconds or so the truck decides to change for you.

‘anyone else notice this or know of a fix?
My Sync 4 stays on what ever listening source I set it to. CarPlay does not change it.
Sponsored