• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
"Well the home backup system is rated to supply a maximum of 9.6kW or 40A continuous (50A interconnection breaker)"

I thought that this meant as long as I wasn't pushing more than 40A (the max from the backup system) I'd be good....the other way I'd be pushing only 40A thru a charger capable of 80A...I would be wired thru a 50A breaker and wires for 40A.
Yes sorry, as long as it is a 50A circuit that handles 40A continuous. Otherwise there is potential the truck system supplies to much even if programmable to only pump something like 32A out.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Yes sorry, as long as it is a 50A circuit that handles 40A continuous. Otherwise there is potential the truck system supplies to much even if programmable to only pump something like 32A out.
Rgr that. Sounds good..80A is not a must have for me. More important to me is to be able to handle the 40A-50A backup.

Hemitoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep WK Ecodiesel
Agree that spending that much for charging is an overkill but that depends on how much electrical load you have.

My current 100A service is fine with the addition of the 80A service because most of our appliances are not electric, no pool pump, no electric appliances, etc...

My electrician said he will upgrade my current 40A EVSE by running a new line from the breaker via 100A sub panel and get me the 100A service.

Cost: $400.
Assuming and hoping this is going to be my solution. I’m 150 amp service with gas stove/oven, furnace, and hot water heater. To be honest if I can’t cheaply get the 80 amp charger, I likely won’t be getting the lightning.

OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 corvette, 14 Sierra, 19 MB S
Occupation
COO
I am op I had a 48 amp charger installed and taking a pass on the lighting and going with a Mach e . i will keep my 2014 pickup with 40k mile and just have fun with mark e

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I have my early reservations fo the lighting and doing some pre planning for charging. i live in southern Nevada and I have a 200 amp service in my house. I have pool , 2 ac and most of house is electric. I have solar panels on house that provide more power than I use each day. So where the problem is that I have only at most 40 amp left. If I am correct the Ford charger is 80 amp . If this correct I would need to run a new 400 amp service which will cost me $15,000. I am asking if I am seeing this correctly.
No but you need another 100A.

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
The Ford Mobile Charger that comes with every truck is 32A, so it needs a 40A circuit.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I think you should have an electrician determine if you actually have excess ampacity.
However it could be that a dedicated meter might end up being best option. Could be power company would charge less in return for able to stop your meter.

sk8er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Occupation
electrical
I have my early reservations fo the lighting and doing some pre planning for charging. i live in southern Nevada and I have a 200 amp service in my house. I have pool , 2 ac and most of house is electric. I have solar panels on house that provide more power than I use each day. So where the problem is that I have only at most 40 amp left. If I am correct the Ford charger is 80 amp . If this correct I would need to run a new 400 amp service which will cost me $15,000. I am asking if I am seeing this correctly.

As an electrician, I think you would be ok, your Ford charger will draw a lot of power when only used. I would even hook it up at my house that is only 100amp. the way power is distributed in most houses is that its only fused at panel with main breaker, I would add a wire splitter before the 100amp house panel and add a seconded 100amp panel for the charger. This way power is still measured by the meter base and also there are no fuses on the city side before your meter base to the transformer its hooked up to on city side. As long as you not charging a fleet of vehicles at same time this should work.

Ford F-150 Lightning Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else? ffdsf

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
As a licensed contractor, I can say with certainty that your diagram is misleading at a minimum and blatantly WRONG at the extreme. Either fix it or delete it please.

The "meterbase" also has a rating. Unless it is rated at 200 amps, it is a code violation. Most meters also have a MAIN breaker to protect the meter panel and provide a disconnect for fire services and general safety.

Everyone needs to calm down. When your order has been accepted by Ford, reach out to a reputable licensed contractor to assess your situation. Pull a permit (yes it costs a few bucks) to have a local authority inspect the work.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
As a licensed contractor, I can say with certainty that your diagram is misleading at a minimum and blatantly WRONG at the extreme. Either fix it or delete it please.

The "meterbase" also has a rating. Unless it is rated at 200 amps, it is a code violation. Most meters also have a MAIN breaker to protect the meter panel and provide a disconnect for fire services and general safety.

Everyone needs to calm down. When your order has been accepted by Ford, reach out to a reputable licensed contractor to assess your situation. Pull a permit (yes it costs a few bucks) to have a local authority inspect the work.
Also in Manitoba, Hydro do not want or allow HOT splitters. You have to have fused disconnect after the meter to de-energize all panels.

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I think the point driven home in the diagram is that the transfer switch/EVSE is installed upstream of the house panel, not downstream of it. There should be no need to touch the house panel. All the components related to the transfer switch/EVSE should be located between the existing meter and the existing house panel.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Except that it isn't a sketch of a transfer switch at all. Even if it was, it is still wrong. In the age of the internet where this information is freely available, there is no excuse for this misinformation. Leve this to the professionals.

rant off

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
As an electrician, I think you would be ok, your Ford charger will draw a lot of power when only used. I would even hook it up at my house that is only 100amp. the way power is distributed in most houses is that its only fused at panel with main breaker, I would add a wire splitter before the 100amp house panel and add a seconded 100amp panel for the charger. This way power is still measured by the meter base and also there are no fuses on the city side before your meter base to the transformer its hooked up to on city side. As long as you not charging a fleet of vehicles at same time this should work.

ffdsf.png
My co worker is a licensed electrician and he did the 30A L2 outlet w/ breaker sub panel for my PHEV a few years back and said my 100A house service is still fine for Ford's 80A charger.

He said because we don't have high draw electrical (kitchen range, water heater, heat pumps, pool pumps, etc) as we run most everything on natural gas.

Plus we charge in the evenings / overnight when electrical demand is low.

He will upgrade the wiring and change the breaker to 100A for free labor!
I just have to pay for the breaker, copper wires and beer afterwards.;)

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sure, you "could" hook thousands of amps of breakers to your 100 amp panel. You will likely trip the 100 amp main often but hey that's what its for right? Its there to protect your system from an overload.

It's not the best decision on your part. Lets have some fun. Tell your co-worker that you are going to pull a permit for the new circuit and see if he sticks to his plan. :p

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Just wait until every home wants an electric vehicle, and the grid can't carry the power that will be required, let alone provide the power.
Sponsored