• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else?

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Ranger Crew cab FX4 Lariat- Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Emporia makes a nice energy monitoring system that can be installed with amp clamps on each circuit and send the data to an app. I have been using one for about two years to monitor my tenants energy use. They are inexpensive and easy to install and provide real time energy usage as well as cumulative energy usage. All of the data is stored for future review.

This would be a good way to get a handle on whether his system can handle additional load.

Emporial link below.

https://smile.amazon.com/Emporia-Mo...hild=1&keywords=emporia&qid=1632184710&sr=8-5
Emporia is a great tool to keep a watchful eye on your energy usage . It can also be setup to warn you of a failing motor/compressor or to notify you if you left something on like a stove or curing iron :)

Ford F-150 Lightning Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else? emporia
Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Emporia is a great tool to keep a watchful eye on your energy usage . It can also be setup to warn you of a failing motor/compressor or to notify you if you left something on like a stove or curing iron :)

emporia.jpg
Got them. They work great. But what sux in my setup is I cannot monitor the compressors and such because the main breakers for them are outside facing the hot sun. Operating temp in 120 deg. The box heats up a lot more than that. I'd have to put a separate hub in there and it may not last. Emp said they sell extensions. Still not feasible because I'd have to punch through brick, install another conduit into the house leading to crawl space and put hub under the house. Not worth it.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Don't guess at it.
NEC is very clear on how to calculate this.
  • NEC Article 220: Branch-Circuit, Feeder, and Service Calculations
  • NEC Article 625: Electric Vehicle Charging Systems​
NEC does not have to prove practicality, it is the standard of safety.

Of the 3 contractors quoting, have them show you the feeder calculation sheet used to calculate there not being enough overhead for your charger.

I am not Certified in NV so I will not comment further.

OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 corvette, 14 Sierra, 19 MB S
Occupation
COO
Don't guess at it.
NEC is very clear on how to calculate this.
  • NEC Article 220: Branch-Circuit, Feeder, and Service Calculations
  • NEC Article 625: Electric Vehicle Charging Systems​
NEC does not have to prove practicality, it is the standard of safety.

Of the 3 contractors quoting, have them show you the feeder calculation sheet used to calculate there not being enough overhead for your charger.

I am not Certified in NV so I will not comment further.
No but I will ask them for it

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
I turn everything on including pool pump, 2 ac units, electric stove, electric double oven, washer, dryer and everything else . The 15 minute segment went to 14.7 kw from 3 kw.
There you go. So putting aside all of the armchair electrician comments, are you now convinced that you are perfectly fine replacing your existing 50 amp RV circuit with an 80 amp EV circuit? (You should be)

Sponsored

BruinIvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
What about upgrading to a smart 200 amp main panel to manage the various loads and individual breaker usage? I’m also looking for a solution to add a 100 amp breaker for my crowded main panel. Not very knowledgeable on this subject but found SPAN smart maim panel and it seems like potentially a good solution. thoughts/suggestions? There is one important limitation - SPAN will accommodate up to 32 circuits with max 90 amp breaker.

https://www.span.io/smart-panel-product#tech-specs

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
What about upgrading to a smart 200 amp main panel to manage the various loads and individual breaker usage? I’m also looking for a solution to add a 100 amp breaker for my crowded main panel. Not very knowledgeable on this subject but found SPAN smart maim panel and it seems like potentially a good solution. thoughts/suggestions? There is one important limitation - SPAN will accommodate up to 32 circuits with max 90 amp breaker.

I recommended this a couple pages back.

Yes, it is very limited in breaker space. There is also a limit of 90A on branch breakers which can be an issue, even with feeding a 100A circuit to the 80A Ford EVSE. However, you can use tandem breakers which could be ok if you can pair circuits logically since they will be metered and controlled together. Also, there is a main lug output that is also metered but not controlled, so you could feed a subpanel or the 80A Ford EVSE through that if you 1) add protection or upsize wire to sufficiently protect per NEC and 2) understand that will be a load that won't be controlled/disconnected as part of the Span feature that allows dropping loads to maintain 200A of maximum total usage.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
You can replace a two pole breaker in your panel and expand the capacity to a sub panel. The OP could take out his 50 amp RV breaker, install a 100 amp breaker and feed a new sub panel. That panel could have his rv breaker and his new Charger breaker. Of course, if he tries to charge and connect an rv, he could trip the 100 amp feeder. (an rv rarely uses 50 amps. Rarely)

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician

I wouldn’t for the $3500!!!

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I wouldn’t for the $3500!!!
It's not for everyone, but it does have some stacking benefits. For example it makes it much easier to extend the runtime you would get out of the battery during a utility outage, with changes to what is powered made from a phone app on the fly.

However, it will probably be more than $3500 to have installed unless your electrician works for free.

BruinIvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I recommended this a couple pages back.

Yes, it is very limited in breaker space. There is also a limit of 90A on branch breakers which can be an issue, even with feeding a 100A circuit to the 80A Ford EVSE. However, you can use tandem breakers which could be ok if you can pair circuits logically since they will be metered and controlled together. Also, there is a main lug output that is also metered but not controlled, so you could feed a subpanel or the 80A Ford EVSE through that if you 1) add protection or upsize wire to sufficiently protect per NEC and 2) understand that will be a load that won't be controlled/disconnected as part of the Span feature that allows dropping loads to maintain 200A of maximum total usage.
Thanks for the info. I missed the prior post!

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
It's not for everyone, but it does have some stacking benefits. For example it makes it much easier to extend the runtime you would get out of the battery during a utility outage, with changes to what is powered made from a phone app on the fly.

However, it will probably be more than $3500 to have installed unless your electrician works for free.
Seeing as I’m the electrician….

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
I have been following this thread and with all the expense and headache your going through. Just wondering how long do you plan on keeping the truck and what is the cost of charging it when you do get it? I am thinking 80 amps for 8 to 10 hrs on every charge, only having a travel distance of 300 miles (approx) and a lot less when pulling or carrying a load. Seems a lot of worry for little or no gain. Sorry, just my thoughts.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I have been following this thread and with all the expense and headache your going through. Just wondering how long do you plan on keeping the truck and what is the cost of charging it when you do get it? I am thinking 80 amps for 8 to 10 hrs on every charge, only having a travel distance of 300 miles (approx) and a lot less when pulling or carrying a load. Seems a lot of worry for little or no gain. Sorry, just my thoughts.
I agree that for many, charging at 80A wouldn't necessarily be required if they could more easily charge at say 40A or 48A. Keep in mind that if it is simple to connect every day or two, many owners won't be needing to put 300 miles back in every day (the "tank" is not emptied every day). The 80A is just nice to have for recovering after the vehicle is drained, and of course being able to use the 80A Ford device to power the home.
Sponsored