• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
In my case, I have an older house that has 100A "upgraded" service and my electrician said that it's fine to add the 80A breaker and to charge at low demand times (evenings - overnight).

Since the truck can be programmed to charge only at certain times, like TOU metering my utility offers, I don't need to upgrade my electrical panel...

Since I don't expect to charge fully (0-100%) for over 10 hrs daily; I am only needing to top off as I drive around 100 miles a day - probably only 4-5 hours at low demand TOU....
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
I agree with different charging rates, but with no real metered or monitored data as to what it will be like, other than hear say. Who knows?

One other thought has come to mind, with all the new EV units being sold, will hydro be able to supply the power requirements needed to charge all these EV's or will they have to upgrade the power grid and generator stations? And who will pay for all the upgrades? How long will it take the utility company to do the upgrades as required? Until the upgrades are completed, what will be restrictions placed on my consumption? Everybody that uses hydro will end up paying for the upgrades. That being said, I question why I have to pay a higher rate for my hydro so others can drive EV's.

Where I live, for me to drive from Winnipeg to Calgary (approx 875 miles) with a EV, I am looking at 3 days. That is assuming a range of 300 miles. Not counting reducing in range due to load, driving conditions and weather. With my truck, I can drive it in 14 hours.

I know, I am a shit disturber. Just questions that come to mind and just put out there for discussion.

Reactions: WRS

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Where I live, for me to drive from Winnipeg to Calgary (approx 875 miles) with a EV, I am looking at 3 days. That is assuming a range of 300 miles. Not counting reducing in range due to load, driving conditions and weather. With my truck, I can drive it in 14 hours.
875m/70mph=12.5 hours
20-80% charge=40 minutes (.66hrs)
300*60%charge =180 miles. To get to 875m, need 4 charges
Total time for EV trip = 12.5 + .66*4 = 15.14 hrs

So about an hour and 10 minutes more in an EV. If weather is very cold, you might have to stop for an extra charge or two. Or if you had a couple thousand pounds of stuff in the bed.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Everybody that uses hydro will end up paying for the upgrades.
Aren't the people buying more electricity paying for the upgrades by purchasing the product being sold? Or, if the entire system is socialized it depends on the where the costs fall in the morality hierarchy and apples for apples fairness is already a non-factor.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
875m/70mph=12.5 hours
20-80% charge=40 minutes (.66hrs)
300*60%charge =180 miles. To get to 875m, need 4 charges
Total time for EV trip = 12.5 + .66*4 = 15.14 hrs

So about an hour and 10 minutes more in an EV. If weather is very cold, you might have to stop for an extra charge or two. Or if you had a couple thousand pounds of stuff in the bed.
that is if you can find a fast charge station somewhere along the road. On the prairies towns a few and far between. Speed limit is 100 km...62 mph. What towns there are on the trans Canada you go through them not around and have to slow down.

Sponsored
OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 corvette, 14 Sierra, 19 MB S
Occupation
COO
I am the OP and went thru all the steps with multiple lis electric pros and all stated I am capped at 60 amps. So I am capped with the 48 amp charger. I am getting the extended battery which will come with the 80 amp unit. Can I install the 80 amp unit and it will downstep to 48 amps or do I need to sell it.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I am the OP and went thru all the steps with multiple lis electric pros and all stated I am capped at 60 amps. So I am capped with the 48 amp charger. I am getting the extended battery which will come with the 80 amp unit. Can I install the 80 amp unit and it will downstep to 48 amps or do I need to sell it.
I would sell it and buy the other charger personally. Get a little bit of money back and maximize your available throughput without going overkill. You could put the money back into the truck (tint, custom floor mats...etc).

OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
COO
I would sell it and buy the other charger personally. Get a little bit of money back and maximize your available throughput without going overkill. You could put the money back into the truck (tint, custom floor mats...etc).
That what I was think too. I can get a good smart 48 amp charger for 500.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
COO

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
This the one I am going with Emporia Smart Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger | Up to 48 Amp | Level 2 WiFi Enabled EVSE | NEMA 14-50 or Hardwired | Indoor/Outdoor Charging Station | 24-Ft Cable
It isn't currently UL certified. I think they are working on that, but I would personally stick to those that have been certified.
Sponsored