• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else?

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
i am op and have had two electrical contractor review my current set up . Using the nerc rules I don’t have the headroom in my current set up. I have 200 service to my house and my house mostly electric with two 5 ton ac units, electric stove, double oven , washer dryer and pool pump i have head room for 48 amp charger only . The only way I can get the 80 amp which needs headroom of 100 I would have to run a 400 run from the street. The cost been quote $15,000 to $18,000 and that not in the budget. I wanted the platinum ext battery is able to be charged with a 48 charger . I assume I would loose the automatic back up to the house. I just looking for directions.
Wow that is not good news. Thanks for updating your post. I'm curious to see how things turn out for you as I'm worried about my electrical service needing to be upgraded as well. I've only got 100 amp service and it's maxed out. I'm pissed that we asked for 200 amp when we remodeled and the contractor decided against it without telling us. This is gonna be expensive to fix. Might be a deal breaker.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This infographic shows the charge time differences for the 48amp...

If the 80amp comes standard for the Extended Battery, does the 48amp come standard for the Standard battery?

Ford F-150 Lightning Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else? ford-f-150-lightning-charging-options-and-estimated-charge-times

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
i am op and have had two electrical contractor review my current set up . Using the nerc rules I don’t have the headroom in my current set up. I have 200 service to my house and my house mostly electric with two 5 ton ac units, electric stove, double oven , washer dryer and pool pump i have head room for 48 amp charger only . The only way I can get the 80 amp which needs headroom of 100 I would have to run a 400 run from the street. The cost been quote $15,000 to $18,000 and that not in the budget. I wanted the platinum ext battery is able to be charged with a 48 charger . I assume I would loose the automatic back up to the house. I just looking for directions.
Still wouldn't be inexpensive, but look into replacing main panel with a Span panel. It can control loads automatically to ensure you never exceed 200A at a given moment in time, while allowing all those items to be connected.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Your electrician is wrong. Get a second opinion. The code is NEC and there is NO LIMIT on the number of breakers installed in a panel. Go out to you panel and add up all the breakers, It will be way over the rating of the main breaker, regardless whether it is 100 or 200 or 400. Did you ever think about how high your electrical bill would be if you were using 200 amps constantly?

I made the point earlier that you should only charge at night to get reduced time of day rates.

You never run your dryer, ac's, oven, etc all at the same time. There is a big difference between connected load and demand load. Big big difference

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
1) The 48amp charger will work just fine for you.
2) The 80A "Charge Station Pro" is intended for small businesses. Most small business locations have commercial electric service, meaning they have sufficient power drops to use the Charge Station Pro. They drive their vehicles every day for many miles as part of their business, and need to recharge them in 8 hours to be ready for use the next day. They might drive 250 miles x 300 days/yr = 75,000 miles/year. You likely aren't going to drive your vehicle even close to this much, so you don't really need that level of power feed to your home.
3) Using the truck as a temporary power source for your home... I don't think the details of the equipment needed for this have been released yet. Could be wrong.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
2) The 80A "Charge Station Pro" is intended for small businesses. Most small business locations have commercial electric service, meaning they have sufficient power drops to use the Charge Station Pro. They drive their vehicles every day for many miles as part of their business, and need to recharge them in 8 hours to be ready for use the next day. They might drive 250 miles x 300 days/yr = 75,000 miles/year. You likely aren't going to drive your vehicle even close to this much, so you don't really need that level of power feed to your home.
3) Using the truck as a temporary power source for your home... I don't think the details of the equipment needed for this have been released yet. Could be wrong.
The only detail we know for the home power backup is that you need the Charge Station pro.

OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 corvette, 14 Sierra, 19 MB S
Occupation
COO
Your electrician is wrong. Get a second opinion. The code is NEC and there is NO LIMIT on the number of breakers installed in a panel. Go out to you panel and add up all the breakers, It will be way over the rating of the main breaker, regardless whether it is 100 or 200 or 400. Did you ever think about how high your electrical bill would be if you were using 200 amps constantly?

I made the point earlier that you should only charge at night to get reduced time of day rates.

You never run your dryer, ac's, oven, etc all at the same time. There is a big difference between connected load and demand load. Big big difference
I have had 3 lic electric techs come to my house and all 3 said I would need to have a 400 line brought from the street to meter. Nevada has strict rules.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
2) The 80A "Charge Station Pro" is intended for small businesses.
What makes you think that? It's automatically included with extended battery. Meaning lot's of people will get that, even if they aren't using the truck for business.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
What makes you think that? It's automatically included with extended battery. Meaning lot's of people will get that, even if they aren't using the truck for business.
If anything, it was deigned for home use more than anything, as I believe it's required for home backup power.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Exactly...why would they be advertising the home backup feature and including the unit with all ER battery vehicles if it wasn't intended for residential use?

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Did any of these electricians through an ammeter on your existing panel and see what you are really drawing for current?

OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
COO
Did any of these electricians through an ammeter on your existing panel and see what you are really drawing for current?
They looked at the amps draw that each item would pull and said that there was no headroom no amp meter.
They looked at the panel and saw what was connected and they said no headroom. No amp meter

Ford F-150 Lightning Do I need to run new 400 amp service in my house for the Lightning + everything else? image

OP
OP

rjhedrich

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
COO
Just looking at all the 220 breakers and the piggyback 110's, I think you're overloaded already.
The rv outlet is not being used because no rv . It has 240 plug 60 amp I think. This is the plug I would use for ev charging but I told I could do only the 48 amp charger

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The rv outlet is not being used because no rv . It has 240 plug 60 amp I think. This is the plug I would use for ev charging but I told I could do only the 48 amp charger
You have 2 110V piggyback breakers where your 220V RV breaker is supposed to be. It's hard to get a read on what's going on in that panel with your legend on the door not matching what is in the panel.
Sponsored