• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

do i need bigger battery upgrade if only using 1 or twice a year of long road trips?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Haven't used it much so I had to go check the amps again.

On 240volts
Maximum is 7 kw which is 30 amps
Reduced is 6.3 kw or 26 amps
Minimum is 4.3kw or 18 amps

Can be used easily on a Nema 14-30 plug at the minimum setting

You can also set it for 120 volts but then the amps are getting really low. I think the % reduction is the same.

My charger has adjustable amps which is why I don't use the car setting much.
The Bolt also has an option for 8A or 12A on Level 1 but no option for restricting charge on Level 2.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think the Pro is a fine choice for anyone on a strict budget.
Is argue that anyone buying a new vehicle, especially a $40k new vehicle isn't really on a 'strict' budget.

If I buy the lightning I will ensure that I have plenty of leeway in by budget to make the payment and still have plenty left over for other life needs and emergencies. That said, having enough money to buy a $60k vehicle (or even a more expensive one) doesn't mean that I shouldn't value $20k. And shouldn't feel like I am getting a value for my money in any purchase I make. Personally, I'm not sure that I find the value in the price needed to get to the extended battery.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
And if Ford won't replace the battery 15 years down the road, third parties certainly will. These large battery packs are made of multiple modules and each module contains the individual cells. It is designed to be able to replace the modules without having to replace the entire pack.
They're not modular for replacement's sake. It is for manufacturing. People have attempted to replace individual modules in the Tesla battery and the BMS eventually throws an error as the replacement module has a different capacity that it can't balance out.

Based on the cost of replacement batteries for a Tesla and their incompatibility among cars, I would not bank on being able to replace one with another. Ford could be different, but I would not hold my breath.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
They're not modular for replacement's sake. It is for manufacturing. People have attempted to replace individual modules in the Tesla battery and the BMS eventually throws an error as the replacement module has a different capacity that it can't balance out.

Based on the cost of replacement batteries for a Tesla and their incompatibility among cars, I would not bank on being able to replace one with another. Ford could be different, but I would not hold my breath.
I don't believe this to be correct. The Tesla module design is much different from what GM, Ford and others are using. Everything I have read or heard states that the modular design also is for service/replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
playjack

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
And if Ford won't replace the battery 15 years down the road, third parties certainly will. These large battery packs are made of multiple modules and each module contains the individual cells. It is designed to be able to replace the modules without having to replace the entire pack.
with EV not bringing enough repairs business because there isn't a lot of things to break, ford dealers, i am sure will put pressure on Ford co. to find a way to help garner enough business out of the new EV market condition. battery replacement could be one (?)

Sponsored
OP
OP
playjack

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
Tesla will let you select what charge current you want to use. A lot of people won't be able to do the full 80A, but if they could charge at 60A, it is still above what any other charger will do while not requiring a service upgrade from 100A if it isn't done with a permit. If a permit is pulled, it is doubtful even a 40A charger would be able to meet the demand requirements on a 100A service.

Dialing back on the charger is better as then it doesn't matter what gets plugged in, it won't exceed that current. I wouldnt say it is "waste" as the 80A charger is "free" with the ER battery as opposed to buying a separate one.
another thing to consider that is related to max amps on ER options, my townhouse complex does not have a huge transformer that feeds the entire complex. in fact, our council has come up with a rule to mandatory install a load limiter on all EV owners to control amps draw. you cannot even use a dryer, oven when charging! i would expect some houses that are older are in similar situation.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
with EV not bringing enough repairs business because there isn't a lot of things to break, ford dealers, i am sure will put pressure on Ford co. to find a way to help garner enough business out of the new EV market condition. battery replacement could be one (?)
With an 8 year warranty, it's going to be a while till they can bank on anything other than warranty revenue for battery replacement. Even after that it's probably going to be 15 years or more till these vehicles need batteries replaced in any volume.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
With an 8 year warranty, it's going to be a while till they can bank on anything other than warranty revenue for battery replacement. Even after that it's probably going to be 15 years or more till these vehicles need batteries replaced in any volume.
What data are you basing this claim on?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
What data are you basing this claim on?
Tesla has released data that shows S and X batteries to degrade on average 10-15% over 200k miles. I wouldn't think that is enough to require replacement. Even if they had 30% loss, it would be plenty of range left for day to day for most people.

Hopefully the Fords will show similar numbers for degradation, nobody really knows, but hopefully their battery management is as good as Tesla if not better.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Tesla has released data that shows S and X batteries to degrade on average 10-15% over 200k miles. I wouldn't think that is enough to require replacement. Even if they had 30% loss, it would be plenty of range left for day to day for most people.

Hopefully the Fords will show similar numbers for degradation, nobody really knows, but hopefully their battery management is as good as Tesla if not better.
I was reading that TeslaBjorn in Norway had a 11% reduction over 165,000 miles on his 2013 Model S (lots of supercharger use, and generally cooler temperatures in Norway), and someone commented on that article that they had a 9% reduction over 175,000 miles on their 2015 Model S.

Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
I was reading that TeslaBjorn in Norway had a 11% reduction over 165,000 miles on his 2013 Model S (lots of supercharger use, and generally cooler temperatures in Norway), and someone commented on that article that they had a 9% reduction over 175,000 miles on their 2015 Model S.
Found an interesting site which allows you to select your EV/Hybrid car maker and evaluate their battery cooling and management over all vehicles or model years. I'm not sure what data source drives the tool. Especially since my 2013 Ford Focus Electric is not even in the dataset.

https://www.geotab.com/fleet-management-solutions/ev-battery-degradation-tool/

Last edited:
OP
OP
playjack

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
yikes! not a good time to be an owner of car dealership.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
yikes! not a good time to be an owner of car dealership.
That's why more and more small and medium dealership companies are being acquired by bigger dealership groups.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
That's why more and more small and medium dealership companies are being acquired by bigger dealership groups.
Also why Car Dealer Lobbies are fighting hard to require vehicle sales to go through Dealerships and not direct to consumer (like what Tesla is doing). Tesla just built a showroom on Native American land to circumvent one of these laws...

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-new-mexico-nambe-pueblo-tribal-land-direct-sales-ban-2021-9

This has little to do with what is best for the consumer and more to do with saving that part of the automobile industry and its jobs, IMO.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
It's an even bigger decision when going from a Pro to an XLT ER. That's $20k.....I could buy a maverick for that.
Yeah, I could buy a Pro SR and a new MINI Cooper SE and have two new EVs for barely more than an XLT ER.

The bigger battery would be nice, but I doubt I can justify it for how much more it costs.
Sponsored