• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

do i need bigger battery upgrade if only using 1 or twice a year of long road trips?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm buying the extended range for the extra HP and torque and, to lesser degree, resale value. I already have a Chevy Bolt. It's not hard to manage the range with normal driving. I rarely take extended road trips beyond a few hundred miles but the extra time spent charging if it's only once a year, or less, really isn't worth $7000 for me. If I was driving 500+ miles every weekend I wouldn't buy an EV in the first place.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm buying the extended range for the extra HP and torque and, to lesser degree, resale value. I already have a Chevy Bolt. It's not hard to manage the range with normal driving. I rarely take extended road trips beyond a few hundred miles but the extra time spent charging if it's only once a year, or less, really isn't worth $7000 for me. If I was driving 500+ miles every weekend I wouldn't buy an EV in the first place.
It's an even bigger decision when going from a Pro to an XLT ER. That's $20k.....I could buy a maverick for that.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
While driving my current EV, there has never been a time I have said to myself "I sure am glad I dont have all that extra range - what a waste."

There is no substitute for range!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
While driving my current EV, there has never been a time I have said to myself "I sure am glad I dont have all that extra range - what a waste."

There is no substitute for range!
The question is not what you thought. It's whether you actually made use of that extra range. If you only drive around town and never exceed 100 miles in a day, then 300+ miles of range is definitely a waste. It's a waste because of extra cost of the bigger battery. It's a waste of energy, because hauling of the extra weight of the battery. It's a waste of resources, because most car makers are limited by the overall battery build capacity.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
hmmm, by your logic all cars are a waste. Everyone could get by with a 10 mile battery or a 20 hp ICE engine with a 1 gallon gas tank.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hmmm, by your logic all cars are a waste. Everyone could get by with a 10 mile battery or a 20 hp ICE engine with a 1 gallon gas tank.
If you don't drive at all, sure, but then any car is a waste. Look, if yo normally drive 30 miles a day, and occasionally drive about 100 miles in a single day, having a battery that gives you 300+ miles range rather than 200, really is wasteful. This assumes you can charge overnight at home. For those who think that range is all important, try this theoretical example: A car the size of Winnebago with 4 seats, 1,000 mile range and $500,000 price. Is this a waste?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
If you don't drive at all, sure, but then any car is a waste. Look, if yo normally drive 30 miles a day, and occasionally drive about 100 miles in a single day, having a battery that gives you 300+ miles range rather than 200, really is wasteful. This assumes you can charge overnight at home. For those who think that range is all important, try this theoretical example: A car the size of Winnebago with 4 seats, 1,000 mile range and $500,000 price. Is this a waste?
There is one big advantage of having a bigger battery other than the range. Less battery charging = less cycles on the battery = less battery degradation.
Plus with the ER battery you get 25% more HP and faster charging speeds which is quite significant.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is one big advantage of having a bigger battery other than the range. Less battery charging = less cycles on the battery = less battery degradation.
Plus with the ER battery you get 25% more HP and faster charging speeds which is quite significant.
Sure, there are advantages to bigger battery. And if those advantages are important, then by all means. If you're going to tow, bigger battery helps. If you are going to go on frequent long trips, you should get the bigger battery.

Your point about battery degradation is a bit overstated. If the Pro trim is what you are satisfied with and you are not a fleet customer, the bigger battery will cost you $20K. that's 50% more, or $200+ per month over 8 years (are you planning to keep it longer?). Are you really expecting $20K worth of degradation?

Same with charging speed. DC charging speed does help on long trips. But after you've driven 100 miles around town in a day, even the mobile 32A charger will be enough to replenish your SOC to 100%. Besides, to take full advantage of 80A charging speed, you're going to need to install a 100A circuit. That's 50% of what a typical new home has. For older most homes, a 100A circuit will require a significant upgrade.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
If you're comparing the pro to an xlt er then yes it is not worth it, though that $20k difference is a lot more than just a bigger battery.
I am in Canada where the Pro is not even available.
I am talking the difference if you're already thinking of getting an xlt or lariat, then the ER battery is only approx $7k more and includes the charger as well. I'm guessing that it is possible to install the charger on a lower breaker and just dial back the max charge current on the truck, but no one would know that until more info comes out.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you're comparing the pro to an xlt er then yes it is not worth it, though that $20k difference is a lot more than just a bigger battery.
I am in Canada where the Pro is not even available.
I am talking the difference if you're already thinking of getting an xlt or lariat, then the ER battery is only approx $7k more and includes the charger as well. I'm guessing that it is possible to install the charger on a lower breaker and just dial back the max charge current on the truck, but no one would know that until more info comes out.
So far as I know, no EV on the market today allows you to "just dial back the max charge current". You need to do that on the charger. Even so, if you are charging at a lower rate, then the advantage of faster charging disappears.

Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Tesla will let you select what charge current you want to use. A lot of people won't be able to do the full 80A, but if they could charge at 60A, it is still above what any other charger will do while not requiring a service upgrade from 100A if it isn't done with a permit. If a permit is pulled, it is doubtful even a 40A charger would be able to meet the demand requirements on a 100A service.

Dialing back on the charger is better as then it doesn't matter what gets plugged in, it won't exceed that current. I wouldnt say it is "waste" as the 80A charger is "free" with the ER battery as opposed to buying a separate one.

Last edited:

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
So far as I know, no EV on the market today allows you to "just dial back the max charge current". You need to do that on the charger. Even so, if you are charging at a lower rate, then the advantage of faster charging disappears.

Hyundai Kona Electric also allows you to turn down current accepted from the car.
It has a high medium and low setting.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona Electric also allows you to turn down current accepted from the car.
It has a high medium and low setting.
I wasn't aware of it, but how does high/low/med translate into amperes?

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
I wasn't aware of it, but how does high/low/med translate into amperes?
Haven't used it much so I had to go check the amps again.

On 240volts
Maximum is 7 kw which is 30 amps
Reduced is 6.3 kw or 26 amps
Minimum is 4.3kw or 18 amps

Can be used easily on a Nema 14-30 plug at the minimum setting

You can also set it for 120 volts but then the amps are getting really low. I think the % reduction is the same.

My charger has adjustable amps which is why I don't use the car setting much.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It's an even bigger decision when going from a Pro to an XLT ER. That's $20k.....I could buy a maverick for that.
I think the Pro is a fine choice for anyone on a strict budget.
Sponsored