• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

do i need bigger battery upgrade if only using 1 or twice a year of long road trips?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I meant 0.1% conversion of the 1mil ICE f-series sold in a year which is 10k units. 0.1% would be an extremely small amount of people going to electric, it is probably more like 1%.
Reservations are one thing, but once they start showing up on the streets and people see them, Ford won't be able to make enough for MANY years to come.
EDIT: sorry meant 1% to begin with and could convert alot more not including new people. ? it has been a long week
Just because they arent starting deliveries until spring 2022 doesn't mean they arent producing some a few weeks before and releasing a lot all at once. There are already pre-production trucks leaving the plant so unless they hit a huge snag they will either be on time or early for deliveries.
Darren palmer (Ford EV GM) also said in the podcast that he did that they are prioritizing the EV manufacturing and the chip shortage doesn't affect them as much as they generally use more "high-tech" chips which are not the ones they have issues with - they have issues with the cheap low-tech chips right now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I meant 0.1% conversion of the 1mil ICE f-series sold in a year which is 10k units. 0.1% would be an extremely small amount of people going to electric, it is probably more like 1%.
Reservations are one thing, but once they start showing up on the streets and people see them, Ford won't be able to make enough for MANY years to come.

Just because they arent starting deliveries until spring 2022 doesn't mean they arent producing some a few weeks before and releasing a lot all at once. There are already pre-production trucks leaving the plant so unless they hit a huge snag they will either be on time or early for deliveries.
Darren palmer (Ford EV GM) also said in the podcast that he did that they are prioritizing the EV manufacturing and the chip shortage doesn't affect them as much as they generally use more "high-tech" chips which are not the ones they have issues with - they have issues with the cheap low-tech chips right now.
I agree. If Ford could produce them, they could easily sell 100,000 Lightnings NOW.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I know I'm in the minority, but with a little bit of work(and internet research) you can use the dealer model to pit dealer vs dealer for the best price due to competition. Without dealers everyone will get the pleasure of paying full msrp...all the time.

TBH, I don't know why people think that getting rid of dealers is such a great thing. I guess I can understand less stress, but 90% of us are going to pay more than we would with the dealer sales model.

Taking out a link in the supply chain will absolutely lower the cost to the consumer. Think of al the cost associated with operating a dealership plus the profits the dealer needs to continue operating? You're the one paying for all of that. The dealer model is outdated and won't exist in 20 years.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I am planning on getting a platinum so ER battery - want the extra power too!
The 15k is a number that was thrown out there, but nothing has come from ford so it could be a lot more than that. I can't see someone at Ford initially thinking 7500/year was enough production capacity when they sell 1mil f series per year. Even at a 0.1% convert to electric it would be more than that.
I am on that reservation thread - I reserved about 25 mins after opening.

Plus the Cybertruck already had ~1M reservations. It's not like Ford didn't know there was massive demand for an EV truck.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
They're not modular for replacement's sake. It is for manufacturing. People have attempted to replace individual modules in the Tesla battery and the BMS eventually throws an error as the replacement module has a different capacity that it can't balance out.
Thankfully most of this is incorrect. Modules are replaceable and can be balanced. Currently,with the Mach E battery , if a module shows an error they are most likely being replaced as an assembly. The batteries are then being shipped in for repairs. This has more to do with the engineers wanting to see the types of failures so they can make changes in design.
Two months ago I attended Ford EV battery repair class. It is required for all EV techs to be certified. All Certified dealers have purchased the necessary equipment to perform individual module replacements.

Sponsored

Tomf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Construction Operations
Thankfully most of this is incorrect. Modules are replaceable and can be balanced. Currently,with the Mach E battery , if a module shows an error they are most likely being replaced as an assembly. The batteries are then being shipped in for repairs. This has more to do with the engineers wanting to see the types of failures so they can make changes in design.
Two months ago I attended Ford EV battery repair class. It is required for all EV techs to be certified. All Certified dealers have purchased the necessary equipment to perform individual module replacements.
At the event the Ford person was very confident they are planning for the battery components to be serviceable inside the pack and the battery easy to drop out.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
At the event the Ford person was very confident they are planning for the battery components to be serviceable inside the pack and the battery easy to drop out.
He was 100% correct. The time and energy invested in this vehicle hopefully pays off for us(consumers). Ford does not need a repeat of recent new model release problems(2020 Explorer).
Sponsored