Sponsored

Do I need 20" wheels to get the maximum tow rating?

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
The Lariat Sport package comes with 18" wheel. I'm also getting the Max Tow Package. Do I need to upgrade to 20" wheels to get the maximum tow rating?
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
From the 2021 Order Guide the only 18" wheels not allowed are the 18" chrome-like PVD wheels.

I know the 2020 Order Guide did list this note: NOTE: Max GCWR/Max Tow only achieved on SuperCrew® equipped with 20” Wheels. These trucks will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear and upgraded stabilizer bar for this configuration.

But that note is not in the 2021 Order Guide, so I hope/believe that 18" wheels (other than the chrome-like PVD style) are allowed and will still get the max rating.

Here is the text from the 2021 Order Guide:

MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE (53C)
Usage: Max towing capability TBD.
Availability:
• Optional on XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch® and Platinum
Not available with:
• 17" silver steel (64C)
• 17" silver painted aluminum wheels (64F)
• 18” chrome-like PVD wheels (64T)
• 2.7L GTDI Engine (99P)
• 3.3L V6 Engine (99B)
Requires:
• 3.5L EcoBoost® Engine (998)
• 5.0L V8 Engine (995)
•3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine (99D)
• 3.0L Diesel Engine (991)
• Heavy-Duty Payload Package (627) on XL
Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle (axle is changed to 3.73 Electronic-locking differential if
ordered with Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg. (627))
• 7-pin wiring harness; includes 7-pin-to-4-pin adapter
• 36 Gallon Fuel tank (NA w/ 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 (99D) or 3.0L Diesel engine
(991))
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist (Not included on XL)
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – NA on XL (100A only); reqs. Tow Technology on XL (101A
only)
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (incl. BLIS® w/ Trailer Tow Coverage where is BLIS®
available)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded rear bumper
Optional Equipment
•Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 on XL (101A) (43A)
•Tow Technology Package (17T) (101A)
NOTE: Ordering the Max Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer
Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately. (Option Code:
54Y/59S (XL, XLT), or 54W (Lariat, King Ranch®, Platinum)

The note about requiring the 20" wheels on the 2020 came right after the last note above about the Trailer Tow Mirrors, but that note is absent in the 2021 Guide, thankfully.

But like everything, it is subject to change, as the note might be missing in error...and inserted at a later revision.

OP
OP

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
From the 2021 Order Guide the only 18" wheels not allowed are the 18" chrome-like PVD wheels.

I know the 2020 Order Guide did list this note: NOTE: Max GCWR/Max Tow only achieved on SuperCrew® equipped with 20” Wheels. These trucks will also come equipped with max springs, steering gear and upgraded stabilizer bar for this configuration.

But that note is not in the 2021 Order Guide, so I hope/believe that 18" wheels (other than the chrome-like PVD style) are allowed and will still get the max rating.
Thanks, Roger. I appreciate the info.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
The Lariat Sport package comes with 18" wheel. I'm also getting the Max Tow Package. Do I need to upgrade to 20" wheels to get the maximum tow rating?

Here is the text from the 2021 Order Guide:

MAX TRAILER TOW PACKAGE (53C)
Usage: Max towing capability TBD.
Availability:
• Optional on XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch® and Platinum
Not available with:
• 17" silver steel (64C)
• 17" silver painted aluminum wheels (64F)
• 18” chrome-like PVD wheels (64T)
• 2.7L GTDI Engine (99P)
• 3.3L V6 Engine (99B)
Requires:
• 3.5L EcoBoost® Engine (998)
• 5.0L V8 Engine (995)
•3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine (99D)
• 3.0L Diesel Engine (991)
• Heavy-Duty Payload Package (627) on XL
Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle (axle is changed to 3.73 Electronic-locking differential if
ordered with Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg. (627))
• 7-pin wiring harness; includes 7-pin-to-4-pin adapter
• 36 Gallon Fuel tank (NA w/ 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 (99D) or 3.0L Diesel engine
(991))
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist (Not included on XL)
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – NA on XL (100A only); reqs. Tow Technology on XL (101A
only)
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (incl. BLIS® w/ Trailer Tow Coverage where is BLIS®
available)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded rear bumper
Optional Equipment
•Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 on XL (101A) (43A)
•Tow Technology Package (17T) (101A)
NOTE: Ordering the Max Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer
Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately. (Option Code:
54Y/59S (XL, XLT), or 54W (Lariat, King Ranch®, Platinum)

The note about requiring the 20" wheels on the 2020 came right after the last note above about the Trailer Tow Mirrors, but that note is absent in the 2021 Guide, thankfully.

But like everything, it is subject to change, as the note might be missing in error...and inserted at a later revision.
Correct: I ordered a King Ranch Power Boost Max Tow, and it is on 18 inch wheels (which are lighter than 20”, preserving payload....

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Correct: I ordered a King Ranch Power Boost Max Tow, and it is on 18 inch wheels (which are lighter than 20”, preserving payload....
Thats interesting, I was trying to do a build with a dealer last week on xlt screw and when we added max tow he was saying it was forcing the 20s

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Thats interesting, I was trying to do a build with a dealer last week on xlt screw and when we added max tow he was saying it was forcing the 20s
I would often. Wonder why my 2013 f250 had 18s and some had 20s. I started looking around and found out the trucks that had the 20s had more payload. So it has something to do with side wall of the tire maybe?
Sponsored