Sponsored

Do 4x4 trucks really have a better resale value than 4x2 trucks?

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
I have heard that 4x4 trucks have better retainment value. I also heard that 4x4 cost more than 4x2, so they end up having about the same value. Lastly, I hear that 4x4 trucks cost more but they retain a higher percentage of their original costs.
Sponsored

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted
I have heard that 4x4 trucks have better retainment value. I also heard that 4x4 cost more than 4x2, so they end up having about the same value. Lastly, I hear that 4x4 trucks cost more but they retain a higher percentage of their original costs.
Do they have better resale? Absolutely. Is the resale difference bigger than the up front cost? Probably not. Is it worth getting anyway? For me, absolutely. For you? Only you know.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I have actually researched this to a large degree just a few years back.

I really don't need a 4X4 here in the SE and what I use my truck for. For many years I always just ordered 2 WD trucks with limited slip. Really all I need, but I noticed when I traded in to the dealer he would say, I wish is was a 4X4.

That made me check black book resale values, comparing the two different drives. The 4X4 option was usually about $3,300 MSRP. I checked for past 6 years in the black book values.

First year actually yielded slightly more than actual cost for it was a $3500 add on. Second year was about what MSRP was, which most get a discount when purchasing a new vehicle so still more than what you actually paid for the option.

It took 3 years before the add on value actually dropped below $3,300. It would drop a little bit more for each year after that. I looked it up it, of course that many years back the MSRP was also less.

From my research you get all and in some cases more than you paid for that options for many years down the road. Plus a 4X4 is usually easier to sell used, for they have a higher demand.

I'm sure it could vary in different regions but for my area it's a good value and would think many more. Places with a snowy season I would think would be a given.

Kelly Blue Book is also a good source for car values, trade-in and private seller.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Here's one point of reference:

My 2017 XLT 4x2 had MSRP on window sticker of $50k, and 4x4 was a $3500 adder at the time. That is 7% adder.

If I enter everything in KBB for private party sale, I get $30.6k. If I check the 4x4 box it adds $2.3k. That is 7.5%.

At purchase time I did not pay $50k obviously, there were rebates, incentives, and negotiation and I paid about $42.5. So $3500 was a higher percent of that. BUT I remember the 4x4's on the lot had higher rebates, so it probably scaled.

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Thanks for the replies guys. They have been very helpful. I'm plan on starting a leasing thread but I might well ask while I have your attention. I have had my current truck for 3 years and only have 15k miles on it. Mainly because everything including work is less than a 10 mile commute. Many have suggested that I lease since I like getting something new every two to three years and I am satisfied with factory stock. If I lease, will 4x4 have an impact on things like payment, residential value and other things. How big of a difference will it make if so. Thanks guys

Sponsored

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Thanks for the replies guys. They have been very helpful. I'm plan on starting a leasing thread but I might well ask while I have your attention. I have had my current truck for 3 years and only have 15k miles on it. Mainly because everything including work is less than a 10 mile commute. Many have suggested that I lease since I like getting something new every two to three years and I am satisfied with factory stock. If I lease, will 4x4 have an impact on things like payment, residential value and other things. How big of a difference will it make if so. Thanks guys
Consider not just the cost/resale value but also that you're buying a fundamentally different vehicle if it's 4x2 vs 4x4. They won't drive the same, they don't weigh the same, and the 4x4 is higher off the ground than the 4x2. For my use, 4x2 wins on those factors, but like others have said everyone (and their need/want) is different.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I could not say for I have never leased a vehicle. Sorry

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Consider not just the cost/resale value but also that you're buying a fundamentally different vehicle if it's 4x2 vs 4x4. They won't drive the same, they don't weigh the same, and the 4x4 is higher off the ground than the 4x2. For my use, 4x2 wins on those factors, but like others have said everyone (and their need/want) is different.
Good point as parents on both sides do struggle to get in out of vehicles this size.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Good point as parents on both sides do struggle to get in out of vehicles this size.
Make sure you have auto deploying running boards. They are perfect for aiding easier entry and exit. The fixed boards are not as easy to get in and out of for older folks.

That is true for 4X2 and 4X4

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Make sure you have auto deploying running boards. They are perfect for aiding easier entry and exit. The fixed boards are not as easy to get in and out of for older folks.
You read my mind, was just thinking about that

Sponsored

ellnemm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Z4M roadster, 2019 Jetta, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
First let me say I’m in retail order purgatory for a 2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4 ordered on Oct 05, no VIN as of this date.
We recently sold our 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x2 to purchase our new truck. Of the hundreds of trucks for sale of this exact same model only 2 were 4x2 (RWD) vehicles. We had very few interested parties for the RWD configuration. Of the inquiries we did receive there were the ones that did not read the Autotrader add and asked “is it 4 wheel drive?”. I have to say we did sell the truck for what we expected, $7500 more than the dealer offered for trade in.
When we purchased the the Ram we had to retail order it and waited several months to get the truck due to the RWD request. At the time the Ram dealer said that if wanted a 4x4 we could have it the next day.
I believe it is easier to sell and retain a higher resale value for a 4x4.

Last edited:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Seven or 8 years ago you could easily find plenty of 2WD trucks at Ford Dealerships in NC. Now you can visit any dealership in the state and they may 200 trucks and only 2 or 3 are 2WD and chances are they are XL work trucks. I've lived in NC for over 40 years and I have never needed a 4WD to get to work in any weather condition. For me it's kind of a waste of money on the additional $3400 and lower MPG.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Seven or 8 years ago you could easily find plenty of 2WD trucks at Ford Dealerships in NC. Now you can visit any dealership in the state and they may 200 trucks and only 2 or 3 are 2WD and chances are they are XL work trucks. I've lived in NC for over 40 years and I have never needed a 4WD to get to work in any weather condition. For me it's kind of a waste of money on the additional $3400 and lower MPG.
True that!

Though I have used my 4X4 a couple of times launching my boat on a steep slick ramp but I feel the limited slip would have worked also, just didn't want to take a chance.

About every 2 or 3 years we get a little bit of snow and they freak out here in the SE when that happens. I've lived in Alaska, so I don't freak but we don't have any of the road equipment the North has.

The good thing though, the MPG differences is down to like 1 or 2 MPG max.
Sponsored