First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Powerstroke
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Out of curiosity... who has done a DYI full wrap on their entire truck in a different color or PPF? If you did, please post pictures and where you got your materials from.

I am considering wrapping my brand new-to-me truck to protect the paint once it arrives. I am debating on a subtle black textured wrap similar to forged carbon fiber but darker (don't need it to be crazy) - or navy / midnight blue like Ford's antimatter blue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
Wrap films

Its not my market but I know of it. Its a lot of work, less work if you have the knowledge and/or aren't alone. I've watched teams do wraps at trade shows many times. If I was to wrap anything it would be a cybertruck :LOL:

I've thought of the idea since I'm able to buy the rolls of wrap material at cost but eh... maybe get my feet wet and do the hood or something.

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
Wrap films

Its not my market but I know of it. Its a lot of work, less work if you have the knowledge and/or aren't alone. I've watched teams do wraps at trade shows many times. If I was to wrap anything it would be a cybertruck :LOL:

I've thought of the idea since I'm able to buy the rolls of wrap material at cost but eh... maybe get my feet wet and do the hood or something.
Right. I figured if I am willing to be patient during the process, I think I'll be able to do it. Where do you buy your wraps at cost from? I'm assuming you get it through your business, or something?

Might consider buying it through you to keep the cost low, if you don't mind?

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
Right. I figured if I am willing to be patient during the process, I think I'll be able to do it. Where do you buy your wraps at cost from? I'm assuming you get it through your business, or something?

Might consider buying it through you to keep the cost low, if you don't mind?
I got an account with JDS supply and they stock the Avery Dennison stuff. 25yd rolls and I guess you need about 20 yards to do a whole truck according to google.

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
I got an account with JDS supply and they stock the Avery Dennison stuff. 25yd rolls and I guess you need about 20 yards to do a whole truck according to google.
Gotcha - this company? https://jsdsupply.com/

I would need extra in case for mistakes.

Sponsored

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Out of curiosity... who has done a DYI full wrap on their entire truck in a different color or PPF? If you did, please post pictures and where you got your materials from.

I am considering wrapping my brand new-to-me truck to protect the paint once it arrives. I am debating on a subtle black textured wrap similar to forged carbon fiber but darker (don't need it to be crazy) - or navy / midnight blue like Ford's antimatter blue.
IMO wrapping a vehicle is extremely expensive and isnt for the average DIYer. You have to have a really clean envoirment due to dust,lint,and dirt etc. You have to have a heat source to get it around curves and edges. IF I were to do anything,I'd have clear PPF put on hood and maybe front edges of front fenders as thay are the most vunerable part of a vehicle as far as road debris are concerned. This is only my personal opinion not the views of this site. LOL

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
IMO wrapping a vehicle is extremely expensive and isnt for the average DIYer. You have to have a really clean envoirment due to dust,lint,and dirt etc. You have to have a heat source to get it around curves and edges. IF I were to do anything,I'd have clear PPF put on hood and maybe front edges of front fenders as thay are the most vunerable part of a vehicle as far as road debris are concerned. This is only my personal opinion not the views of this site. LOL
Either way, it's going to be expensive whether you take it to the shop or do it yourself (film + supplies). Plus I have somewhat experience working with films (from window tinting) so that's why I want to give it a crack. Gotta start somewhere. Of course, I will be practicing it on a hood or something before I start on my truck.

I know PPF on the front end is at least $2000 for my truck in my town. I had one of the shops put PPF on the front end of my 2019 Range Rover Sport (I think it was $2700 total)... they did a very good job but there are a couple areas they missed that I was surprised.

Powerboost22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost
Either way, it's going to be expensive whether you take it to the shop or do it yourself (film + supplies). Plus I have somewhat experience working with films (from window tinting) so that's why I want to give it a crack. Gotta start somewhere. Of course, I will be practicing it on a hood or something before I start on my truck.

I know PPF on the front end is at least $2000 for my truck in my town. I had one of the shops put PPF on the front end of my 2019 Range Rover Sport (I think it was $2700 total)... they did a very good job but there are a couple areas they missed that I was surprised.
$600 to wrap the front of my powerboost with Suntek PPF, would of been another $600 to do full hood also but ended up just doing a hood deflector this time for $100. Been working out good through the first 10k miles. New York prices

Sponsored

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
$600 to wrap the front of my powerboost with Suntek PPF, would of been another $600 to do full hood also but ended up just doing a hood deflector this time for $100. Been working out good through the first 10k miles. New York prices
Gotcha. Are you in rural NY? I would think for downtown NY, that price would be higher than that for the shop to install.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I've tried wrapping a vehicle several times, bought a huge roll of it about ten year ago when prices were much more reasonable. It's not nearly as easy as window tint, getting around corners, edges, getting seams to look right (need 3 line knife-less tape) etc.

Most importantly, I don't think it will give you the type of protection you want. Colored vinyl wrap is no where near as thick as clear PPF. I've also heard the F150 hood is one of the harder panels to wrap.

My paint protection is spray on, and it's a combination of clear and white to create the two-tone. Every thing below the window line is coated. It's a product called Halo EFX and you can get it in dozens of colors with different effects. You can get paint protection and color change in one product with it, which is not something you can really do with vinyl wrap.

Is putting on paint protection with an HVLP easier to DIY than a wrap? I guess that depends on your skillset. I have an inflatable paint booth and a turbine HVLP where I've painted a few hobby cars, so for me it was.

Obviously either product can be installed professionally, but you asked about DIY so this was my experience.

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
I've tried wrapping a vehicle several times, bought a huge roll of it about ten year ago when prices were much more reasonable. It's not nearly as easy as window tint, getting around corners, edges, getting seams to look right (need 3 line knife-less tape) etc.

Most importantly, I don't think it will give you the type of protection you want. Colored vinyl wrap is no where near as thick as clear PPF. I've also heard the F150 hood is one of the harder panels to wrap.

My paint protection is spray on, and it's a combination of clear and white to create the two-tone. Every thing below the window line is coated. It's a product called Halo EFX and you can get it in dozens of colors with different effects. You can get paint protection and color change in one product with it, which is not something you can really do with vinyl wrap.

Is putting on paint protection with an HVLP easier to DIY than a wrap? I guess that depends on your skillset. I have an inflatable paint booth and a turbine HVLP where I've painted a few hobby cars, so for me it was.

Obviously either product can be installed professionally, but you asked about DIY so this was my experience.
I knew it would be harder than window tinting because of the curvature, corners, sharp edges, etc - like you said. The reason why I am looking at colored wrap is because I want to change the color of my truck. I remember hearing about infused-colored PPF wrap - like this website, www.gswf.com. I am checking into them... their film is at least 7.5 mil, which should be more than ample enough to protect the truck.

Speaking of Halo EFX, I am actually familiar and have experience with PlastiDip - which they are very similar. This would be easier to hit those corners, edges, etc. But never done a full vehicle. Sounds like you were to do peel-able paint over wrapping? Do you know the thickness you could get out of Halo/PlastiDip for a full vehicle?

Personally, I love working on my vehicles and of course, I've had my frustrations/moments - but I do not let it stop my passion working on them.

I haven't modded a vehicle in a LONG time (other than upgrading wheels/tires) so I am looking forward to it with my truck.

-DK

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I had plastic-dipped a few cars before taking on the Halo. it's a similar product, but it's vinyl based instead of rubber, and you can put real clear coat over it, for a factory gloss. I'm not sure about the mils of thickness, but my guess would be close to 5. I put on six coats of Halo followed by 3 coats of Sherwin Williams clear.

It's a bit of a long video with too much rambling, but I did a torture test of Xpel versus Halo here:

OP
OP
motivology

motivology

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor / Entrepreneur
I had plastic-dipped a few cars before taking on the Halo. it's a similar product, but it's vinyl based instead of rubber, and you can put real clear coat over it, for a factory gloss. I'm not sure about the mils of thickness, but my guess would be close to 5. I put on six coats of Halo followed by 3 coats of Sherwin Williams clear.

It's a bit of a long video with too much rambling, but I did a torture test of Xpel versus Halo here:

For sure, good to know the difference between the two. Don't you have to be an approved vendor in order to get Halo products? I've lost touch in the peelable-paint world.

Thanks! I'll check the video out when I have time.

-DK
Sponsored