First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
My apologies in advance for heading off-topic with this.

You speak of trailer + ebikes + cargo + BAK 4s + ladder rack + kayaks.

What is your truck's payload, and how are you not exceeding it?

Do you have a XL with HDPP?

Maybe some of this could be shifted to the trailer? Say the cargo inside and a bike at the rear?
A legitimate concern, but you must be assuming I tow a much bigger rig than I do. With a 1647 lb. payload and <400 lb. tongue weight, the PB will have no problem carrying my toys. Heck, before the PB, my 4Runner traveled 10s of thousands of miles in toy hauler mode.

Thanks for asking.

Ford F-150 DIY In-Bed Mountain Bike Mount IMG_6506

Ford F-150 DIY In-Bed Mountain Bike Mount IMG_4886
Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Only 2,000 miles on my '23 XLT 302A 3.5L EB 157wb . Still absolutely loving it. Outstanding truck.

With mountain biking season upon us, I had been looking for the right solution to transport our bikes to the trails. I really didn't want an above-bed mount, or a trailer-hitch mount, because I'd like to be able to keep my rig in the garage with the bikes loaded, ready for our early morning departures. Plus, it just seems like I should be able to use the bed of my truck. Side note: @Ford Motor Company should offer an integrated rail system in the front of the bed! Would be so useful for so many things.

I wasn't looking for a cheap solution, just looking for the right solution. That said, it is very nice to save hundreds of dollars.

I decided to find a way to use the boxlink brackets for carrying the bikes. There are a few posts out there where people mention something similar, but all are short on details, so I thought I would share my solution with the community. Nothing special, but it's perfect. Very solid (no movement), inexpensive, easy on/off and easy storage.

IMG_4618.JPG

1. Get some E-track 2x4 sockets to fit into the boxlink plates. These fit loose in the boxlink plates, but are secure. You will want to find something to wrap around / wedge behind the back of the socket so they aren't so loose. I tried a few different ideas, but landed on wrapping a bungee cord around the sock (wrap it behind the socket). This made the sockets fit very snug with zero play. I was hoping for a more eloquent solution, but this gets the job done and is very easy on/off. That said, I would love to hear anything that other people may have had success with.

I got mine for $18 for 4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVRGPGQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

71lNhvuTUBL._AC_SX679_.jpg

2. Get a couple fork mounts for your bikes. These are perfect, $20 each: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VVRGPGQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
612+lkxRcLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

3. Cut a 2 x 4 to length to fit into the sockets. Attach the fork mounts to the 2x4, ensuring your handle bars won't interfere with each other when mounted. Our bikes have wide handle bars, and I attached my fork mounts 14" from the ends of the 2x4 and have roughly 3" space between the handle bars when mounted.

I painted the 2x4 black.

Side note: You can see in this photo that I cut a relief notch at the top of each end of the 2x4. The sidewall of the truck bed has some contours that interfere with easily dropping the 2x4 into the sockets, and this notch makes it super quick and easy to insert the 2x4 into the sockets.
IMG_4606.JPG

4. A bonus on this set-up is there is space between the front of the bed and the 2x4 where you can store the front bike wheels, leaned up against the 2x4 with only the tire contacting the 2x4. I used mini bungees around the 2x4 to secure the wheels, and they hold secure, zero play. You can see this in the photos below.

5. In an odd stroke of luck, my 15 ft bike lock cable is the perfect length to thread both bikes + wheels and lock to a bed tie-down. I wouldn't leave it like this overnight, but it's perfect to prevent theft when running into the gas station or grabbing lunch.

The full solution cost about $70 ($17 sockets + $40 fork mounts + $6 2x4 + $8 stainless hardware). The bikes are held stable, no movement or shifting, even when going over rough terrain. The bike mount is very easy to take on and off. When removed, it is super simple to store, just lean the 2x4 against the wall in the corner of the garage. And best of all, I can park in the garage with the bikes loaded.

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

Another bonus, when ski season arrives, I will add a second 2x4 to the rear boxlink plates, then install removable dowels to create raised slots for the skis.

I hope this helps someone. And with that, you can expect some photos from Moab in a couple weeks!
Sweet!

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
A couple adds as I’ve been researching but haven’t found a good solution for my situation: transport 1 bike(either my 29er Stache or sons 20” bmx) for when my sons 85cc 2T dirtbike is in the bed and strapped to front tie downs:
1. Simplest solution, but my Rollup tonneau frame gets in way. If you don’t have a cover in your bed, this has to be the simplest solution: inno201, cheaper on eBay vs amazon https://a.co/d/c4YTkkw
2. Someone mentioned a front rail, Builtright makes one but not cheap. I have their Molle panels and are great quality. https://builtrightind.com/products/bulkhead-accessory-rail-kit-ford-f-150-raptor-2015

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Nice work. I do like the Rockymount F-150 track system though. That's what I ended up with.

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
Swagman makes a couple versions of this (Patrol, pickup) that pinch against the bedrails, it includes the mounts so don't save much DIY. I got the patrol verison as a warehouse deal on amazon for under $150 cdn. I have a retrax tonneau so I install it at the rear with just enough of the tonneau open and it fits into the tonneau rails, bikes are mounted facing rearward.

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi. Is the swagman fork mount? I could nt find a wheel mount other than ride88 which would interfere with MX dirt bike tie downs in front. Ride88 looks super nice tho.

lynskynbnd

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offcambercrawlers.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150, 1987 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Auto Tech
Ford F-150 DIY In-Bed Mountain Bike Mount 20230518_201511

2" X 6" lumber, stained black" with bolt on fork mounts. Simple and works great. Easy to put in and take out, and stores easily leaning on a wall.

This pic shows the build.
Ford F-150 DIY In-Bed Mountain Bike Mount 20220601_201537
Sponsored