First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
Hi Guys, new here but figured I’d share my latest little project so that I could secure groceries as well as 8’ lumber. This isn’t “done”, just a prototype made out of scraps I had around the shop. It’s all 3/4” ply.

I bought a bag of 6 bolts that fit into the (not so) threaded hole near the tailgate in the back of the truck on Amazon for $15. This lets me make a couple for the neighbors, or make other accessories that use those holes. After some rough measurements inside of my 5.5’ bed I determined that a divider could go roughly 20” in from the tailgate, any more and it interferes with the wheel tubs, and would make it difficult for my wife or kids to reach anything in the bed. I also measured from the front of the bed to a couple inches beyond the open tailgate to get to 8’ total length when extended.

The divider piece (the large panel with the handles) is going to get a bunch of holes cut into it for straps or bungees to tie to. I’m adding a small spacer between the arms and the bed side to make it less “floppy” side to side. When the divider is in place, it stiffens up the whole deal, but I want it more rigid when going from inside the bed to outside.

Because it’s a prototype it’s just pocket-hole screwed together. Glue/screw and paint in the final phase. It all fits nicely under the tonneau cover.

Take note, because the extender extends a couple inches past the tailgate that the panel sits on some additional pieces of wood, or it would fall to the ground.

Once I’m “done” with it I can share some more information because I may make some changes. This is already v2.

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender 5DA7E134-CC15-4BD8-AEC6-4B856C9E2B0E

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender 6D900731-B21B-4B4A-B081-D25F118F115C

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender 2F5215EA-BF0C-41E4-ABF3-3472754A0A05

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender AD38FFE3-D07B-40F3-8B29-3BF98E489717

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender BCE449FD-999F-4859-A456-D6257010D04E

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender 59F7ABF2-18E4-4E6E-9DE0-ABF8CA421B08

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender E0BB1B22-CC4C-462C-A4A7-478C528C8782
Sponsored

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
make sure you secure that end panel down somehow in the extended position, it could easily vibrate up and out of the slats and go flying

OP
OP
Jack_Toepfer

Jack_Toepfer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
Good call @cheesedogf150 - I have a couple holes that need drilling that will allow me to pin that in place. Currently, it can be strapped down. You’re 100% right, that would jump right out of there.

MedicalPhysicist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Hybrid on Order
Are you in a MY 21? My 2023 has like 3 or 4 slots in the bed to insert 2 by lumber to create your own cargo divider. I like the extender, good thinking there!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jack_Toepfer

Jack_Toepfer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
Are you in a MY 21? My 2023 has like 3 or 4 slots in the bed to insert 2 by lumber to create your own cargo divider. I like the extender, good thinking there!
I’m in a ‘21, but the slots are only on the passenger side, the driver side has the power station (or whatever it’s called). Can’t just drop a 2x in there like I have for decades, lol.

OP
OP
Jack_Toepfer

Jack_Toepfer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
I really can’t stand you handy guys. :( I wish I was this and so does my wife lol 😂 this looks great. Love the adjustable
Just for you, I’ll show you v1… which anyone could make in 30 minutes with basic tools.

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender 27D13495-BC66-4632-9751-5F1B133595B1

Ford F-150 DIY - Bed divider & extender 5450FFEE-B2B5-4798-AF2D-52D3B7A9C26D

OP
OP
Jack_Toepfer

Jack_Toepfer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
I like how you used the holes in the top of those tie downs. I noticed last night that my tie downs are pretty hard to access with my boards in the way. I’ll cut a relief in them to give me 360* access to them in the next revision.

@MedicalPhysicist - @3DogKnight’s pictures show what I was describing. The slots on the passenger side and the power distribution on the driver side.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Very nice DIY. The flip design is clever. (y) It looks heavy though. I suggest skeletonizing it. Plywood is really strong. You can cut most of it away. The divider/extension panel could have screen sandwiched between thinner plywood. I have the Ford divider. It [isn't] structural. It is just a fairly light weight barrier. Your needs may vary though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jack_Toepfer

Jack_Toepfer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
Very nice DIY. The flip design is clever. (y) It looks heavy though. I suggest skeletonizing it. Plywood is really strong. You can cut most of it away. The divider/extension panel could have screen sandwiched between thinner plywood. I have the Ford divider. It is structural. It is just a fairly light weight barrier. Your needs may vary though.
Thanks @oneinch, and you’re 100% right. I haven’t hacked away at it yet, but those holes will make it lighter but also give me more tie down and strap options. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Since I take the large divider out before I move anything else, it’s really 3 very easily manageable pieces, but lighter is better.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Making holes in the divider will reduce the weigh in the bed by less than having a gallon less fuel in the tank. Most important to me is knowing that it can prevent something heavy, like a tool box, from coming forward and through the rear window in an accident or emergency braking situation.

OP
OP
Jack_Toepfer

Jack_Toepfer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Whippled Platty
Occupation
IT guy
Making holes in the divider will reduce the weigh in the bed by less than having a gallon less fuel in the tank. Most important to me is knowing that it can prevent something heavy, like a tool box, from coming forward and through the rear window in an accident or emergency braking situation.
Not worried about the weight in the bed, it’s the weight of the thing my bad back needs to pick up and negotiate in the bed.
Sponsored