Sponsored

Distance To Empty calc has very decent "cushion"

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Does anyone know how low the gas can be and still have the pump push gas to the engine? I have had vehicles where when the tank got low I lost gas to the engine on steep grades. With a 36-gallon fuel tank I work on the assumption that I have 34 gallons available. With a diesel engine it is even more important as it is a real pain to reprime the fuel pump.
Sponsored

John861

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Does anyone know how low the gas can be and still have the pump push gas to the engine? I have had vehicles where when the tank got low I lost gas to the engine on steep grades. With a 36-gallon fuel tank I work on the assumption that I have 34 gallons available. With a diesel engine it is even more important as it is a real pain to reprime the fuel pump.
On level ground, it can likely suck the tank nearly dry. If you are on a grade, there is only so much fuel in the fuel pump bucket so it will stall after a few minutes of idling, or shorter if you are driving under load. Every time the tank gets back to level the pump can refill the bucket again, so it's just longer grades that are a problem. Pretty much everyone in the industry uses the same stuff, so everyone has the same problem with grades.

Diesels often have control strategies to stall the engine at low fuel levels before it sucks air. As a driver, you won't know the difference other than it will restart easily after you add a little fuel.