First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Retired
It is my understanding the only way to get Dolby Atmos from a streaming service, is if you have either Tidal Uncompressed or Amazon HD, both of which are paid subscriptions. There may be additional services, but I believe to carry the additional sound information required for Atmos it has to be uncompressed.
Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
It is my understanding the only way to get Dolby Atmos from a streaming service, is if you have either Tidal Uncompressed or Amazon HD, both of which are paid subscriptions. There may be additional services, but I believe to carry the additional sound information required for Atmos it has to be uncompressed.
Yep
Not sure that makes a difference..

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Well, a Bluetooth connection from a phone is either A2DP (one way stereo) or SCO/eSCO (bi directional phone call) so you can't send true Dolby Atmos anyway. I just wondered if the simulated effect would get any sound to the headrest speakers so I can listen for it some day.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Well, a Bluetooth connection from a phone is either A2DP (one way stereo) or SCO/eSCO (bi directional phone call) so you can't send true Dolby Atmos anyway. I just wondered if the simulated effect would get any sound to the headrest speakers so I can listen for it some day.
Instead of using Bluetooth to connect, would it help sound quality if using a hardwire connection (from phone)?

Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Instead of using Bluetooth to connect, would it help sound quality if using a hardwire connection (from phone)?
I use a usb drive. The sound quality is good. The sound separation is great. You can hear all the speakers. You can still select artist, albums, genre, etc when using a usb drive.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
It’s my understanding that wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay both use wifi rather than Bluetooth. If that’s true, the bandwidth limit is negligible, and therefore the audio quality should be the same as a wired connection. However, I don’t have my truck yet, so I can’t test this assumption

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
It’s my understanding that wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay both use wifi rather than Bluetooth. If that’s true, the bandwidth limit is negligible, and therefore the audio quality should be the same as a wired connection. However, I don’t have my truck yet, so I can’t test this assumption
CarPlay is a Wifi connection, not BT. It’s also why you can’t be in wireless CarPlay AND car hotspot (which is why that feature may be useless to most drivers and perhaps only valuable to their passengers).

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Android Auto is BT...
Don't know about Apple car but would have to assume it's also BT..
Most people don't have WIFI in their vehicles and in my case I've always connected with BT, I've never had WIFI in a vehicle..

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Some info here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748129

In short wireless CarPlay should support CD quality audio (more than enough for Apple Music, Spotify, etc) and it uses a lossless format to transmit the audio to the system via wifi (the same they use for AirPods). If you have higher quality audio file on your phone (ex: you have a 24bit/96khz FLAC rip) you won't get that quality preserved across the connection (it's only lossless up to CD quality). However if you do have a file like that you probably aren't outputting that quality through your phone anywhere without a special adapter because the lighting port on the phone also maxes out at CD quality.

A USB drive with a higher than CD quality file would be the only way to get the maximum possible sound (on a BMW system at least). However 99.9% of people would be unable to tell the difference.

Sponsored

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Android Auto is BT...
Don't know about Apple car but would have to assume it's also BT..
Most people don't have WIFI in their vehicles and in my case I've always connected with BT, I've never had WIFI in a vehicle..
Apple CarPlay uses the in car network over WIFI. When you start the truck, the iPhone initially connects as bluetooth and then disconnects and then hooks up as CarPlay If you change your connection to bluetooth while CarPlay is active it will disconnect CarPlay and connect the Iphone as a bluetooth device. If you change your wifi to anything other than the in truck network CarPlay will not connect.

As far as I can tell Sync 4 has some gremlins to work out. I cannot playback music correctly from my iPhone 12 and Android users seem to be having numerous issues. There have been a few times that CarPlay would not connect and nothing in the setup had changed.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Apple CarPlay uses the in car network over WIFI. When you start the truck, the iPhone initially connects as bluetooth and then disconnects and then hooks up as CarPlay If you change your connection to bluetooth while CarPlay is active it will disconnect CarPlay and connect the Iphone as a bluetooth device. If you change your wifi to anything other than the in truck network CarPlay will not connect.

As far as I can tell Sync 4 has some gremlins to work out. I cannot playback music correctly from my iPhone 12 and Android users seem to be having numerous issues. There have been a few times that CarPlay would not connect and nothing in the setup had changed.
Big problems getting Android to work properly, WIFI or BT..
Sometimes it will work but not totally..
The volume goes way down when connected to the phone compared to the radio..
Radio sounding much better..

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Big problems getting Android to work properly, WIFI or BT..
Sometimes it will work but not totally..
The volume goes way down when connected to the phone compared to the radio..
Radio sounding much better..
AA seems to be pretty buggy for any car. Lots of issues reported: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/ Maybe you can find a solution for yours?

Not that CarPlay is perfect (I still have occasional connection issues on Sync3) but it probably helps to only have one hardware manufacturer who also writes the software.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
AA seems to be pretty buggy for any car. Lots of issues reported: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/ Maybe you can find a solution for yours?

Not that CarPlay is perfect (I still have occasional connection issues on Sync3) but it probably helps to only have one hardware manufacturer who also writes the software.
Thanks

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I have Atmos turned on and B&O set to surround sound..
It all sounds good to me..
Couldn't pay me to listen to Sirius..
Yeah, to me the music sounds better (fuller) on FM over satellite as long as it is a strong signal. Not problem in my area. About the only thing I listen to on Sirius is the comedy channels, I don't renew when the free is over. My wife has it and I have it on my phone from that account.
Sponsored