First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
It works, is reliable, and you don't have to worry about torquing a bolt every oil change. It is the easy button.
I get that part, I just meant is there a "oh don't do that or all of your oil will leak out of the truck as soon as you get on the highway" thing that I should know about.
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I get that part, I just meant is there a "oh don't do that or all of your oil will leak out of the truck as soon as you get on the highway" thing that I should know about.
135k miles on a 2013 Outback and 122k miles on a 2010 Honda Odyssey so far without issues. Had one on my 2019 Silverado with no issues and planning to install one on the F150 next oil change.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
We had a Fumoto valve on a Honda Civic for more than 200,000 miles and it was still working great when we gave it away. In the case of the Civic, the whole bottom of the oil pan would have to have been ripped off before the Fumoto valve would have been hit. On my F150 (Powerboost), even if I didn't have a skid plate, many things would be destroyed for the valve to take a hit.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Curious about the fumoto valve shear potential with road hazards and off road?
I'm sure that's a hazard, but the drain valve is surrounded by parts that all cause catastrophic damage when snapped off of the truck while it's in the mud/far from civilization/at highway speed et c. I think the better solution is "a good set of skid plates". I looked at the drain plug location yesterday and it sits about 2" inboard of the edge of my Talon plate, so it's a great combination of accessible but hard to randomly injure.

Sponsored

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
While I await my F-150, I am reading through the owner's manual, and to my surprise it does not give directions on how to perform an oil change. Does Ford not provide directions for doing this this?
Have you ever heard of YOUTUBE?

Davecp114

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew
I have a 2021 with the 5.0L and I find it interesting the the Ford shop manual states not to oil the filter gasket before installation. I'm a former Ford tech and I always put a little oil on the gasket..not sure why they specifically say not to do it. I also put piece of aluminum foil on the crossmember to prevent the oil from getting all over when draining the oil pan. It prevents the drips from getting all over and make cleanup a non-issue. Same thing below the drip tray below the oil filer to keep the oil off the underbody shied without removing it.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I've seen the note of not oiling the gasket outside of Ford. Two things come to mind. First, the oil will get on the outside of the gasket and collect dirt, which could end up getting on the threads or mating surface during the next oil change and start circulating. Second thing, putting oil on the gasket could lead to it getting over torqued when you're putting it on making it harder to get off or damaging the threads. I still put a little oil on mine as well though when changing it even seeing that I shouldn't multiple places.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Powerboost not available on XL, nor the 3.5 eco.

2.7 eco, 3.3 or 5.0 are the only choices.
That's new though.
Lots of XL Powerboost out there. I fetched one for the company maintenance and line crew. It was a game changer with ProPower, as well as a #2000 Payload

Sponsored

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
Bumping an older thread....

So both Fumoto and Valvomax talk about a new plastic corkscrew oil plug (which they don't offer a product for). Haven't been under the truck yet to remove the skid plate on my 23 3.5EB Tremor so not sure what to expect (low mileage driver and it's now finally time to do first oil change). Want to have the replacement ready to go once I drop the plate (leaning toward Valvomax b/c I don't want to have to drop the plate every time).

Anyone have this new-fangled plastic plug? Which engines got it it? Does filter require dropping plate (if so, then I'm leaning toward the Fumoto plug)? Etc.?

(Used to do this stuff all the time, but I'm a bit broken down these days so under the truck less frequently than in my younger, less broken down days. :sigh:

TIA for any insight anyone has....

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
Bumping an older thread....

So both Fumoto and Valvomax talk about a new plastic corkscrew oil plug (which they don't offer a product for). Haven't been under the truck yet to remove the skid plate on my 23 3.5EB Tremor so not sure what to expect (low mileage driver and it's now finally time to do first oil change). Want to have the replacement ready to go once I drop the plate (leaning toward Valvomax b/c I don't want to have to drop the plate every time).

Anyone have this new-fangled plastic plug? Which engines got it it? Does filter require dropping plate (if so, then I'm leaning toward the Fumoto plug)? Etc.?

(Used to do this stuff all the time, but I'm a bit broken down these days so under the truck less frequently than in my younger, less broken down days. :sigh:

TIA for any insight anyone has....
I belive the 2.7l has the corkscrew plug.

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
I belive the 2.7l has the corkscrew plug.
Thanks for the feedback.

I asked b/c the internet abounds with questions. Certainly seems the 2.7 is solely plastic plug, but others are saying the 3.5 (what I have) probably (since 2015 or so) has the plastic plug, and that the 5.0 doesn't. But no one seems to be sure. Thought it would be a simple query! :)

So I guess it's under the truck I go....

EDIT: Well, under the truck I went. Found the oil plug; was in an entirely different spot than I thought it would be. And it's metal (with a metal oil pan). Now on to try to find the filter. Talley ho!

Last edited:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Thanks for the feedback.

I asked b/c the internet abounds with questions. Certainly seems the 2.7 is solely plastic plug, but others are saying the 3.5 (what I have) probably (since 2015 or so) has the plastic plug, and that the 5.0 doesn't. But no one seems to be sure. Thought it would be a simple query! :)

So I guess it's under the truck I go....

EDIT: Well, under the truck I went. Found the oil plug; was in an entirely different spot than I thought it would be. And it's metal (with a metal oil pan). Now on to try to find the filter. Talley ho!
Well, the Powerboost ( a 3.5 block) has a metal crankcase drain plug with a rubber captive gasket in it. I've been down there more than once.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
My 2023 STX with 5.0L V8 is a stamped steel oil pan and a metal bolt for the plug. I believe your 3.5L EB will be the same as the V8. I think it’s only 2.7 EB that has plastic oil pan and plastic cork screw plug.
Sponsored