Directions For Oil Change

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
While I await my F-150, I am reading through the owner's manual, and to my surprise it does not give directions on how to perform an oil change. Does Ford not provide directions for doing this this?
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
No, they do not. Don't remember when and if they ever did. I know none of my cars I've had the in last 20 years have not had directions on how to change the oil in the manual.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
To be fair, it's a very straightforward process. Pull off the rear underbody cover, have a pan ready and remove the drain plug in the oil pan. Let it drain, then move to the oil filter. Have the pan under the opening in the underbody cover just behind the filter. Loosen the filter and let it drain before fully removing. Put a new filter on, clean up the drips everywhere, then refill with oil.

OP
OP
Uncorked

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
To be fair, it's a very straightforward process. Pull off the rear underbody cover, have a pan ready and remove the drain plug in the oil pan. Let it drain, then move to the oil filter. Have the pan under the opening in the underbody cover just behind the filter. Loosen the filter and let it drain before fully removing. Put a new filter on, clean up the drips everywhere, then refill with oil.
I have a general understanding of the oil change process but sometimes there are particular things that are good to know. For example, my 2021 Civic owners manual tells me that I have to replace a one-time use crush washer and how much torque to apply to the replacement oil filter and drain plug.

Forgive me if I am just being OCD.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
No worries. You are just waiting for your truck and spending that time........ Well, you know. Lol

What else is a fella to do? :)

Nothing tricky about the oil change. I put a fumoto valve on the pan and now can change the oil basically tooless, no jack necessary, and not a drop on the ground.
Although tooless isn't exactly true because a ratchet with an oil filter end cap makes it Effortless to loosen the oil filter that it seems like I put on just a month prior.

The only potential gotcha is that the factory drip tray under that oil filter will allow oil to flow to either side of the crossmember. So depending on the slope or the rake in your truck, you need the drain pan to span the two potential exits.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Last edited:

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
The only potential gotcha is that the factory drip tray under that oil filter will allow oil to flow to either side of the crossmember. So depending on the slope or the rake in your truck, you need the drain pan to span the two potential exits.
At times this can become the most annoying part of the entire process! 😂

Chipk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered - 2023 F-150 Tremor, 2023 Mazda CX-50
No worries. You are just waiting for your truck and spending that time........ Well, you know. Lol

What else is a fella to do? :)

Nothing tricky about the oil change. I put a fumoto valve on the pan and now can change the oil basically tooless, no jack necessary, and not a drop on the ground.
Although tooless isn't exactly true because a ratchet with an oil filter end cap makes it Effortless to loosen the oil filter that it seems like I put on just a month prior.

Love your Clem image!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Congrats Jeff ( @Uncorked ) on your impending 3.3 XL!

Here's the oil change procedure and the specs section referenced therein from the Workshop Manual (2022 but for this should be the same for your 2023) to keep you occupied while you wait.

Note that the diagrams are after the applicable text and may be on the page after the applicable text because of where page-breaks fall when printing to PDF.

Hope you enjoy your new truck!

:)

It isn't terminal OCD to read your owner's manual before you get your truck, it's just a prudent way to pass the time ;) . (y)

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
The underbody cover by the oil pan has four 5/16" hex head screws and I'd recommend removing the front, then the rear. There is a tab to hold the front in place without falling with the screws removed, but not the rear. It will help save the cover from potential breakage.

I agree with @Snakebitten as well for a filter wrench, especially on the Powerboost. It should be a 76mm/14 flute cap, and a flex head offset handle ratchet was perfect for when I changed my oil Sunday.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
This video shows the process on the 3.5L PowerBoost, and then here's the Fumoto addition.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Also, put the oil pan drain plug back in.

OP
OP
Uncorked

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
Thanks everyone. I appreciate you all.

Tall Tail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew XLT 302A 4x4 5.0L 3.31
Congrats Jeff ( @Uncorked ) on your impending 3.3 XL!

Here's the oil change procedure and the specs section referenced therein from the Workshop Manual (2022 but for this should be the same for your 2023) to keep you occupied while you wait.

Note that the diagrams are after the applicable text and may be on the page after the applicable text because of where page-breaks fall when printing to PDF.

Hope you enjoy your new truck!

:)

It isn't terminal OCD to read your owner's manual before you get your truck, it's just a prudent way to pass the time ;) . (y)

that's awesome! Can you send me this for the 2022 5.0L?
Sponsored