• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Digesting the 70% price gap between the XLT and Platinum Lightning.

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Where will the Lariat land?
I have been analyzing and comparing ICE model price differences to try to better understand the huge gap between the Lightning XLT and Platinum price.

Things to remember: It doesn't matter what it cost to make, it's what they can get away with charging. There is no direct competition to the Lightning. The Mach-E is a direct competitor with the Tesla Model Y and it's pricing shows that, same with Bronco v. Wrangler. The best comp I can come up with to the Lightning is the hybrid F-150. Out the door price gap between an optioned XLT and Platinum however is only 24% on the Hybrid F-150.

Hopefully this picture is readable. I'm estimating out the door price of optioned XLT and Lariat. I have low expectations of meeting my budget, hoping for an upside surprise come order time at the end of the year

Ford F-150 Lightning Digesting the 70% price gap between the XLT and Platinum Lightning. 2021-05-26_16h29_08
Sponsored

OP
OP
audiomikej

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
I am estimating for high options it will be $67-$72K for XLT, $76-82K for Lariat, and $94-96K for Platinum.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
That analysis is good and squares pretty well with my hypothesis that the Lightning will cost about $15k more than its ICE counterpart, apples-to-apples.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I'll have to look at the spreadsheet in more detail later, but the way I looked at it:

An XLT Powerboost 4x4 Supercrew 5.5' with zero options is $50,640.

An XLT Lightning 4x4 Supercrew 5.5' with zero options is $52,974.

So, the XLT Lightning 230 is $2,350 more, and an XLT Lightning 300 is ~$12,350 more... and both of those numbers can subtract $7,500 for the tax credit.

Before accounting for differences in *dealer discounts*, the Lightning SR is somewhere between $5k CHEAPER than a comparable Powerboost, and $5k more expensive for the Lightning 300 vs Powerboost.

For the Platinum, I can get that up to about $76,700, putting it $14k ($7k after credit) cheaper than a loaded Platinum Lightning (which was my understanding of the $90k number).

So, IMO, the Lariat is *probably* somewhere in the differential range of those. A base Lariat Powerboost 4x4 Supercrew is $56k, so I'd guess the Lariat Lightning starts at $58-59k, and add $10k for the ER battery.

Last edited:

BigDill

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Mustang GT 2016 Exploder [sic]
My guess is that the Lariat will clock in about $68,000 before delivery and with few options but with extended range. If the tax credit is in effect, I think this is where I would buy. Without the credit, I think this would be tough to swallow for a truck that is somehow more impractical to tow with that the Silverado 4 banger.

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
In my comment, I was thinking the $15k difference applies to (a) long-range Lightning, and (b) no EV tax credit. I don't think the tax credit will go on that long, between the Mustang Mach-E and Lightning.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Keep your eye on the daily battle over the infrastructure bill. If it goes thru, the EV rebates will be reset to the point where they will never end and charge stations will blossom.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Keep your eye on the daily battle over the infrastructure bill. If it goes thru, the EV rebates will be reset to the point where they will never end and charge stations will blossom.
One of the reasons I sold my Tesla: DIdn't want to own it when a huge tax credit gets reinstated and have the value drop by thousands in a day.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
In my comment, I was thinking the $15k difference applies to (a) long-range Lightning, and (b) no EV tax credit. I don't think the tax credit will go on that long, between the Mustang Mach-E and Lightning.
The tax credit should be safe in 2022. Subsequent years will have to rely on an expansion of the tax credit.

Sponsored

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
Ugh . . . just looked at the Lightning spec sheet again and found out the Max recline seats are only available on the Platinum, and even then they are an OPTION. Those were a real selling point for my wife that likes to nap a lot on road trips. The Platinum is WAY to rich for my blood. The gas version has them as a $340 option on the King Ranch.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ugh...The gas version has them as a $340 option on the King Ranch.

Ford is worse than many manufacturers with its trim level shell games on the F-150. One can't get LED headlights at any price on regular cab trucks and only on the Tremor can you get the upfitter switches available for every trim on SuperDuty. I am guessing that the Max Recline seats were so much more popular than expected that they decided to up the price of admission for the "privilege" of paying for the option.

If it's any consolation, the Max Recline seats are not for use when the truck is in motion, even for the passenger and according to the manual, visual and auditory warnings that can't be turned off are triggered when the truck is in motion. This is due to the very real likelihood of submarining the seat restraint in a collision or even heavy braking.

When driving, driver and passenger seats should as upright as practical:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/seattle0307.pdf

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
Ford is worse than many manufacturers with its trim level shell games on the F-150. One can't get LED headlights at any price on regular cab trucks and only on the Tremor can you get the upfitter switches available for every trim on SuperDuty. I am guessing that the Max Recline seats were so much more popular than expected that they decided to up the price of admission for the "privilege" of paying for the option.

If it's any consolation, the Max Recline seats are not for use when the truck is in motion, even for the passenger and according to the manual, visual and auditory warnings that can't be turned off are triggered when the truck is in motion. This is due to the very real likelihood of submarining the seat restraint in a collision or even heavy braking.

When driving, driver and passenger seats should as upright as practical:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/seattle0307.pdf
Believe me . . . I have had this discussion with my wife. She still reclines the seat and naps and there is nothing I can do about it and maintain any kind of harmony. However, it is good to know that even the passenger seat will not do this when in motion. Thanks for that info.

It is still a great option to have if you want to take a 40 minute nap while plugged into an EA charger on a trip. Quite frankly because of the fact that as BEV drivers we do spend more time fueling than an ICE vehicle, this SHOULD be an available option on ALL trims of the lightning. I don't care if they charge me $500. But to make me go up to the $90K trim. Nope.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
The tax credit should be safe and it's looking like they want to up it to $12.5K for EV's under $80K. Which would mean a Lariat ?

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa...es-ev-tax-credit-of-up-to-12500-idUSL2N2NE05M
This is correct. Also, it wonā€™t expire until EVs have 50% market saturation. Thatā€™s a long time. Additionally, here in Colorado, we have another $2500 tax credit. I could end up with $15000 off MSRP.

Iā€™m still looking for confirmation on this but the wording of the bill seems to change this from a standard tax credit to something similar to an Earned Income Tax Credit. That means everyone can get it instead of just people that pay more than $7500 (or $12500) in taxes.

That said, this is still just a bill and itā€™s still in negotiation. A lot can change before it comes law.

dingle87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150
This is correct. Also, it wonā€™t expire until EVs have 50% market saturation. Thatā€™s a long time. Additionally, here in Colorado, we have another $2500 tax credit. I could end up with $15000 off MSRP.

Iā€™m still looking for confirmation on this but the wording of the bill seems to change this from a standard tax credit to something similar to an Earned Income Tax Credit. That means everyone can get it instead of just people that pay more than $7500 (or $12500) in taxes.

That said, this is still just a bill and itā€™s still in negotiation. A lot can change before it comes law.
Yep. I'm crossing my fingers this is left alone and we get the full amount. That would make this a no brainer purchase for our family.
Sponsored