oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
Hello all,
I bought a new hybrid 2wd a couple of days ago. Today I have been looking over all of the accessories and checking basic fluid levels, battery connectors, tire pressures, lug nut torques, and several other things I want to be correct on my latest new truck. Sometimes a stitch in time saves 9....37......or 892.

I opened the fill plug on the diff and expected that oil might spill out from being completely filled at the factory. I found that the level is approx 1/2 to 5/8
inch below the bottom of the fill hole. I have seen that this is normal on some autos but I'm not sure on this one. I plan to buy the service cd and wiring diagrams
from Helm publishers but that would take a few days to get here.

Does anyone have service literature or happen to know if this fill level is ok?
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
A call to your dealer could probably answer that.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I would venture to guess that these are filled by weight, metered from a bulk source.
They may also be filled with the differential oriented to prevent spillage.
All of the rear assemblies most likely use the same volume/weight for a “full” fill.
I have always maintained that if you can stick your pinky in that hole and touch oil, it is fine.
Different gear ratios will displace different amounts of fluid due to the thickness of the different gearsets
The fill hole will keep you from overfilling as most people (me too) fill til it starts coming out.

OP
OP

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I would venture to guess that these are filled by weight, metered from a bulk source.
All of the rear assemblies most likely use the same volume/weight for a “full” fill.
I have always maintained that if you can stick your pinky in that hole and touch oil, it is fine.
Different gear ratios will displace different amounts of fluid due to the thickness of the different gearsets
The fill hole will keep you from overfilling as most people (me too) fill til it starts coming out.
Thanks for
The fill hole will keep you from overfilling as most people (me too) fill til it starts coming out. [/QUOTAS]
Thanks for your reply. I was unable to get my finger low enough to touch the oil. I bent a zip tie and was able to measure how low the fluid was. There was barely any clearance to the gear set from the hole, (maybe 5/16 in). If any one measures their diff, let me know results.

OP
OP

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
OoPS, my bad. Starting over again,
Thanks for your reply. I was unable to reach fluid level with my finger. There was only about 5/16
in. clearance from gearset to case. I determined level by using a bent zip tie. If anyone checks their fluid, let me know what you find.
Sponsored