Didnt irder 4WD/FX4 will I regret it?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I do not buy 4x4 for off-roading or snow. I buy it for 4A, which is a tarmac based traction feature.
If I buy XLT or XL trim, I buy 2WD because Ford won't let me have 4A in those trims. I would admittedly rarely ever need 4Hi or 4Lo.

However there are fellas who have purchased 4WD XLT and then swapped transfer case and enabled 4A features.

I'm not sure I'm tenacious enough to take that route, but I respect those that have.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Four wheel drive is only for getting you out of places you never would have been in if you didn’t have four wheel drive.
AND
you only realize your four wheel drive is not working correctly when you actually need the four wheel drive.

been in these situations more than once.

That being said, I got it on the new truck just so I could get out of my back yard once I got back there (sandy and hilly). But for the most part don’t use it.

My old Chevy pretty much stays in 4x4 on the property, and Her Trailblazer stays in 4-Auto all the time ( she has no clue how to deal with the buttons or where and when to push them—therefore 4A and forget it.

On sheer ice ( grew up in the mountains of Idaho) I was not a fan of 4-wheel drive. Preferred to drive a large passenger car (softer springs and better weight transfer) but on snow, slush, muddy roads, 4x4 is the only way to go.

I don’t NEED it, but it does come in handy for me, and I did use it in the new truck during the recent Texas freeze and snowfall. I have an XLT so no 4A

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
same, I actually looked for a STX 2WD....dont need the 4x4, so no reason to pay for it.

Derpado

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bob
I ordered RWD. Better mileage, easier to get in, easier and cheaper to maintain, costs $4600 less. In terms of lifetime cost of ownership it makes zero sense to buy 4x4 if you don't actively need 4x4 multiple times a year. The "just in case" argument doesn't do much for me personally. Getting a pull / tow out of a bad situation doesn't cost much, and these situations can be avoided entirely by exercising some degree of caution.

With this much cost savings I can rent a Jeep kitted for the beach, rock crawl, etc. for a full week every year for 5-6 years and still save money.

A locking rear diff and appropriate tires can help supplement the loss of 4x4 but will never make up the traction loss. If you live in a snowy climate or with low traction dirt roads that turn to mud then 4x4 is obviously the way to go.

RWD certainly hurts resale value, but you'll never come close to recouping the extra cost of 4x4...

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
If you can get away with 2wd, do it. Less initial cost, less fuel cost, less maintenance, less weight on the nose.

easier to lift too with a spindle lift and not worry about cv angles

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
My truck should be arriving at the dealer this week. It seems 90% of the trucks I've been seeing are 4x4/FX4 trucks.

I live in Houston, don't do waterworks (so no launch ramps) and don't go off-road.

My current truck is an STX 2WD and it's been fine. No issues. ..

I decided based on my usage that 4x4/FX4 wasn't needed. I couldn't see spending an extra 5k for the 4x4 with FX4 package.

Will I regret this decision? I don't think I will, but seeing hiw so many are FX4 trucks, am I missing something?
Up here in northern Minnesota four wheel drive is a necessity. At least where I live. Four wheel drive and a locking rear axle makes driving through snow really fun.

OP
OP

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
Up here in northern Minnesota four wheel drive is a necessity. At least where I live. Four wheel drive and a locking rear axle makes driving through snow really fun.
No snow in Houston

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Nope! I have it because I live in MN and it snows but 95% of my driving is in 2wd, the other 5% makes it worth it for me. One big bonus is you won't have to peel off the decals they put on when you get fx4 or 4wd :)

Sponsored

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
My truck should be arriving at the dealer this week. It seems 90% of the trucks I've been seeing are 4x4/FX4 trucks.

I live in Houston, don't do waterworks (so no launch ramps) and don't go off-road.

My current truck is an STX 2WD and it's been fine. No issues. ..

I decided based on my usage that 4x4/FX4 wasn't needed. I couldn't see spending an extra 5k for the 4x4 with FX4 package.

Will I regret this decision? I don't think I will, but seeing hiw so many are FX4 trucks, am I missing something?
FROM MY EXPERIENCE IF YOU UOGRADE TO 4X4/FX4 YOU SOEND MORE INITIALLY BUT YOU ALSO GET MORE ON THE OTHER END. SO BASICALLY ITS A WASH,IF YOU DONT NEED IT YOU WONT MISS IT

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR Powerboost, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
FROM MY EXPERIENCE IF YOU UOGRADE TO 4X4/FX4 YOU SOEND MORE INITIALLY BUT YOU ALSO GET MORE ON THE OTHER END. SO BASICALLY ITS A WASH,IF YOU DONT NEED IT YOU WONT MISS IT
I ordered RWD. Better mileage, easier to get in, easier and cheaper to maintain, costs $4600 less. In terms of lifetime cost of ownership it makes zero sense to buy 4x4 if you don't actively need 4x4 multiple times a year. The "just in case" argument doesn't do much for me personally. Getting a pull / tow out of a bad situation doesn't cost much, and these situations can be avoided entirely by exercising some degree of caution.

With this much cost savings I can rent a Jeep kitted for the beach, rock crawl, etc. for a full week every year for 5-6 years and still save money.

A locking rear diff and appropriate tires can help supplement the loss of 4x4 but will never make up the traction loss. If you live in a snowy climate or with low traction dirt roads that turn to mud then 4x4 is obviously the way to go.

RWD certainly hurts resale value, but you'll never come close to recouping the extra cost of 4x4...
Snow and Ice are obvious reasons for 4x4. Another reason is for towing. I have a truck to tow my fishing boat. I have seen guys spinning their tires many times at the boat launch on wet concrete.

Txm

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 F150, 22 F150 501 on order.
Occupation
Paramedic
I'm in Cypress and personally will not own a 2wd truck. We have a boat so it's handy on a steep boat ramp, have land in Robertson County so it gets used up there on occasion. We also rent travel trailers, it's not always the case but every now I need it if depending on the RV park. Big Chief in Buchanan Dam, for example... We always get the same spot right on the lake, cant back a trailer into this particular spot without switching into 4H.

If you're just running around town then I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you've never needed it before. Enjoy the savings.

svnwolves

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw cab xlt
Occupation
I break data centers
Four wheel drive is only for getting you out of places you never would have been in if you didn’t have four wheel drive.
AND
you only realize your four wheel drive is not working correctly when you actually need the four wheel drive.

been in these situations more than once.

That being said, I got it on the new truck just so I could get out of my back yard once I got back there (sandy and hilly). But for the most part don’t use it.

My old Chevy pretty much stays in 4x4 on the property, and Her Trailblazer stays in 4-Auto all the time ( she has no clue how to deal with the buttons or where and when to push them—therefore 4A and forget it.

On sheer ice ( grew up in the mountains of Idaho) I was not a fan of 4-wheel drive. Preferred to drive a large passenger car (softer springs and better weight transfer) but on snow, slush, muddy roads, 4x4 is the only way to go.

I don’t NEED it, but it does come in handy for me, and I did use it in the new truck during the recent Texas freeze and snowfall. I have an XLT so no 4A

4 wheel drive is used for launching boats. 4 wheel drive is used for pulling a camper on sandy roads uphill. 4 wheel drive is used for pulling stumps from out of the ground. Basically is you use a truck past going to the mall, you have a need for 4 wheel drive. I live in Northern Colorado but I use 4 wheel drive more often than I do for the plus 12 inches snow storms we get.

Derpado

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bob
4 wheel drive is used for launching boats. 4 wheel drive is used for pulling a camper on sandy roads uphill. 4 wheel drive is used for pulling stumps from out of the ground. Basically is you use a truck past going to the mall, you have a need for 4 wheel drive. I live in Northern Colorado but I use 4 wheel drive more often than I do for the plus 12 inches snow storms we get.
There is much better equipment for pulling stumps than a light duty pickup, especially many stumps. Stumps of any size aren't moving from a truck pull either. I just cleared 20 acres, ask me how I know.

Someone spins their tires at the ramp and then what? I've seen spinning too, but never seen anyone go in the drink. I agree, a muddy/sandy ramp does require 4x4. The ramps worth going to near me are all grooved concrete, I've seen compact SUVs launch before without issue. I probably would want 4x4 if I had a 25 ft 5000lb boat, but I don't.

Like I said, if you travel mud, sand, icy roads then 4x4 is clearly worth it. In 2016 I pulled a TT through Colorado. I camped at 3 national parks and managed to stay on pavement the whole time without trying. If you boondock, stay at BLM/forestry sites/camp on the beach, etc. then 4x4 is a requirement. If you like staying at campgrounds with a toilet so you can save yourself the hassle of dealing with the black water tank...you likely don't need it.
Sponsored