Didnt irder 4WD/FX4 will I regret it?

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
My truck should be arriving at the dealer this week. It seems 90% of the trucks I've been seeing are 4x4/FX4 trucks.

I live in Houston, don't do waterworks (so no launch ramps) and don't go off-road.

My current truck is an STX 2WD and it's been fine. No issues. ..

I decided based on my usage that 4x4/FX4 wasn't needed. I couldn't see spending an extra 5k for the 4x4 with FX4 package.

Will I regret this decision? I don't think I will, but seeing hiw so many are FX4 trucks, am I missing something?
Sponsored

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I always have the mindset “better have it and not need it”. But if you’re doing fine without it, you’re not missing anything!

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Doesn't sound like you need it. The only question is whether you might be wanting to sell or trade-in the truck in the not too distant future. If so, as you point out, lots of people like those features, so they do add to resale value.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Only you would know if you will regret it. I have a 4x2 Lariat and love it. I have no need for 4x4 and haven't used 4x4 in the 20 plus years I've been driving. My dad drives a 4x2 F-150 and has for years. He used to have some 4x4 Rangers, but again never used the 4x4. My grandpa never owned a 4x4 vehicle. So, it's really personal preference.

Jackal

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My truck should be arriving at the dealer this week. It seems 90% of the trucks I've been seeing are 4x4/FX4 trucks.

I live in Houston, don't do waterworks (so no launch ramps) and don't go off-road.

I decided based on my usage that 4x4/FX4 wasn't needed. I couldn't see spending an extra 5k for the 4x4 with FX4 package.

Will I regret this decision? I don't think I will, but seeing hiw so many are FX4 trucks, am I missing something?
If you don't go off road or drive is seasonal swow and ice that can occur weekly up North chances are it will serve you well as is. My Dad has a saying that 4x4 will only get you stuck a 100 ft further in than 2WD, lol. He never had a 4WD pickup, my last 2WD was in 1991 when I couldn't get out of my own rural driveway. Every person has particular needs or wants out of their F150.

My guess is you will be just fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
Yeah I'm sure I'll be fine. I've had my current truck 3.5 years and have been fine. I set the new one toward towing more than a need for 4WD and even that will only be a few times per year I think.

Javashot1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Warehousing

I've owned and traded both. If you got what you wanted don't regret it at all! You know how you drive and the likelyhood of needing four wheel drive. Financially the resale is better on four wheel drive but in my area is not $5,000 better - maybe $3,000 better if it's FX4, $2,500 if it's reg 4X4.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm guessing that all those 4WD trucks in your area, Houston, is more about the "truck culture" of that area rather than the need for 4WD.
Or put another way, I bet many/most of those trucks rarely or EVER are in 4WD!

However, after having said all that, the Lariat and above trims have a 4A mode that IS a valid feature in the Texas Coastal Tropics. Lol. In fact, on the 2021 4A trucks Ford has now programmed a few modes to automatically include 4A. The "slippery" (rain) mode being an obvious use of AWD.

Again, you don't have to have 4A in the rain. Folks have been driving Pick-up trucks in the tropics for decades. But it's quite the experience to drive in 4A for the first time. It's far more than just hype. The truck definitely has additional grip and wet road prowess.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
if you don’t drive in snow, or go off the pavement, then you’re fine.

I live in the mountains and 2wd is impossible here, you need 4wd. But if you don’t have weather, then you’re good.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
The only time I experienced problems with rear 2WD is on snow and slippery roads with all season tires - usually at stop lights on a slope. Not taking clearance into consideration, I have owned front 2WD only cars (Toyota Camry) with all season tires that perform much better on slippery roads than rear 2WD trucks.

Getting FX4 package over the 4X4 added a little more than a $1K - rear wheels can be locked and the skid plates add protection for off road. Added capability adds motivation to use that added capability. If nothing else it adds some additional peace of mind when in unexpected situations.

Sponsored

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
For me, the extra thousand for “what if I need it” and resale makes it worth it… there’s dealers in my area that can’t get rid of 4x2 to save their lives, even in these climate.

OP
OP

Strengthrehab

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 STX
For me, the extra thousand for “what if I need it” and resale makes it worth it… there’s dealers in my area that can’t get rid of 4x2 to save their lives, even in these climate.
4x4 is extra 3500 over 4x2

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
Honestly, how many guys drop 50-70 grand on a 4X4 and take it rock climbing or mudding? Not many.. Closest thing most get to off road is their gravel driveway... And how many actually know what the FX4 package is other than a different decal on the bed?

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired