Sponsored

Did you get extended warranty?

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
Can you buy the warranty from a different dealer than you buy the truck from?
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Never filed a warranty claim in my entire life, but with the upcoming 2.7 lariat purchase I'm considering an extended warranty.

Question - what deductible did you choose? What was your rationale in selecting it?

I'm leaning higher deductible due to cost and my estimated likelihood of using the warranty multiple times. But if they require the deductible payment just to look at the vehicle to determine if there is a problem, I may reconsider.
You will pay the deductible if they look at it and don't find it doing what you brought it in for. You know how often that can happen.

I went with the 0 deductible partly for that reason, the other was the cost was not that much more for me. I don't put a lot of miles each year and got mine about 2 price increases ago, so my cost was very reasonable.

Be aware you pay every time they check out some issue, unless it was something they just fixed and it did not solve the issue.

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I know i am repeating myself.. but i really think at the price of these trucks we need a 6 or 7 year plan of ownership.. at least. I would do the ford protect for that length of time.. plan ahead!

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
I will absolutely be doing the ESP on my Platinum 701A. I already have a price quote from Granger for Preimium Care 8yr/100k, $0 deductible for $2,295. That includes int/ext lighting, key fob, and 1st day rental. Normally, I wouldn't include lighting and other extras, but those LED tail lights are sealed units. You have to replace the whole unit from my understanding.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
You will pay the deductible if they look at it and don't find it doing what you brought it in for.
Respectfully, that's not quite correct; what you will pay when no problem is found after the 3/36 B-to-B warranty expires is a 'diagnostic fee', even with $0 Ford ESP deductible (unless your dealer waives that as a customer satisfaction courtesy).

The fee charged by your dealer may coincide with your deductible amount but that's unrelated to the terms of your Ford ESP. When a failed / 'no problem found' diagnostic effort occurs the Ford ESP does not come into play at all because the dealer has no claim under the Ford ESP lacking a covered repair (Ford ESP only covers diagnostic costs when a covered repair is the result of the diagnostic effort).

See Ford ESP Contract Article 7:

“7. WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS AGREEMENT ....​
…..​
u) Costs or expenses of Failures not covered by this Agreement including teardown, rental expense, inspection or diagnosis.” [emphasis added]​

As explained by a rep from Granger Ford on another forum (sorry, can't find the post link now) there is a mechanism for dealers to recover (not charge the customer) for costs of failed / 'no problem found' diagnostic efforts under the 3/36 B-to-B warranty, but after that expires there's no coverage for this cost under the Ford ESP.

Again, your dealer may have their own policy addressing this.

There may be good reasons to choose a low / $0 deductible, but avoiding failed / 'no problem found' diagnostic fees is not one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: J-C

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I have a small town dealer that treats me completely different than most dealers. They have spent hours diagnosing and even working on things and when it didn’t fix the problem, they didn’t charge me once cent.

This happened several times with the moonroof in my 2016 Platinum, and a rough idle issue in the same truck. I also had a 2015 Lariat with some vibration issues that they had hours of diagnostic time into that they never charged me for.

Based on that, I’m going with a high deductible. I understand that scenario is not very common, just lucky for me.

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
You will pay the deductible if they look at it and don't find it doing what you brought it in for.
Wow is this Ford thing? Pretty sure I never had to pay anything when I brought in my other brand cars to be looked at.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Respectfully, that's not quite correct; what you will pay when no problem is found after the 3/36 B-to-B warranty expires is a 'diagnostic fee', even with $0 Ford ESP deductible (unless your dealer waives that as a customer satisfaction courtesy).

The fee charged by your dealer may coincide with your deductible amount but that's unrelated to the terms of your Ford ESP. When a failed / 'no problem found' diagnostic effort occurs the Ford ESP does not come into play at all because the dealer has no claim under the Ford ESP lacking a covered repair (Ford ESP only covers diagnostic costs when a covered repair is the result of the diagnostic effort).

See Ford ESP Contract Article 7:

“7. WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS AGREEMENT ....​
…..​
u) Costs or expenses of Failures not covered by this Agreement including teardown, rental expense, inspection or diagnosis.” [emphasis added]​

As explained by a rep from Granger Ford on another forum (sorry, can't find the post link now) there is a mechanism for dealers to recover (not charge the customer) for costs of failed / 'no problem found' diagnostic efforts under the 3/36 B-to-B warranty, but after that expires there's no coverage for this cost under the Ford ESP.

Again, your dealer may have their own policy addressing this.

There may be good reasons to choose a low / $0 deductible, but avoiding failed / 'no problem found' diagnostic fees is not one of them.
Well I stand corrected with the details.

Has happened to me in the past two times and I had the ESP but they could not replicated it on the vehicle, after the 2nd time I just gave up because it was a minor rattle. They never charged me anything and I assumed because I had the ESP, guess they were just being nice for not finding that stupid noise... Lol

Good info!

Reactions: DK4

MontanaFred

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
Occupation
AD Air Force
Went with the Ford ESP since these things are mega computers anymore. I had one on my 2002, but not my 2014...never had a single issue with either. Let me tell you what I found out in my experience.

The dealership/manager screwed up my deal big time, this was over the interest rate. We had a signed deal on Monday and then Tuesday he called saying Ford wont honor it. I didn't get too heated and agreed to meet. Long story short my 0% for 72 months changed to 1.9% for 60 months, but the kicker is that I shaved over $5k from my bottom line with other incentives they found, additional trade in value and reduced pricing on plans.

Since they screwed up the interest rate I told them I didnt want the maintenance and service plans any longer. While doing the paperwork again they offered the packages and I told them no thanks, y'all have raised my monthly payment enough. They asked what payment number I'd be comfortable with if I included service and maintenance, so I said $xxx...and they reluctantly agreed.

Here were the shocking numbers from the offered plans:

Monday offer
- Ford Service plan: 7 years/100k miles for $2800
- Ford premium maintenance: 7 years/100k miles for $2500
- Big Sky protection plan: $1595
- Permaplate paintless dent repair: $350

Tuesday offer
- ESP $1800
- Premium maintenance $1415
- Big Sky protection package $1200
- Permaplate paintless dent: $200

I cant believe how much they try and get away with selling some of this stuff for. I may have still over paid, but on Tuesday I took all 4 options.

Reactions: J-C

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
What is the Big Sky protection package?

MontanaFred

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
Occupation
AD Air Force
What is the Big Sky protection package?
That was a bunch of paint protection sticker things, like a clear bra for the front, the painted bumper, and along the siding. Also has a coating of some paint protection that keeps the "showroom" glossy shine and coating on the windshield like a permanent (or long-lasting) rainx type stuff. Additionally, the paint is covered from a ton of different situations like bird droppings, hard water spots, or you name it. The name "Big Sky" package is just related to here in Montana since the state is known as Big Sky country. Its a package of local stuff the dealership put together and offers.

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I just purchased my ESP through Granger. They were the same cost as Zeigler. Easy experience all completed over email.

I did Premium Care, 7 years, 100k miles, $200 deductible. With the lighting add on for $1,355 total.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
No. Only got it once just before warr expired on wife's 2017 Explorer, and only because it's a trouble free vehicle and not at time of purchase, not knowing if i'll be keeping it that long or not. Usually don't have that much luck and trade them every 2-3 years.

ronaldfreemanjr

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I just had to have the hybrid battery replaced on my 2021 Powerboost under standard warranty. Yes, I bought an 8 year/ 100K mile premium plan with $100 deductible from Ziegler. The higher trim levels have too many things that could go wrong.
Sponsored