Sponsored

Did I mess up the break-in on my 2023 ford 5.0?

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ford f150 rcsb supercharged
Occupation
Welder
Good morning you guys so I just recently bought a ford 2023 f150 5.0 and on the test drive I stupidly floored the truck 2 times ,the truck had 7 miles at the time I floored it , I just wanted to see what kind of power it was pushing , I had never driven a ford so I was curious .. did I mess up by flooring the truck with such little miles ? The truck was warmed up btw … thanks in advance .
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I’m sure it’ll be fine. All these YouTubers floor trucks on the lot with 10 miles on them and they go on to be sold to customers after the reviews. The 5.0 is a very modern engine with very modern metallurgy, and is made for high rpm with a forged bottom end. The cylinder liners are extremely hard (plasma wire arc), so I doubt it did anything harmful. Change the oil early and don’t sweat it. An engine being broken in should be run in all RPM ranges regardless. On my test drive I took it up to 4,500 rpm. I wasn’t buying a truck without giving it some beans. I redlined it probably a week into ownership. I’m now at 10k miles and it doesn’t use a drop of oil and runs like a top.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hermanroman

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welder
Lol yea that was my taught , I felt like I had to give it some beans on the test drive ! But then I instantly regretted it. Lol how soon would you say to change the oil ? Im at 230 miles at the moment ..

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Keep giving it the beans and varying the RPM's - followed by an oil change around the 1000 mile mark would be my recommendation.

The 5.0 is an animal of a powerplant, you didn't hurt anything dropping the hammer!

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Good morning you guys so I just recently bought a ford 2023 f150 5.0 and on the test drive I stupidly floored the truck 2 times ,the truck had 7 miles at the time I floored it , I just wanted to see what kind of power it was pushing , I had never driven a ford so I was curious .. did I mess up by flooring the truck with such little miles ? The truck was warmed up btw … thanks in advance .
I used to work in a car factory. (Mitsubishi) Not a ford I know. But anyway we had a test track and our procedure for testing every car that came off the end of the line was we would drive it out there. Stop and then floor it. That was to test shift points at wide open throttle. Never had a failure or a customer complaint of failure and they had engineers who tracked warranty claims. If it was a problem we would have known about it. It was a flat track so the best you could get was about 113mph before you had to stand on the brakes so you wouldn't slide off on the curves. (speed limit was supposedly 65 pffttt)

Before that the car would have been run up on the test line rollers (wide open)where it was first tested for leaks functionality etc.

This was from roughly 1988 to early 2000's. Ironically, after that time they brought in a retired FORD engineer to run the place. He was to apply cost saving measures. One of the first things he did was to do away with the road test group. Said most customers won't notice things and if they found something to let the dealers fix it.

That was the writing on the wall. It was downhill from there. Ultimately closing for good in 2015.

Point of this book is that technology was good back then. It's even better now. Design and tolerances are night and day different from the engines where you had to really worry about break in. Drive it like you stole it. Words to live by!

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I will add a point contrary to the above ^. I don’t think you messed anything up, but I would follow the break in procedure from now-on where the engineers who have incentive for your car to last suggest that you avoid excessive speed, consistent RPM, and hard loading (flooring it).

OP
OP
Hermanroman

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welder
Thank you guys for all the advice ! I will take it easy on her until I do the first oil change .. to tell you guys the truth my owners Manual says nothing about a break in process 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dizz

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 STX 2.7 EB Crew cab
Occupation
Retired
My cousin just retired from F150 plant in Dearborn
I have the 2.7 EB engine
He described for me the test track that is used to test every new F150
This includes running the guts out of it as well as a high speed trip over serious rumble strips to look for rattling
He said it would scare me to death to see my new truck ran in this manner
So I’d say you are fine

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Just buy extended warranty and delete the post so that if anything happens you can claim failed engine under warranty ;)

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
I just bought my 5.0 in July and I got after it for a couple seconds too during test drive but have been babying it ever since. I HIGHLY recommend doing an oil change at no more than 1k miles, did mine at 500 and at 1500 then at 3k miles. I only use Amsoil Signature Series oil and filter on all my vehicles as I have been doing for a great many years and with zero engine related issues. Then moving on I do them every 5k miles along with air filters every 15k miles etc. It’s crazy to think people will buy a $50k-$80k vehicle and use the cheapest oil for maintenance. Remember that Semi synthetic oils are not 100% Synthetic and in todays complex hard running motors you need the best. Do your research and see for yourself. Good luck and congrats

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hermanroman

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welder
Just buy extended warranty and delete the post so that if anything happens you can claim failed engine under warranty ;)
Lol I doubt they will come to the forums and dig the conversation out 🤣

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
if it makes you feel better, i started towing around the first week i brought my 5.0 home.. don’t sweat too much about a “break in period” in my opinion.

OP
OP
Hermanroman

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welder
I just bought my 5.0 in July and I got after it for a couple seconds too during test drive but have been babying it ever since. I HIGHLY recommend doing an oil change at no more than 1k miles, did mine at 500 and at 1500 then at 3k miles. I only use Amsoil Signature Series oil and filter on all my vehicles as I have been doing for a great many years and with zero engine related issues. Then moving on I do them every 5k miles along with air filters every 15k miles etc. It’s crazy to think people will buy a $50k-$80k vehicle and use the cheapest oil for maintenance. Remember that Semi synthetic oils are not 100% Synthetic and in todays complex hard running motors you need the best. Do your research and see for yourself. Good luck and congrats
how many miles did you have on it when you got after it ? Yea I’ve been babying mine after the test drive .. thanks again to everyone who has replied to me ..

OP
OP
Hermanroman

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welder
if it makes you feel better, i started towing around the first week i brought my 5.0 home.. don’t sweat too much about a “break in period” in my opinion.
Thanks for the advice bud 👍🏼

OP
OP
Hermanroman

Hermanroman

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welder
My cousin just retired from F150 plant in Dearborn
I have the 2.7 EB engine
He described for me the test track that is used to test every new F150
This includes running the guts out of it as well as a high speed trip over serious rumble strips to look for rattling
He said it would scare me to death to see my new truck ran in this manner
So I’d say you are fine
Nice to know ! Lol gives me some peace of mind
Sponsored