First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I've not needed to visit a dealership service department.
Not for the 2 years I've been driving a Powerboost, nor the 4 years in my previous 3.5 Ecoboost, nor the 2 years in my previous 2.7 Ecoboost.

Been statistically very fortunate? 😎

My 2012 F150, which I still own, DID go in for the 6R80 leadframe issue (Ford reprograms to avoid replacement. Not the best remedy) a couple of years ago.
Do you have Ext warranties? Cant recall the last few issues, but the very last was Running board motors needed to be replaced on my '15. They did that just in Dec. '22. My sunroof was stuck open and the track broke, that was last summer. My cooling seat on Drivers side died... all covered by warranty. I know there is more but you NEVER have problems? I wanna by where you are buying... heck even my dishwasher bugs out every once in awhile....???
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have had extended warranties, and do on the current truck as well.

But I should divulge that only my 2012 F150 and my 2017 15 passenger Transit have high(er) mileage.

Truck has ~110,000
Van has 190,000

The van would have made the list of no visits to the dealership, and technically it was not the dealership, but a local transmission shop, when I had the transmission rebuilt at 150,000 miles. It too has been a great vehicle.

Both of these vehicles are the 3.7L Normally Aspirated V6's and still idle silently and run smooth.

I have no choice but to be a Blue Oval loyalist, as far as the product goes. The trucks have been good for me for better than 50 years.

I have witnessed the shine dissappear from the customer service side, so they get zero percent of my discretionary spending. (maintenance)

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have no choice but to be a Blue Oval loyalist, as far as the product goes.
Was driven to every soccer game, school and friends house in my Moms orig '66 Mustang. Was wrenching on it with my Dad since... geeze.... 7yrs old? I now have a collection of old Mustangs and also bleed Ford blue... my best auto to date is still my 2001 Expedition, literally, NEVER, once had an issue, cut'er loose for my '11 Eco, then my '15 Eco (Still cant sell.... ) and now my '22.
At 110k I would expect things to break, the steprails etc. But the time it took to get repaired has always been an issue, maybe part of it is\was COVID... who knows. This little deep sleep thing is nothing really, just a nuisance if anything.
Gonna fire up truck right now (2:55pm PST) Ill report how we do.

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Rapid Red+BAP 701a PB PP FX4
Occupation
Software engineer emeritus
What is the process to edit 12v SOC goal to 95% from 80% in FORSCAN?
All this info was collected from other forum threads, thanks all. I used it to set my truck to 95%, but 90% might also work and it's a bit more conservative. Still trying to understand why mine sometimes goes into deep sleep. @Snakebitten 's bluetooth battery monitor is really helpful.

FORScan tutorial:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

FORScan change;
BdyCM, 726-08-02 (xxxx xx05 00) sets "Target State of Charge" to 80%, this is the default
BdyCM, 726-08-02 (xxxx xx05 A0) sets it to 90%
BdyCM, 726-08-02 (xxxx xx05 F0) sets it to 95%

There are many threads that talk about this topic, some going into amazing detail.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just my 2 1/2 cents.....I took my truck into the dealer last week for a couple of issues 1 being that I get the Deep Sleep Mode alert at times in my Ford Pass app. Sometimes it happened everyday for like 5 days in a row sometimes it goes a few weeks, I guess depending on how often I drive. This had been happening for so long now I don't remember for sure when it started, maybe 6 mos ago? I turned off everything I could like the approach lights and power running boards. Headlights delay set to minimum, etc. to help save some battery juice, in fact the Auto Start/Stop was disabled by the truck due to the deep sleep mode. Anyway the dealer replaced the battery with a new one and reset the BCM. A day or 2 later I was sitting at a red light and the engine cut out and I said WTH? Then I remembered the battery replacement so of course the Auto Start/Stop is working again. Damn It! LOL

Sponsored

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
All this info was collected from other forum threads, thanks all. I used it to set my truck to 95%, but 90% might also work and it's a bit more conservative. Still trying to understand why mine sometimes goes into deep sleep. @Snakebitten 's bluetooth battery monitor is really helpful.

FORScan tutorial:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

FORScan change;
BdyCM, 726-08-02 (xxxx xx05 00) sets "Target State of Charge" to 80%, this is the default
BdyCM, 726-08-02 (xxxx xx05 A0) sets it to 90%
BdyCM, 726-08-02 (xxxx xx05 F0) sets it to 95%

There are many threads that talk about this topic, some going into amazing detail.
You’re awesome, thank you!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Was driven to every soccer game, school and friends house in my Moms orig '66 Mustang. Was wrenching on it with my Dad since... geeze.... 7yrs old? I now have a collection of old Mustangs and also bleed Ford blue... my best auto to date is still my 2001 Expedition, literally, NEVER, once had an issue, cut'er loose for my '11 Eco, then my '15 Eco (Still cant sell.... ) and now my '22.
At 110k I would expect things to break, the steprails etc. But the time it took to get repaired has always been an issue, maybe part of it is\was COVID... who knows. This little deep sleep thing is nothing really, just a nuisance if anything.
Gonna fire up truck right now (2:55pm PST) Ill report how we do.
I've got a fix for the batt issue though still in need of a LFP BMS that I can set truly custom parameters to. I'm currently restructuring things on the business side as I need to get to a point where I can spend 4 weeks straight broadening my capabilities like making my own custom PCBs / circuits (and everything that entails). With the goal of creating my own which is part of a broader plan to create several devices the market doesn't quite know it needs.

My long term test article I've been playing with happily eats 100-70 amps charging (depending on SOC) continually until its full. I haven't let the truck sit long enough to see just how long it lasts (over a 2 week idle period that included excessive greeting wakeups and an OTA, the under-hood AGM was 94% SOC and the LFP was at 75%), but even with my sub 1 mile frequent trips, it rapidly charges -- easily charging more in 5 minutes than the AGM will take in an hour of driving. Of course as a commercial solution it'd probably be $500. Some may think that's expensive for a batt, but LFP lifetimes are rated in decades. These are batteries that with the right charging curves still have 80% of their rated capacity after 6000 cycles (when cycled to 80% depth of charge at .2c).

I've concluded my "economical" testing solution of another product and wasn't pleased with the results -- that's to be expected with cheap pre-made LFP (lithium iron phosphate) "12v" cased units. It's unfortunate that Chinese culture is such that they prefer to sell a whole bunch of crap (technical term) instead of focusing on customer focused quality products. They're rather happy to copy something someone else makes after proving there's a market for it though -- but to try and work with them to develop something to my specs, they're just not interested. Maybe we'll start seeing more western countries producing LFP cells that are available for small companies to purchase economically? Anyone got ~$50mil to startup some battery production?

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@marekjk @Snakebitten @Wolf Man @JustKeepTruckin @RickDawgFL @Samson16 @DcnPat @Jimi @Ranger621 @stlgrym3 @Graygoose2021 @imnuts

Ok to everyone participating in this thread.
Just fired the truck up and had no issues. Drove it to the mailbox, the car wash, the bank drive thru, never turned off the truck. Seems to run fine. Parked the truck back in the garage and made a note of the time I turned it off. Im headed out of town for the weekend in the '15 so I may get another FordPass warning over the weekend...
/shrug

@HammaMan so help me Jesus you and your acronyms. Love ya but I will punch you in the nose....

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
@marekjk @Snakebitten @Wolf Man @JustKeepTruckin @RickDawgFL @Samson16 @DcnPat @Jimi @Ranger621 @stlgrym3 @Graygoose2021 @imnuts

Just fired the truck up and had no issues. Drove it to the mailbox, the car wash, the bank drive thru, never turned off the truck. Seems to run fine. Parked the truck back in the garage and made a note of the time I turned it off. Im headed out of town for the weekend in the '15 so I may get another FordPass warning over the weekend...
/shrug

@HammaMan so help me Jesus you and your acronyms. Love ya but I will punch you in the nose....
My dealership says the will be replaced, because of a charging issue. So, I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. I'll keep you guys posted.

/shrug

The dealership called me and said that the battery is being replaced. It's what's causing the deep sleep problem. They said I can pick up this afternoon, but I said no, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning. I want it sit there overnight, just to make sure it's fixed. Because it was going in deep sleep after 15 hours of not being driven. Good luck and safe travels.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My dealership says the will be replaced, because of a charging issue. So, I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. I'll keep you guys posted.

The dealership called me and said that the battery is being replaced. It's what's causing the deep sleep problem. They said I can pick up this afternoon, but I said no, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning. I want it sit there overnight, just to make sure it's fixed. Because it was going in deep sleep after 15 hours of not being driven. Good luck and safe travels.
Good news... did they say which battery was being replaced?

Sponsored

MikeyDog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150
Ford Pass was not working for me for about 3 weeks when I got the same message. Next day Ford Pass started working again and has been ever since. I think this was something to do with updates.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Timely. Wouldn't you know it.

I mentioned earlier that I often take a screenshot of Dashboard when I shut the truck down for the day, and then again when I wake it up IF I SEE something unexpected during the shutdown hours. I'm mostly looking for parasitic draw on either the 12V system or the High Voltage Hybrid Battery.

I shut down after going and fetching a Whataburger Feast for my kids and grandkids.

Notice Hybrid Battery SOC 47.4%

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 20230517_115548

When I started it this morning:

Hybrid Battery SOC 34.4%
That's considerably below the "trigger" for starting ICE for charging.
42% is about where ICE will inhibit any further reduction in Hybrid Battery SOC.

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 20230517_115420

So this would indicate that there must be some kind of DC/DC converter (alternator) activity while the truck is Off!

So was there any 12V activity to go along with this?

This is the 12V log for yesterday:
The yellow circle is for 12V "activity on a truck that was shut down.

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 20230517_114930

Zoomed. It was for considerably longer than an hour. Which very much differentiates it from the typical shutdown

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 20230517_115223

Here is what a static day looks like for an undisturbed truck (May 12)

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" Screenshot_20230517_114611_Battery Monitor

I can't log the PIDs with the truck shut off, so I can't prove that the 12V logs are exactly representative of the Hybrid Battery drain. But it can't just be coincidence that on the same night the Hybrid Battery drained unexpectedly, the 12V system also had an unusual voltage dance going on for better than an hour.

Fascinating trucks.
I sure wish there was engineering documentation available to explain what might be going on with a truck that appears to be asleep out in the driveway. Lol

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Software update check. Data transfer for analysis. Mothership monthly rollcall. NAV/GPS telemetry calibration. REM sleep.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Hybrid Battery SOC 34.4%
That's considerably below the "trigger" for starting ICE for charging.
42% is about where ICE will inhibit any further reduction in Hybrid Battery SOC.
Well that answers a few hunches. The truck will in-fact turn on the DC/DC when it sees fit, but it seems random, and is likely the cause of the depleted HVB / service engine soon (or whatever the low HVB fault is) issue we've seen pop up from some users. Given this fact, it's curious as to why 1) the HVB trip point of ~33% SOC is so low, 2) when the truck knows it's about to be parked it doesn't keep the HVB engine-on floor at say 50% providing a larger buffer, 3) why when temps allow, does it not instead cycle 50-65% range instead? Lithium chemistry is better stored around the 60% SOC value vs lower where it has a smaller floor buffer? Why is it not factoring in any type of temp correction logic when parking, particularly since it can at the very least understand the season by simply logging not even 12 temp points over 3 days.

More questions than answers here combined with some rather illogical programming. What team is responsible for this and why can we not grill them :)
Sponsored