Sponsored

Deep Sleep Mode [updated with Detroit Free Press article about 12v battery drain issue]

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I had zone lighting disabled, vehicle sat for 10 days. Completely dead battery. So I connected a quality battery charger for 24 hours, still completely dead, zero, zilch, nada.

Used a portable power pack, started right up. Let vehicle sit in my driveway for 30 minutes. It cycled between electric mode (90% status) and ICE (10% status). No problem restarting on its own.

My question is: When it cycles between electric mode and ICE mode, does it use the battery to restart the engine or does it use the PowerBoost / Lithium Ion battery?

If my battery was so severely discharged that it had zero life, I wouldn't think it would have the capability to restart the engine when cycling between electric and ICE?

Also... What was diagnosed as a faulty TCU (Telematics Control Unit, e.g. modem), suddenly was working and responsive again after vehicle went completely dead and was restarted. Was able to reactivate with FordPass, connected services, etc. It was like disconnecting the battery did a reboot of the modem and fixed it.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
Thanks. I think I have turned it off, but will check again after work. I know I saw a message in FordPass about that. So...
1. Isn't that was the OTA update was for?
2. How do we know if we have that update?
3. Does anyone know why they wouldn't/couldn't provide us the voltage in the app and give us a warning ahead of time to be able to start it and charge it?
So many great questions only Ford can answer.

Snirt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Construction
I'll join the dead battery club, 2.7 eco 300 mi, when hooked to my trailer it would throw a trailer modual code or something like that, would walk up to it at night and the zone lighting along with the alarm would go off..weird, was told it had to be the trailer which is only 1 year old, sat for 2 days in garage now totally dead...going to dealer tomorrow, something is not right.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Thanks. I think I have turned it off, but will check again after work. I know I saw a message in FordPass about that. So...
1. Isn't that was the OTA update was for?
2. How do we know if we have that update?
3. Does anyone know why they wouldn't/couldn't provide us the voltage in the app and give us a warning ahead of time to be able to start it and charge it?
I would think battery monitoring and then updating the app regularly would be an additional battery drain. I'm no expert but just my thoughts.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
I'll join the dead battery club, 2.7 eco 300 mi, when hooked to my trailer it would throw a trailer modual code or something like that, would walk up to it at night and the zone lighting along with the alarm would go off..weird, was told it had to be the trailer which is only 1 year old, sat for 2 days in garage now totally dead...going to dealer tomorrow, something is not right.
Get the trailer brake controller reflash from your service department. It was to address battery drain when connected to the trailer.

Sponsored

Snirt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Construction
Get the trailer brake controller reflash from your service department. It was to address battery drain when connected to the trailer.
It wasn't hooked to trailer when it died, just finished a 200 mi trip and parked it

RodneyP

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150 FX4
Occupation
Fleet manager of over 120 F-150's
We had the same 2 night battery draw that killed the battery several times. Our local dealer finally found the draw. They replaced the instrument cluster and that seems to have solved the concern. I hope this will help others as well.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
Are all these dead battery issues related to the PB trucks or all they all from Dearborn?

I’m beginning to wonder if it is a “bad battery lot” or a wiring harness issue.

Just trying to narrow it down some
Reading from another thread another owner with the same issue had the gateway module re-flashed, and it seemed to correct the problem.

Smithpw1

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 Lead Foot
The whole ‘deep sleep’ mode has really irritated me. I dealt with the power drain issue as well, and Ford remedied that. However, if my truck sits for a day, it goes into deep sleep mode. That’s fine and all but my dome lights don’t come on when I open my door, unless I start the damn thing.
Glad I don’t live up north and have to deal with this shit in heavy snow when my truck could be covered.

nothing meaningful to post, just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
The whole ‘deep sleep’ mode has really irritated me. I dealt with the power drain issue as well, and Ford remedied that. However, if my truck sits for a day, it goes into deep sleep mode. That’s fine and all but my dome lights don’t come on when I open my door, unless I start the damn thing.
Glad I don’t live up north and have to deal with this shit in heavy snow when my truck could be covered.

nothing meaningful to post, just my 2 cents.
I don't think it should be doing that after just one day. I can go 3 days without driving my truck and it has never been in a mode with the steps don't deploy and the dome lights don't work. Heck one time I have been gone for 5 days and nothing like that when I got in my truck.

Have you asked your dealer about that?

Smithpw1

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 Lead Foot
I don't think it should be doing that after just one day. I can go 3 days without driving my truck and it has never been in a mode with the steps don't deploy and the dome lights don't work. Heck one time I have been gone for 5 days and nothing like that when I got in my truck.

Have you asked your dealer about that?
I haven’t.

I just assume the dealer won’t know either, plus I rarely go into town near a dealership.

My thoughts are the same, I don’t think it should be going into sleep mode that quickly either. I kind of think it’s the software update they did when they fixed the drain issue.

Simoes

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7EB
I haven’t.

I just assume the dealer won’t know either, plus I rarely go into town near a dealership.

My thoughts are the same, I don’t think it should be going into sleep mode that quickly either. I kind of think it’s the software update they did when they fixed the drain issue.

Deep Sleep Mode is designed to conserve battery power. This setting is activated when your vehicle is inactive for 14 consecutive days or, in your case, the battery voltage drops below 9.5 volts.

For example, I was washing my truck one afternoon and had the key fob in my pocket. As I moved around the truck, the welcome lighting and LED lights continuously activated over the duration of time I spent washing the truck. After about an hour, I got the deep sleep mode message as the battery voltage dropped.

It sounds like you have some type of battery drain or faulty battery.

Eoseabee133

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 XLT SPORT
Occupation
Truck Driver
My welcome lights don't even work now maybe this is why?
Ford F-150 Deep Sleep Mode [updated with Detroit Free Press article about 12v battery drain issue] Screenshot_20221027-210349_FordPass

Ford F-150 Deep Sleep Mode [updated with Detroit Free Press article about 12v battery drain issue] Screenshot_20221027-210349_FordPass

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
The information should be in the service manual for electrical trouble shooting. I know that on my Lincoln, a bunch of modules run for exactly 45min. before turning off and even afterward, it still draws more current than my other vehicles, despite being in spec. I can only imagine on the newer trucks.

Many people have been reporting their batteries being weak from the start and reading less than 12v. If that is the case, I imagine that the Deep Sleep mode will activate fairly soon. A bad battery won’t keep a charge very long.

One of the best ways to see if your battery is weak is how much the voltage drops when you crank the engine over.

I’ve got a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter that works great for testing batteries as well as diagnosing charging system problems. They really ought to have a digital volt readout on the dash.

9E0A4F42-D29A-446C-8CA6-72328C6F6332.jpeg

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor
Hi Pedaldude, where did you purchase it, and how much does it cost?
Sponsored